Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
samscafeamericain

Compare & Contrast

Personally, I wouldn't down grade one crime against another. Both deserved to have the appropriate penalties applied but as we know, the law is often a case of what we can get away with.

Personally, I wouldn't down grade one crime against another. Both deserved to have the appropriate penalties applied but as we know, the law is often a case of what we can get away with.

The penal system is not nearly tough enough, which is why these crimes happen. The rapist has destroyed the mind of a young girl for the rest of her life, to me there's only one punishment and that's the rest of his life. Drink fuelled, he will do again when he's released (he will be on his best behaviour to minimise the sentence). The sad thing is that at 28 he's possibly done it before and got away with it because very few rape victims report the crime through fear, trauma and feeling disgusted.

The computer parts fraudster probably wouldn't have got off so lightly in his parent country. £3/4 million in six months and planned £3.5 million fraud is clearly a lack of respect for the system. I'll bet he's spent it as well. Of course he'll change his identity and do it again!

The penal system is not nearly tough enough, which is why these crimes happen. The rapist has destroyed the mind of a young girl for the rest of her life, to me there's only one punishment and that's the rest of his life. Drink fuelled, he will do again when he's released (he will be on his best behaviour to minimise the sentence). The sad thing is that at 28 he's possibly done it before and got away with it because very few rape victims report the crime through fear, trauma and feeling disgusted.

The computer parts fraudster probably wouldn't have got off so lightly in his parent country. £3/4 million in six months and planned £3.5 million fraud is clearly a lack of respect for the system. I'll bet he's spent it as well. Of course he'll change his identity and do it again!

The 'do it again' bit is where the penal system totally fails, EoP.

I can't really think of defrauding the Exchequer and raping a young girl in the same way. With the first there should be preventative measures in place but with the second the victim is completely defenceless.

I'm happy to hear that Kenny McAskill is having a look at the justice system, which appears to be rather flawed.

Crimes like fraud are often reported as victimless crimes but that is often far from the truth. People suffer in all sorts of ways as a result of fraud and the number of people can be far greater than a one on one crime.

Maximum penalties. No mitigation. *bangs gavel*