Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
willie campbell

The Schoolboys and Girls Exhibition,Kelvin Hall

Hi,

do any of you remember going to the Schoolboy&Girls Exhibition held annually in the Kelvin Hall in the 50s and early 60s?.This was a highlight of the year for many schoolkids.We were living in E.K. and I,and some friends travelled in by bus for a grand day going round all the stalls and trying out all the various things on offer,before spending our pocket money on what took our fancy.There were stalls,selling toys,model kits,science topics,military...in fact you name it,and there was something there for boys and girls alike.

In my ten year old wisdom,I decided a grass snake costing half a crown from the pet section was just what I wanted.Having chosen the one i fancied the man placed it an a polythene bag and off we went to get the subway into town to catch the bus to E.K.Naturally,being 10, I took the snake out in the carriage to have a closer look,and hopefully startle the other mainly female passengers.Well it worked,and before you could say Jack Robinson,it was off onto the carriage floor,and down in between the wooden slats,making itself completely rigid and inaccessible.The screams of the lady passengers who witnessed this,and the guard who was called over will certainly live with me.This was snake on a train,later remade as the film"snakes on a plane".Eventually we extricated the snake,were put off the subway,and had to walk the rest of the way to the bus station.Well blow me,if the same thing didn't happen on the bus.Strange that.Screams,feet being lifted,shopping bags up off the floor,as the bus came to a halt while everyone looked for the reptile once again.We never did find it,and perhaps it made its home on the number 77 bus,ferrying between Glasgow and E.K.,or maybe it got off at High Burnside,met a nice wee lady snake and settled down there and had a family.I'd like to think so!

In retrospect I think my mothers heart must have been roasted with me,

Willie.x

Hi,

do any of you remember going to the Schoolboy&Girls Exhibition held annually in the Kelvin Hall in the 50s and early 60s?.This was a highlight of the year for many schoolkids.We were living in E.K. and I,and some friends travelled in by bus for a grand day going round all the stalls and trying out all the various things on offer,before spending our pocket money on what took our fancy.There were stalls,selling toys,model kits,science topics,military...in fact you name it,and there was something there for boys and girls alike.

In my ten year old wisdom,I decided a grass snake costing half a crown from the pet section was just what I wanted.Having chosen the one i fancied the man placed it an a polythene bag and off we went to get the subway into town to catch the bus to E.K.Naturally,being 10, I took the snake out in the carriage to have a closer look,and hopefully startle the other mainly female passengers.Well it worked,and before you could say Jack Robinson,it was off onto the carriage floor,and down in between the wooden slats,making itself completely rigid and inaccessible.The screams of the lady passengers who witnessed this,and the guard who was called over will certainly live with me.This was snake on a train,later remade as the film"snakes on a plane".Eventually we extricated the snake,were put off the subway,and had to walk the rest of the way to the bus station.Well blow me,if the same thing didn't happen on the bus.Strange that.Screams,feet being lifted,shopping bags up off the floor,as the bus came to a halt while everyone looked for the reptile once again.We never did find it,and perhaps it made its home on the number 77 bus,ferrying between Glasgow and E.K.,or maybe it got off at High Burnside,met a nice wee lady snake and settled down there and had a family.I'd like to think so!

In retrospect I think my mothers heart must have been roasted with me,

Willie.x

That was quite an escapade, Willie. You sound a right wee so 'n' so. I like the 'blow me, if the same thing didn't happen again' - no lesson learned. :lol:

I could cope better with a wee snake than a mouse.

I'm afraid we missed the exhibition - I never heard about it.