Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
Pat

Ban for retouched ads.

Good for Jo Swinson, MSP, East Dunbartonshire, for complaining about digitally altered images used for advertising.

Two L'Oreal ads featuring Julia Roberts and Christy Turlington have been pulled. They were never going to achieve what the adverts implied. Even these two beauties ain't that perfect.

The defence that the adverts were 'aspirational' had me in stitches.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/media/advertising/advertising-watchdog-bans-airbrushed-loreal-ads-2326668.html

Time for a wee bit of reality. When they start using models who are pensioners with freckles and carrying a bit of weight then I might be tempted to ditch my tinted moisturiser. :lol:

Lovely picture of Jo Swinson on her website: http://joswinson.org.uk/en/page/jo-swinson

Something to do with the fine line between promoting an image and making false claims that using their product achieve these results. But you are right, it doesn't seem that different to similar adverts. Maybe we are about to see a whole host of adverts pulled for similar claims - and that would be no bad thing.

Something to do with the fine line between promoting an image and making false claims that using their product achieve these results. But you are right, it doesn't seem that different to similar adverts. Maybe we are about to see a whole host of adverts pulled for similar claims - and that would be no bad thing.

It could go that way, harper. Or maybe propel the models into further use of botox, the laser and liposuction.

It's an unhealthy world. Folk scared to give up the fags in case they put on weight, lassies of 24, or thereabouts, having their foreheads injected.

One thing L'Oreal have right is that they recognise the aspirations of so many.

It could go that way, harper. Or maybe propel the models into further use of botox, the laser and liposuction.

It's an unhealthy world. Folk scared to give up the fags in case they put on weight, lassies of 24, or thereabouts, having their foreheads injected.

One thing L'Oreal have right is that they recognise the aspirations of so many.

Well informed, educated, lassies of 24. Are we now saying that these lassies are too stupid to realise that photos are touched up?

Well informed, educated, lassies of 24. Are we now saying that these lassies are too stupid to realise that photos are touched up?

I don't think they look at the photographs and think "I know these are touched up". They develop the aforesaid aspirations as though the most important thing in the world was being somebody's idea of a perfect woman. It's not healthy, sams. I still say good for Jo Swinson.

Although, it's even more worrying when, rather than retouching the older models, they just opt for using a twelve year old.

I don't think they look at the photographs and think "I know these are touched up". They develop the aforesaid aspirations as though the most important thing in the world was being somebody's idea of a perfect woman. It's not healthy, sams. I still say good for Jo Swinson.

Although, it's even more worrying when, rather than retouching the older models, they just opt for using a twelve year old.

What makes you think they look at these and say 'that's the perfect woman and looking like her is the most important thing in the world'; I think we are rushing to fit our own explanations into other people's thoughts and actions. You may as well ban every fashion mag, every celeb mag, every female artist that appears on MTV, because according to Jo Swinson young women cannot cope seeing these images!

What makes you think they look at these and say 'that's the perfect woman and looking like her is the most important thing in the world'; I think we are rushing to fit our own explanations into other people's thoughts and actions. You may as well ban every fashion mag, every celeb mag, every female artist that appears on MTV, because according to Jo Swinson young women cannot cope seeing these images!

I'm not a total expert on all that Jo Swinson has to say, samsc, but I do like the idea of flying the flag for a bit of reality.

What do you think young women these days aspire to - generally speaking? We've all been influenced by the celebs at one time or another but Dusty and Sandie Shaw kinda looked 'normal'.

I think it's about time for a new youth sub-culture. Maybe there will be a new punk era in response to increased unemployment.

I'm not a total expert on all that Jo Swinson has to say, samsc, but I do like the idea of flying the flag for a bit of reality.

What do you think young women these days aspire to - generally speaking? We've all been influenced by the celebs at one time or another but Dusty and Sandie Shaw kinda looked 'normal'.

I think it's about time for a new youth sub-culture. Maybe there will be a new punk era in response to increased unemployment.

Long overdue but difficult to achieve when so many mothers are such poor role models for their daughters. I know women with teenage daughters who starve themselves to be stick thin, tan too much, work too much, drink too much, smoke too much, and try a bit too hard down the pub giving it large with male colleagues. A lot of them haven't quite got to grips with the fact that they are no longer babes, however much they like to think they are and they are forever competing with their daughters instead of supporting them in healthy ways. I am the only female in a predomintely male household, so the whole barbie mum thing is a bit alien to me but I see it around me all the time. It's hard to see how young girls are supposed to grow up with a healthy self image when their primary role models are caught up in their own narcissism. Men are slowly getting caught up in this too. I was reading the other day about the rise of "protox" and the number of young male professionals who are getting botox to enhance their careers. There was one story about a young lawyer who has botox so he will looked relaxed and confdent in court. Personally, I'd want Rumpole anyday over some frozen faced brief. The whole thing is insidious. Thank god for the likes of Adele, Cathy Burke and Helen Mirren! :lol: