Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
samscafeamericain

Maddie McCann

The parents of Madeline McCann are awaiting DNA test results after a young girl suspected of being the missing child was spotted in India.

Private investigators of Kate and Gerry McCann say they are working with police in the northern city of Leh.

They were alerted after a British woman spotted a girl that she thought to be Maddie.

She would now be 8-years-old.

Indian police have taken swabs so that DNA tests can be carried out.

Madeline was 3-years-old when she went missing on a family holiday in Portugal back in May 2007

Does anyone trust private investigators? After Mulcaire, will anyone ever again?

I wouldn't mind so much if the McCanns were wasting their own money on this nonsense but they managed to 'extract' the money from a gullible public.

Does anyone trust private investigators? After Mulcaire, will anyone ever again?

I wouldn't mind so much if the McCanns were wasting their own money on this nonsense but they managed to 'extract' the money from a gullible public.

I think there will be trustworthy private investigators just as there are very good and honourable journalists. They are not all Mulcaires or Coulsons.

It would be wonderful if the McCanns search for their missing child was successful.

Folk like you will never let it go. [post edited - personal abuse]

It appears that the McCanns were sure the girl was not their daughter. Sad their hopes were dashed.

People contribute to all sorts of funds of their own volition. If it's not your money that is being "wasted" , as you put it, then I don't see what you have to be worried about.

Personally, I wouldn't get involved in something like this but am not about to dictate to those that do.

People contribute to all sorts of funds of their own volition. If it's not your money that is being "wasted" , as you put it, then I don't see what you have to be worried about.

Personally, I wouldn't get involved in something like this but am not about to dictate to those that do.

You are right on this one Harper. It is up to people where they want to contribute funds. It is astonishing the ill feeling this situation has generated. I cannot understand why people feel anything other than sympathy. Or as Snowwhite has said on another thread 'feel empathy'. There can hardly be a worse thing happen to a family.

I do think there are a nunber of issues that are odd about this whole case and by that I am not referring to any personal culpability on behalf of the parents.

I think that by mounting such a high profile campign they lost sympathy in some quarters and attracted antagonism over their critical view of local officials. They also ran the risk of attracting every emotional vampire, morbidity tourist and crook, promising leads, services and resolutions. What parent, in that emotional state, could make a reasoned judgement on that?

Only the people closest to the McCanns know their views and feelings. Unfortunately, neither of them were good media subjects and I think they were judged harshly as a result.

The fact that they were middle class professionals, who had the contacts, skills and resources to galvanise a public media campaign, didn't sit well with some of the general public. A popular view seems to be that they neglected their weans and therefore don't deserve any sympathy what so ever.

It's a strange one. It would be wonderful if the little girl was found. I can't imagine parents, even ones as unappealing as the McCanns, ever give up hope of finding their lost child. Unlike others, the McCanns have the means to continue their search and they are endlessly castigated for it because of that fateful mistake they made on that terrible night. If they had been judged blameless in their actions and come across as deserving of our sympathy, no one would be uttering a word about this fund.

...IMV.

This is, as ever, an issue that divides public opinion. Nobody on this forum, or in the wider general public ACTUALLY know what happened that night in Portugal. We can debate and raise conjecture all we want, but none of us know the truth, and possibly never will. Can we please just keep the discussion civil.

Perhaps the 'contributions' (a word almost as dear to the McCann family as 'donations') above could be added to the scams thread where they'd feel more at home.

I'm intrigued by the assertion that "Nobody on this forum, or in the wider general public ACTUALLY know what happened that night in Portugal." The facts are clear and not disputed, even by the McCanns. They were out on the lash with their friends. Their daughter, who had been left unattended in a holiday apartment in another country, went missing and has yet to be found.

Please don't feel the need to moderate the discussion for fear of offending me - I enjoy seeing folks make a back bottom of themselves.

This is, as ever, an issue that divides public opinion. Nobody on this forum, or in the wider general public ACTUALLY know what happened that night in Portugal. We can debate and raise conjecture all we want, but none of us know the truth, and possibly never will. Can we please just keep the discussion civil.

I don't know about you but I have not noticed any posts that were uncivil ? Och aye, HH got monitored but the rest of us were just toddling/chuntering along, as we often do without any interference from mods these days.

Perhaps the 'contributions' (a word almost as dear to the McCann family as 'donations') above could be added to the scams thread where they'd feel more at home.

I'm intrigued by the assertion that "Nobody on this forum, or in the wider general public ACTUALLY know what happened that night in Portugal." The facts are clear and not disputed, even by the McCanns. They were out on the lash with their friends. Their daughter, who had been left unattended in a holiday apartment in another country, went missing and has yet to be found.

Please don't feel the need to moderate the discussion for fear of offending me - I enjoy seeing folks make a back bottom of themselves.

It was wrong, in my opinion that the children were left unattended. A mistake. A wrong choice that the McCann's will regret forever I am sure. They like the rest of us are only human, we make mistakes, take chances. I am personally horrified looking back on holiday snaps from the 70's showing clearly my beloved wean sleeping in her buggy while with us at a disco night in our hotel in Tunisia. We were not alone, several weans were dotted about, some sleeping on couches or under tables. We were not on the 'lash' ( I presume that means getting very drunk). We were young parents trying to get the most fun out of our holiday.

Gee, thanks for clearing that one up, G12.

I am sure the people donating money also know the facts, as you put them and can still feel compassion for the McCanns. Maybe the fund would sit a bit easier with you if you thought it might help reunite the siblings, rather than concentrating on the "feckless" parents. I think we can agree that Maddie's sisters were totally without fault.

There's an awful lot of clutching at straws going on amongst McCann apologists here.

I don't think so, G12 bloke. People have different opinions and saying what they think. It's a sad, sad situation. I doubt that there are any parents who can say hand on heart that they have been totally vigilant in watching over their children at all times.

However, the McCanns have not only had to face criticism regarding their standards of responsibility with regard to childcare - they have also faced accusations regarding the disappearance of the child.

I can't for the life of me see how this appeals to some people's sense of humour. If that's what you call it. :rolleyes:

Not really, I just don't know how anyone can get so vexed about people giving freely to a cause of their chosing. Would you be happier if they were giving it to badgers?

((post edited)most eloquent, HH, but you're right - it is personal abuse)

Intended personal abuse, btw.

Let's not go down the road of personal insults or they will be deleted. How about leaving aside old grievances and drama?

I don't know about you but I have not noticed any posts that were uncivil ? Och aye, HH got monitored but the rest of us were just toddling/chuntering along, as we often do without any interference from mods these days.

Posts have been, and are still being edited, where people are throwing insults about.

As they might say on the Beeb, we had a wee break in toddling and chuntering for a minute there, Hingmie but normal service has been resumed. :lol:

The other interesting aspect to this, of course, is the timing of this story. One might think it was a cynical ploy of NI to boost the Sun's circulation, following the closure of their other trash paper... :rolleyes: