Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
Pat

Late Opening Shops in the City Centre

In a bid to compete with out of town shopping malls, from this week-end some of Glasgow's shops in the St Enoch Centre will open late.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/editor-s-picks/shop-till-you-drop-later-1.1121164

I've often thought that our city streets can look pretty dismal at nights with all the shops closed and that the people with the money to spend often finish work just as the shops close.

I'm never in the St Enoch Centre but it will be interesting to see if Debenhams does a roaring trade on Friday and Saturday nights. It would make the streets much livelier with more of a mix of people and I think more attractive to tourists.

And hopefully create more jobs.

Saturday shopping is a complete no brainer for me so late night shoppiing really appeals. Of course Sundays are for browsing the markets... perfect. :D

And hopefully create more jobs.

Saturday shopping is a complete no brainer for me so late night shoppiing really appeals. Of course Sundays are for browsing the markets... perfect. :D

I think more late opening shops would bring more money into the city, more life and more tourists. The restaurants could start having 'after shopping deals' as well as 'pre-theatre'.

It would also be easier for lots of mammies to go for a wee browse in the shops minus the weans.

I'll no be browsing the Barras anytime soon, harper. I fairly miss the old Briggate.

Some more week-end markets would also give a whole lift to the shopping experience. The street markets were very busy during the Merchant City Festival and such a great atmosphere.

The Coonsil should put some women in charge of their Shopping Policies. The men are quite happy with B & Q and their long opening hours. :lol:

I think more late opening shops would bring more money into the city, more life and more tourists. The restaurants could start having 'after shopping deals' as well as 'pre-theatre'.

It would also be easier for lots of mammies to go for a wee browse in the shops minus the weans.

I'll no be browsing the Barras anytime soon, harper. I fairly miss the old Briggate.

Some more week-end markets would also give a whole lift to the shopping experience. The street markets were very busy during the Merchant City Festival and such a great atmosphere.

The Coonsil should put some women in charge of their Shopping Policies. The men are quite happy with B & Q and their long opening hours. :lol:

It's a good idea but I don't know if the St Enoch Centre is the most attractive shopping mall in town. I think the Princes Square shops would do well as people go there for a night out anyway. More markets would be great. I love the Farmers Market.

Glasgow prides itself on being a shopping attraction for tourists and a lot of them would probably enjoy more of an opportunity to persue their reason for visiting.

I visited the Barras a few years back and felt it was a shadow of its former self. :( Farmers' Markets are springing up all over the place but I prefer a market full of books, sinks, coatstands, wardrobes and flea bitten fur coats... :lol:

I was in Portobello Road yesterday, queuing for a coffee and got talking with one of the stall holders. She was decked out in very glam costume jewelery and looked amazing Anyway, she starts of by telling me she is in her 80s and has just been dumped by her husband of 35 years. I make the right sympathetic noises and she goes on to tell me he made her homeless by selling their house while she was in hospital receiving treatment for cancer "and me in my late 70s" says she. :rolleyes: By the time the conversation was finished, she was a coffee and two necklaces up on the deal and her age was hovering round the late 60s. :lol:

I visited the Barras a few years back and felt it was a shadow of its former self. :( Farmers' Markets are springing up all over the place but I prefer a market full of books, sinks, coatstands, wardrobes and flea bitten fur coats... :lol:

We haven't got a decent fleamarket in the city anymore, harper. The Council would have been far better helping the genuine stallholders at Paddy's Market at the Briggait retain their stalls and give the place a wee facelift. Perfectly situated down near the river in the City Centre it had a great atmosphere for many years and many wonderful bargains could be found.

I was in Portobello Road yesterday, queuing for a coffee and got talking with one of the stall holders. She was decked out in very glam costume jewelery and looked amazing Anyway, she starts of by telling me she is in her 80s and has just been dumped by her husband of 35 years. I make the right sympathetic noises and she goes on to tell me he made her homeless by selling their house while she was in hospital receiving treatment for cancer "and me in my late 70s" says she. :rolleyes: By the time the conversation was finished, she was a coffee and two necklaces up on the deal and her age was hovering round the late 60s. :lol:

Similarly we had many characters in the old days at the Barras and the Briggait, harper. It doesn't sound as though this lady's sad ass of a husband caused her too much grief. :lol:

Thankfully we've got plenty of retro and vintage shops in town, offering an excellent opportunity for a rummage. :)