Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
Pat

Miliband's speech

Miliband had plenty to say for himself in Liverpool today. It was good to hear the 'fast buck' traders and 'asset strippers' berated.

He calls for more manufacturing, the workers and producers of business to be reqarded rather than the predators and called for regulation.

His speech has had a lot of criticism from the business community and the Conservatives who branded it a lurch to the Left - but some just loved it. The Guardian have referred to it as "the most radical analysis of Britain's plight offered by any Labour leader since 1945.

He was strongly applauded when he questioned why Cameron was so eager to cut the 50p tax rate for people earning over £3,000 a week. Only David Cameron, he said, "could believe you make ordinary families work harder by making them poorer and you make the rich harder by making them richer".

Good point, Ed. :)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2011/sep/27/ed-miliband-speech-labour-conference?newsfeed=true

All very well and good, but let's see if he gains power at the next election, and if that brings on any sudden backtracking... :P

All very well and good, but let's see if he gains power at the next election, and if that brings on any sudden backtracking... :P

Who knows, lynnski. :rolleyes: I still think it's good to have politicians speak out against the greed that is so evident in the world of business.

He's certainly making all the right noises, including capping tuition fees at £6,000, which in a perverse sort of way people in England are seeing as a good deal.

A former colleagueof mine was Bertie Ahern's speech writer for many years and indeed wriote many of his finest speeches on social policy. It seems ot me that Milliband has got a good PR and communications team behind him and he is certainly grabbing media attention. And he is certainly on a roll...

In his speech to the Labour conference, party leader Ed Miliband also vowed to end the "something for nothing culture" and wants people who work or volunteer to get priority over benefit claimants on housing lists.

Big ideas but sadly, short on gravitas, IMV.

He's certainly making all the right noises, including capping tuition fees at £6,000, which in a perverse sort of way people in England are seeing as a good deal.

A former colleagueof mine was Bertie Ahern's speech writer for many years and indeed wriote many of his finest speeches on social policy. It seems ot me that Milliband has got a good PR and communications team behind him and he is certainly grabbing media attention. And he is certainly on a roll...

In his speech to the Labour conference, party leader Ed Miliband also vowed to end the "something for nothing culture" and wants people who work or volunteer to get priority over benefit claimants on housing lists.

Big ideas but sadly, short on gravitas, IMV.

Have you listened to his delivery recently - very Tony Blair.

His mention of Tony Blair got booed at Conference yesterday. :lol: I don't know if I am just getting old but he comes across like a shiney faced politics student to me - nae mud on his boots. :lol:

His mention of Tony Blair got booed at Conference yesterday. :lol: I don't know if I am just getting old but he comes across like a shiney faced politics student to me - nae mud on his boots. :lol:

This is one of the problem's we've ran into, harper. It's all about the personalities. Heavens! How did Cameron appeal to anyone? Truth be told I much prefer the other Ed, Mr Balls. However, I enjoyed a lot of Miliband's speech. It resonated with me, and Polly Toynbee. :lol:

Polly Toynbee in the Guardian:

‘Do these monstrous annual endurance tests make and break leaders? IDS's "quiet man" croak destroyed him but Kinnock's brave tirade against Liverpool's militants didn't save him. This speech will gain in reputation as a turning point with all the prime ingredients for a long run-in to the next election. Four years is an eternity for fleshing it out.

All new opposition leaders drop in ratings at first: both pollster Deborah Mattinson and YouGov's Peter Kellner say the crunch test is whether they rise in their second year. Labour is least loathed of the parties – 70% willing to consider voting for them, only 58% able to tolerate the thought of ever voting Tory. His fate may rest with growth and employment figures far beyond his control, but Miliband set out ideas that may well resonate because they well reflect what so many people feel has gone badly wrong.’

I realie that Party Conference is the place for setting our future vision but Milliband can say what he likes. The test will be on whether he can deliver, if voters decided to give him the opportunity.

After so many Uturns and broken promises I am sure many voters are feeling jaded and bored to the teeth with al the noise on the wire. People need solutions, not a shopping bag of special offer coupons.

Of the two Milibands, I prefer Ed. Of the Eds, I like Ed Balls too but to be honest, that's like having to pck the best prize out of a very medicore lucky bag...

I realie that Party Conference is the place for setting our future vision but Milliband can say what he likes. The test will be on whether he can deliver, if voters decided to give him the opportunity.

After so many Uturns and broken promises I am sure many voters are feeling jaded and bored to the teeth with al the noise on the wire. People need solutions, not a shopping bag of special offer coupons.

At this stage they also need to know more about him and what's on his mind. I think folk are smart enough to know that much of it is rhetoric, harper. Like you say they very much need good PR people, however, saying that, I think that there was more revealed about Miliband than previously.

I think what happens in the future with regard to Miliband depends not only on what he has to say but whether or not Cameron and Co can get to grips with anything. At the moment they are intent on one thing and that is pushing forward their very right wing ideology. That seems to be alienating many voters and little wonder.

Of the two Milibands, I prefer Ed. Of the Eds, I like Ed Balls too but to be honest, that's like having to pck the best prize out of a very medicore lucky bag...

:lol: I can't say that you're far out there..

At this stage they also need to know more about him and what's on his mind. I think folk are smart enough to know that much of it is rhetoric, harper. Like you say they very much need good PR people, however, saying that, I think that there was more revealed about Miliband than previously.

I think what happens in the future with regard to Miliband depends not only on what he has to say but whether or not Cameron and Co can get to grips with anything. At the moment they are intent on one thing and that is pushing forward their very right wing ideology. That seems to be alienating many voters and little wonder.

:lol: I can't say that you're far out there..

Harper is always far out Pat :lol:

I agree it is all about the ideology for the tories. If Miliband is seen to be moving further to the left that is no surprise. But they can all talk the talk. Even Salmond. It is a depressing time in politics.

Sadly so many of our politicos go the University - researcher - politics route and we get these insipid, cliched, politicians. The SNP's first term in office was characterised by just how many of their cabinet ministers had actually come from industry and business, what a difference.