Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
harper

Welsh Miners

I've been listening to the news bulletins all morning hoping that these men would be rescused. Sadly, it's looking less likely that anyone will be brought out alive. The early coverage made me think about the miners in my own family and my aunties who used to live in fear evey time their husbands, brothers and sons went off to their shift. With very few mines still in operation these days it's easy to forget that there are people out there carrying out these dangerous jobs.

Very sad news. Let's hope the last one will be found alive.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/

I've been listening to the news bulletins all morning hoping that these men would be rescused. Sadly, it's looking less likely that anyone will be brought out alive. The early coverage made me think about the miners in my own family and my aunties who used to live in fear evey time their husbands, brothers and sons went off to their shift. With very few mines still in operation these days it's easy to forget that there are people out there carrying out these dangerous jobs.

Very sad news. Let's hope the last one will be found alive.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/

Fingers crossed. My mother's father was a Lanarkshire miner who sadly died in his mid 30s from silicosis

Sadly not, Sam. They have just announced that they have found the body of the forth miner. :(

People suffered terrible diseases from working down the pits, as our family called them. My aunt told us that she used to deliberately disable the alarm clock so her husband would miss his shifts. Luckily, the men in our family all moved out of the pits on to other industrial jobs. I always felt a certain ambivalence about the closure of the mines. I was sad (and angry) about the loss of jobs and the communities that were destroyed but also aware of the very real risks these men faced day in, day out and the terrible healh issues that many of them developed as a result of years working in terrible conditons.

Sad and tragic day in the Valleys. :(

Sadly not, Sam. They have just announced that they have found the body of the forth miner. :(

People suffered terrible diseases from working down the pits, as our family called them. My aunt told us that she used to deliberately disable the alarm clock so her husband would miss his shifts. Luckily, the men in our family all moved out of the pits on to other industrial jobs. I always felt a certain ambivalence about the closure of the mines. I was sad (and angry) about the loss of jobs and the communities that were destroyed but also aware of the very real risks these men faced day in, day out and the terrible healh issues that many of them developed as a result of years working in terrible conditons.

Sad and tragic day in the Valleys. :(

I agree. not much else to add but to say I hope the families find strength to cope. I lost a much loved brother due to a work related accident.

Very sad and unexpected. The initial news report sounded very optimistic.