Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Pat

Clean Glasgow

Not before time we've got a campaign aimed at making our city a cleaner and safer place; with everyone asked to play their part.

Glasgow City Council has launched a £4m clean-up campaign to tackle litter, fly-tipping, graffiti and other anti-social behaviour.

Clean Glasgow is working with local neighbourhoods and businesses to help clean up city streets.

http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/en/residents/cleanglasgow

You can report issues by phoning: 0800 027 7027 Or email: clean@glasgow.gov.uk

In case you're unsure what litter, illegal dumping and grafitti is they've provided a gallery. :rolleyes:

http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/en/Residents/CleanGlasgow/PhotoGallery/

Not before time we've got a campaign aimed at making our city a cleaner and safer place; with everyone asked to play their part.

Glasgow City Council has launched a £4m clean-up campaign to tackle litter, fly-tipping, graffiti and other anti-social behaviour.

Clean Glasgow is working with local neighbourhoods and businesses to help clean up city streets.

http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/en/residents/cleanglasgow

You can report issues by phoning: 0800 027 7027 Or email: clean@glasgow.gov.uk

In case you're unsure what litter, illegal dumping and grafitti is they've provided a gallery. :rolleyes:

http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/en/Residents/CleanGlasgow/PhotoGallery/

I haven't read all your post, Pat. What I have wondered about after eg seeing Boy George cleaning street, as to why this country does not send those sentenced to "community service" out there cleaning, removing graffiti and clearing communal gardens that are overgrown. Does anyone know how to find out how many community service hours are allocated in a council area and what they are being asked to do ?

I haven't read all your post, Pat. What I have wondered about after eg seeing Boy George cleaning street, as to why this country does not send those sentenced to "community service" out there cleaning, removing graffiti and clearing communal gardens that are overgrown. Does anyone know how to find out how many community service hours are allocated in a council area and what they are being asked to do ?

I haven't read all your post, hingmie. :P Just kiddin'. :lol:

The approach you suggest could get interesting if litter laws were ever applied. The litter louts could serve their sentence out cleaning up the streets.

I would love to see the streets free of chewing gum. It's all over the steps at The Royal Concert Hall. I think part of this campaign should include asking shops to stop selling this stuff. Why can't folk with bad breath just brush their teeth or suck soor plooms?

I haven't read all your post, hingmie. :P Just kiddin'. :lol:

The approach you suggest could get interesting if litter laws were ever applied. The litter louts could serve their sentence out cleaning up the streets.

I would love to see the streets free of chewing gum. It's all over the steps at The Royal Concert Hall. I think part of this campaign should include asking shops to stop selling this stuff. Why can't folk with bad breath just brush their teeth or suck soor plumes?

I believe that in some countries chewing gum is not allowed to be sold due to the mess it makes. But why do do folk spit it out on the street? Why does anyone spit ? I have been nauseated at times watching young men(they seem the main culprits) "clearing" their throat and spitting the result onto the street.Why?

I believe that in some countries chewing gum is not allowed to be sold due to the mess it makes. But why do do folk spit it out on the street? Why does anyone spit ? I have been nauseated at times watching young men(they seem the main culprits) "clearing" their throat and spitting the result onto the street.Why?

They haven't got a tissue and their chewing gum's lost its flavour.

Well, that could be part of the reason. It will be interesting to see if the campaign has any impact. I hope so. I loved living in Hillhead apart from the major litter problem.

The best way to access the Community Payback Service is via your local councillor.

You'll get better results if you can organise a request from a community council or a residents' group or any other group of local busybodies keen to see people being humiliated in public.

The best way to access the Community Payback Service is via your local councillor.

You'll get better results if you can organise a request from a community council or a residents' group or any other group of local busybodies keen to see people being humiliated in public.

Yawn.

So you disapprove of the concept of community service do you? What would you rather, we lock everyone who's committed very minor offences in prison and throw away the keys? Just how many new prisons would we need to build to accommodate all these master criminals?

:lol:

Now, now, G12b, not everyone wants to bring back the birch and some Community Councillors are actually interested in their neighbourhoods. Be fair.

I can't stand chewing gum, bubble gum, I can slightly see the attraction as there is some skill involved and developmental opportunities as the chowers go for the biggest bubble and pop they've ever had. But it should be gotten rid of.

I think this Clean Campaign should have rewards for shops that stop selling the stuff, take care of their rubbage (have you seen the outside of some westend shops?) and put up their own litter bin. Responsible shopkeepers could contribute a lot to this campaign and maybe the Council could reward them with a teenie wee discount in their rates because they're getting hammered.

Yawn.

So you disapprove of the concept of community service do you? What would you rather, we lock everyone who's committed very minor offences in prison and throw away the keys? Just how many new prisons would we need to build to accommodate all these master criminals?

How many prisons are we going to have to build to accommodate those convicted of the many, as yet unspecified, sectarian crimes?

Don't ask MacAskill, although I concede he's best known for freeing up one place in Gateside, MacAskill doesn't answer question or allow himself to be interviewed, he just issues statements.

How many prisons are we going to have to build to accommodate those convicted of the many, as yet unspecified, sectarian crimes?

You worried?

I see another 'Kill Neil Lennon' website moron was arrested this morning.

Back on topic.

Have you noticed the number of litter bins on the pavements that are literally brimming over with rubbish scattered on the streets. Should the campaign include ensuring that there are adequate levels of bins around. We could be doing with some in the parks.

And while we are about it - how about the resurrection of public conveniences. Who decided we no longer needed those?

You worried?

I see another 'Kill Neil Lennon' website moron was arrested this morning.

Aye. For Breach of the Peace. Nothing new here. Nothing to see. Move along now.

Back on topic.

Have you noticed the number of litter bins on the pavements that are literally brimming over with rubbish scattered on the streets. Should the campaign include ensuring that there are adequate levels of bins around. We could be doing with some in the parks.

And while we are about it - how about the resurrection of public conveniences. Who decided we no longer needed those?

There isn't the money to empty pavement bins. It comes out of the same budget that's just bought loads of huge wheelybins so they don't have to be emptied so often.

It's a conspiracy between the SNP and Tena Lady.

There isn't the money to empty pavement bins. It comes out of the same budget that's just bought loads of huge wheelybins so they don't have to be emptied so often.

Are you talking about the wheely bins you see on the pavements - they may be huge but there's certainly not a huge amount.

However, the Council seem to have spent a huge amount on the many, and very ugly flower containers. Dreadful black plastic things that just about manage to detract from the beauty of the flowers.

They've got massive containers outside Kelvingrove and you see some on railings. Whoever decided on that design certainly doesn't sit on the good taste committee.

The Council is soon going to switch to fortnightly bin collections , supposedly to encourage more recycling.

I don't know yet if this includes the whole West End.

I think it will cause a problem in the back courts and people will be forced to dump their rubbish in the street which will then create another problem. Not very 'Clean' Glasgow.

The Council is soon going to switch to fortnightly bin collections , supposedly to encourage more recycling.

I don't know yet if this includes the whole West End.

I think it will cause a problem in the back courts and people will be forced to dump their rubbish in the street which will then create another problem. Not very 'Clean' Glasgow.

What a joke. More than likely to save money, kelvinview.