Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End

Further to my introductory post, I'm really on a mission to put the last pieces of the Edgar jigsaw together. AND I'M HOMESICK!! So I'm driving up from Southampton on 31st August to hopefully finalise the research, even if it takes 10days!!

It's funny how you only REALLY appreciate a place when you move away! It's the PEOPLE that count. Humour is inbred in most Glasgow people, a magic recipe sadly lacking in the South of England. Sayings such as "Awa ya go ya wee tumshie" which translates into " You're having me on, mush" just doesn't have the same hearty tone as the Glasgow expression, especially as the Glasgow Lingo is accompanied with a knowing smile as opposed to the serious face down here! Of course, they don't speak PARLIAMOGLASGOW down here, which can be useful. "Awaayanwashyurwig" just goes over their head, but at least it gives me a smile saying it!

I've been away for too long (2 years since my last Glasgow visit)and now want to seriously consider a move back up. I'm about to do a self financed NEBOSH course in Occupational Health and Safety at College (aged 57 never too young!) and hope I can get a contract in Glasgow in the New Year.

Oh, incidentally, I found my Grandad had a blacksmiths shop at 31 Anderson Street, Partick in 1941.

Hey, great stuff, Edgersof Partick . :D

Your traiing course sounds fab and your're right, it's never too late to learn. I am going back to school myself in September to do History of Art and I am only few years behind you. My nest has emptied and it's a subject I've always wanted to do. A few of my other mature friends are taking up educaiton again and I heard of one man taking up ballet at the sme age as you. B)

Keeps us posted on your move and welcome home! When you have time, I'd love to hear more about your Gradad's business and how you found out about it. :)

Further to my introductory post, I'm really on a mission to put the last pieces of the Edgar jigsaw together. AND I'M HOMESICK!! So I'm driving up from Southampton on 31st August to hopefully finalise the research, even if it takes 10days!!

It's funny how you only REALLY appreciate a place when you move away! It's the PEOPLE that count. Humour is inbred in most Glasgow people, a magic recipe sadly lacking in the South of England. Sayings such as "Awa ya go ya wee tumshie" which translates into " You're having me on, mush" just doesn't have the same hearty tone as the Glasgow expression, especially as the Glasgow Lingo is accompanied with a knowing smile as opposed to the serious face down here! Of course, they don't speak PARLIAMOGLASGOW down here, which can be useful. "Awaayanwashyurwig" just goes over their head, but at least it gives me a smile saying it!

I've been away for too long (2 years since my last Glasgow visit)and now want to seriously consider a move back up. I'm about to do a self financed NEBOSH course in Occupational Health and Safety at College (aged 57 never too young!) and hope I can get a contract in Glasgow in the New Year.

Oh, incidentally, I found my Grandad had a blacksmiths shop at 31 Anderson Street, Partick in 1941.

'Tumshie' is a great word. A nice affectionate insult. :)

Keep us up to speed with how you get on with your research. A lot of people have an interest in Partick and its past:

Hey, great stuff, Edgersof Partick . :D

Your traiing course sounds fab and your're right, it's never too late to learn. I am going back to school myself in September to do History of Art and I am only few years behind you. My nest has emptied and it's a subject I've always wanted to do. A few of my other mature friends are taking up educaiton again and I heard of one man taking up ballet at the sme age as you. B)

Keeps us posted on your move and welcome home! When you have time, I'd love to hear more about your Gradad's business and how you found out about it. :)

Absolutely agree, harper. Good for you EoP and that History of Art Course sounds fantastic. Lynnski also forging ahead with her studies. You've provided m with inspiration.

I'm thinking about ditching my student support work and getting back in front of the teacher. :)

When I see EdgarsofPartick, I think I should be putting in an order for fine wines... :D

It's true about study, we are all living longer and there is lot's of great stuff out there. I am on a study trip to Barcelona come March and St Peterberg next year... not that that had any influence on my choice of subject... :lol: .

Humour is a cultural matter, Edgars.... Come hame and get a laugh. :)

When I see EdgarsofPartick, I think I should be putting in an order for fine wines... :D

It's true about study, we are all living longer and there is lot's of great stuff out there. I am on a study trip to Barcelona come March and St Peterberg next year... not that that had any influence on my choice of subject... :lol: .

I'm proud of you, Haper (if you don't mind).

I am thinking of checking out what DACE have on offer as the way things are going I might live until I'm a hundred. So plenty of time. :lol:

I think that all us wans wie the silver streaks should overwhelm DACE with applications and show just what a demand there is for life long learning.

After all we know can work computers. :lol:

In response to "Harper", I registered with Ancenstry.co.uk and although I knew most of my family tree, Edgar-Kirkparick, they came up with a phone book of 1940 and 1941 which had my Grandad listed with a phone number (Western- followed by 4 digits)and 31 Anderson Street. He would have needed a phone for his business.

Regarding Adult Education, I think the older we get the more knowledge we crave! Failing is not an option.

History of Art....well you live (and I will soon) in an amazing City of Art. My favourite painting is in the Glasgow Art Galleries, seen on my last visit 2 years ago, and is "The Fire" depicting a watermill on fire, painted in the 1600's. I think all Glasgow people have an Art side in them (even if they don't admit it!)because they see it everyday in Glasgow with stunning Victorian and Georgian architecture all around! Let's hope the City Planners are no longer destructive of astonishing buildings! My old school (Broomhill Primary) was a way not to do it!!

I take my hat (if I had one!) off to you. Enjoy you foreign "course studies"!

I'm proud of you, Haper (if you don't mind).

I am thinking of checking out what DACE have on offer as the way things are going I might live until I'm a hundred. So plenty of time. :lol:

I think that all us wans wie the silver streaks should overwhelm DACE with applications and show just what a demand there is for life long learning.

After all we know can work computers. :lol:

You go for it Canny Lass because you never know what's round the corner. Don't waste a minute.:)

In response to "Harper", I registered with Ancenstry.co.uk and although I knew most of my family tree, Edgar-Kirkparick, they came up with a phone book of 1940 and 1941 which had my Grandad listed with a phone number (Western- followed by 4 digits)and 31 Anderson Street. He would have needed a phone for his business.

Regarding Adult Education, I think the older we get the more knowledge we crave! Failing is not an option.

History of Art....well you live (and I will soon) in an amazing City of Art. My favourite painting is in the Glasgow Art Galleries, seen on my last visit 2 years ago, and is "The Fire" depicting a watermill on fire, painted in the 1600's. I think all Glasgow people have an Art side in them (even if they don't admit it!)because they see it everyday in Glasgow with stunning Victorian and Georgian architecture all around! Let's hope the City Planners are no longer destructive of astonishing buildings! My old school (Broomhill Primary) was a way not to do it!!

I take my hat (if I had one!) off to you. Enjoy you foreign "course studies"!

Thanks Edgar.... safe journey home on the 31st and I look forward to reading your posts.

I can only offer encouragement EdgarsofPartick. I moved back recently and this is the very best summer I have had in many years. The Glasgow lingo as you put it has put a whole lot of smiles on my face. You can add to that great restaurants and plenty of live music.

Hope you will be successful with your family jigsaw.

I can only offer encouragement EdgarsofPartick. I moved back recently and this is the very best summer I have had in many years. The Glasgow lingo as you put it has put a whole lot of smiles on my face. You can add to that great restaurants and plenty of live music.

Hope you will be successful with your family jigsaw.

Might betime for a swally with new members

Cheers for the encouragement Rory. I love music and remember going to the Kelvin Hall with my girlfriend and watching Leonard Cohen sing, which was a "mini trend" then but less so now. I have already looked up the SECC listings and wonder how Crosby and Nash will do without Stills and Neil Young! I watched the Music in the Park on telly recently and loved it.

As far as Maggs's suggestion of meeting up for a swally is concerned, it's a great idea! If there was any possibility it could happen between 31st August and approximately 6th September, I definitely would be there! Perhaps a new thread is needed to gauge interest. Pat, do you want me to start a WEST END PUB MEET thread or would you prefer to do it as it is your website after all (for which we are all gratefull), or Maggs as it was her brilliant idea?

Cheers for the encouragement Rory. I love music and remember going to the Kelvin Hall with my girlfriend and watching Leonard Cohen sing, which was a "mini trend" then but less so now. I have already looked up the SECC listings and wonder how Crosby and Nash will do without Stills and Neil Young! I watched the Music in the Park on telly recently and loved it.

As far as Maggs's suggestion of meeting up for a swally is concerned, it's a great idea! If there was any possibility it could happen between 31st August and approximately 6th September, I definitely would be there! Perhaps a new thread is needed to gauge interest. Pat, do you want me to start a WEST END PUB MEET thread or would you prefer to do it as it is your website after all (for which we are all gratefull), or Maggs as it was her brilliant idea?

No end of good music in town, EdgarsofPartick.

Would be nice to have a meet up. Either you are Maggs go for it and I'll check the diary. :)

Thanks Pat. Ok Maggs do you want to start a new WEST END PUB MEET as it was your excelent idea or would you prefer me to do it?

You do it Edgar, simply because I work shifts and don't want to organise something I might not be able to attend. It would be nice to see the posters SamC and Nota as they both seem to be busy at swally times, so maybe we could co-ordinate it to suit us all.

You do it Edgar, simply because I work shifts and don't want to organise something I might not be able to attend. It would be nice to see the posters SamC and Nota as they both seem to be busy at swally times, so maybe we could co-ordinate it to suit us all.

Strange you should mention Nota, Maggs. He's not been around for a very long time.

Hopefully we can get a date where you can make it. EdgarofP seems to be fairly flexible.