Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
Pat

R.E.M. split

The band are parting ways after 31 years performing together. :(

Message on their website:

"To our Fans and Friends: As R.E.M., and as lifelong friends and co-conspirators, we have decided to call it a day as a band. We walk away with a great sense of gratitude, of finality, and of astonishment at all we have accomplished.

It added: ‘To anyone who ever felt touched by our music, our deepest thanks for listening.’

It's not the end of the world as we know it. 31 years is a remarkable lifespan for a band; I hope they are all going to get retirement clocks and a decent pension.

Jimbo

It's not the end of the world as we know it. 31 years is a remarkable lifespan for a band; I hope they are all going to get retirement clocks and a decent pension.

Jimbo

I think finally they lost their religion as the sidewinder slept tonight and he dreamt of a man on the moon, but not everybody hurts!

Once upon a time this news would have had me in tears, but I feel that the band REM ceased to exist quite a long time ago. Once they started making bloated middle of the road rock rather than intelligent, unique music that had something to say, I lost interest. Saw them live in Murrayfield for my 21st birthday pressie (the time of the Monster album), it was an amazing gig. It was a few years after that they started to produce drivel, most of which sounded like the drivel from the previous album, and so on.