Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
Pat

Scottish Studies

Scotland’s history, culture, art, food and languages are to be brought together at schools in a new Scottish Studies course.

"In an interview with The Herald, Michael Russell, the Education Secretary, said he wanted to create a new subject of Scottish Studies because teaching had become too “fragmented”.

No details of what level the topic will be studied at have been revealed, but Mr Russell has already asked curriculum body Learning and Teaching Scotland to develop the course – with a view to more detailed proposals being brought forward by the autumn."

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/education/scottish-studies-to-be-new-subject-1.1107227

I think it's a good idea. I always thought it strange that you could gain a Higher History and come out of a Scottish University with a degree in History without having studied any Scottish History.

I think it would be great for children to learn more about their own country and culture. I briefly caught some discussion on the News and it appears that Labour are not happy with this proposal believing that it's a move by SNP to gain political advantage.

Yeah, it does seem a bit odd that hardly anywhere teaches Scottish history. It was one of the options on the DACE course I did last year, and I almost took it, but when I talked it over with the course adviser I decided to do Economic and Social history instead, as I felt it was a better fit with the Sociology module, and I was proved right. But even within this module, it was all centred on England. Scotland had a slightly different history with regards to the Poor Law and workhouses etc, but the lecturer always deviated slightly from the course work to slot something in that was relevant to Scotland. I think that was a good idea, as it held our interest more, discussing things like the tanks being sent into George Square, and how the Temperance movement was once very big in Glasgow :lol:

I didn't realize that the proposal was to have the subject compulsory in both primary and secondary schools. Some cries of 'Nationalist Indoctrination'.

Opposition politicians voiced concerns after the Scottish Government revealed the new subject, which explores the country's history, literature, language and culture, would be compulsory.

Dr Alasdair Allan, the SNP's minister for learning and skills, outlined his vision for the course as a study was published showing 90% of the public support its introduction.

He said the topic, first unveiled in the SNP's 2011 election manifesto, would improve pupils' knowledge of Scotland and would be tested by an exam.

I think it might be a better idea to include Scottish Studies in the Primary Curriculum and then as an option when kids get to choose courses in Secondary School.

He anticipates that their would be a 'wide variety of material about Scotland made available in Scottish schools'.

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/News/Politics/article/16605/snp-plan-for-scottish-school-studies-course-sparks-indoctrination-row.html

Makes me think of one year when I was on holiday in Canada and my sister, without warning me, told my niece and nephew's teacher that I would come into their primary school and talk to the kids about Scotland. I can't remember everything I chatted about with them but I did give them a demonstration of the Highland Fling. :lol:

I think this is a fantastic idea that should be compulsory at primary level. It is important for people to have a sound knowledge of their own history as a foundation for further interests and studies. A substantital amount of the school cariiculum is is already devoted to paricular aspects of British history, including Irish and Carribean history, it seems negligent and offensive, not to include Scottish (and Welsh) history to the same degree, IMV. I can't se how anyone would be against this.

I think this is a fantastic idea that should be compulsory at primary level. It is important for people to have a sound knowledge of their own history as a foundation for further interests and studies. A substantital amount of the school cariiculum is is already devoted to paricular aspects of British history, including Irish and Carribean history, it seems negligent and offensive, not to include Scottish (and Welsh) history to the same degree, IMV. I can't se how anyone would be against this.

Michael Russell seems dead set on the plan and has called for curriculum development by Learning and Teaching Scotland to bring together: "The study of Scotland’s history, culture, art, food and languages are to be brought together under a new school topic."

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/education/scottish-studies-to-be-new-subject-1.1107227

I think we learned to make shortbread right enough but definitely not oat cakes and we certainly skipped over Scottish Literature and History. English was all about Shakespeare. I went to school in Dumbarton and what a fabulous opportunity to learn about local history. We knew that it was 'The Ancient Capital of Strathclyde' but no trips to Bruce's Cave or Dumbarton Castle.

We schoolkids investigated the cave ourselves at lunch time and similarly as primary weans we knew of the Antonine Wall in Duntocher - part of it was beside the bakery, where you could buy real lemonade.:) However, no school outings to learn about the area. A lost opportunity.

Jings Pat, I must off the day they covered that. :lol: The only Scottish history I rmemeber from primary school was the story of Kate Barless, on acount of the fact that I nearly fainted and the teacher had to get me a glass of milk. The story still gives me the heebie jeebies.

http://www.douglashistory.co.uk/history/catherinedouglas.htm

If the new Scottish carriculum includes Gaelic and Scottish food then I'll give it a miss thanks.... no offence, btw.:P

Jings Pat, I must off the day they covered that. :lol: The only Scottish history I rmemeber from primary school was the story of Kate Barless, on acount of the fact that I nearly fainted and the teacher had to get me a glass of milk. The story still gives me the heebie jeebies.

http://www.douglashistory.co.uk/history/catherinedouglas.htm

Yikes! Our curriculum missed that!! No, harper, what I was trying to say was that there were opportunities to cover local history that the weans had some awareness of but there was little or no input through the schools' curriculum.

If the new Scottish carriculum includes Gaelic and Scottish food then I'll give it a miss thanks.... no offence, btw.:P

Gaelic should be optional but every boy should know how to make a clootie dumpling and the lassies learn how to smoke a herring. :lol:

A substantital amount of the school cariiculum is is already devoted to paricular aspects of British history, including Irish and Carribean history, it seems negligent and offensive, not to include Scottish (and Welsh) history to the same degree,

Evidence please, and evidence is not what is produced in the Daily (cure/cause of cancer) Mail.

What's your obsession with the Daily Mail, Dex? You seem awfully famliar with the content of a paper you claim to despise. Do you read it regularly just to remind yourself to have a go at other people?

My son studied both Irish and Caribbean subjects at school, as part of History, Humanities and British culture. I see this as a very postive thing. Have you got a problem with these subjects being part of the carriculum? Would you like me to email his projects or are you happy to take off your imaginery wig and gown?

Good for you. As the History curriculum specifically mentions neither Irish or Caribbean history there is nothing stopping the study of Scottish or Welsh. I take it the schools in East London still have some choice in what can be taught.

According to the Mail "At present, the only historical figures in the entire secondary history curriculum are William Wilberforce, the architect of the abolition of the slave trade, and Olaudah Equiano, a freed slave whose autobiography helped persuade MPs to ban slavery"

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1348752/Curriculum-review-History-geography-lessons-basics.html#ixzz1VhPKgOf9

I gather it's a popular read in the South.

Good for you. As the History curriculum specifically mentions neither Irish or Caribbean history there is nothing stopping the study of Scottish or Welsh. I take it the schools in East London still have some choice in what can be taught.

According to the Mail "At present, the only historical figures in the entire secondary history curriculum are William Wilberforce, the architect of the abolition of the slave trade, and Olaudah Equiano, a freed slave whose autobiography helped persuade MPs to ban slavery"

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1348752/Curriculum-review-History-geography-lessons-basics.html#ixzz1VhPKgOf9

I think the Daily Mail is pretty popular in the North too, Dex.

When I studied Higher History we didn't cover Scottish History. However, it did include Bismarck and the Unification of Germany. Very interesting.

It'll also be interesting to see how Russell's ideas shape up.

My O grade history was the 1st World War, the Russian Revolution, and the Industrial Revolution, which of course included various references to Scottish people, places, etc, such as New Lanark, but only very vaguely. 1st and 2nd year history had covered the Egyptians, the Romans, etc, mostly focussed on more 'exotic' histories than our own.

Read more: http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz1VhPKgOf9

I can't imagine why anyone would be looking at looking at circulation comparisons for the Daily Mail but each to their own, Dex.

From what people are posting, it seems the History carriculum is live and thriving, despite the paired down essentials you highlighted. A good foundation in Scottish Studies sounds like a great development in education and it's a shame it is being politicised, IMV.

Are you for it or against it, it's hard to tell?