Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
Pat

R.I.P. Amy Winehouse

Poor lassie has joined the 27 club. The amount of venomous bile people are posting about her on facebook and twitter is just sickening, at the end of the day she was still somebody's daughter, a human being. A bit of intervention from her family or record company may have helped, maybe not, now we'll never know.

Poor lassie has joined the 27 club. The amount of venomous bile people are posting about her on facebook and twitter is just sickening, at the end of the day she was still somebody's daughter, a human being. A bit of intervention from her family or record company may have helped, maybe not, now we'll never know.

Ain't they the lucky ones. :rolleyes:

You're right, of course, lynnski, so many talented musicians have gone the same road through drugs and alcohol addiction or abuse. Some that spring to mind are Brian Jones, Jimi Hendrix, Lowell George, Nick Drake - the list is endless.

However, I don't think that they will have engendered the same disparaging attitude as Amy Winehouse. Indeed, I expect that some of those who are quickest to make the comments you speak of hold others, who have encountered similar problems in their lives, in the highest regard. Why is that?

I wouldn't blame anyone, especially not her family nor her friends. I think that in most cases they will have tried very hard to intervene. How do you address self-destruction?

Ain't they the lucky ones. :rolleyes:

You're right, of course, lynnski, so many talented musicians have gone the same road through drugs and alcohol addiction or abuse. Some that spring to mind are Brian Jones, Jimi Hendrix, Lowell George, Nick Drake - the list is endless.

However, I don't think that they will have engendered the same disparaging attitude as Amy Winehouse. Indeed, I expect that some of those who are quickest to make the comments you speak of hold others, who have encountered similar problems in their lives, in the highest regard. Why is that?

I wouldn't blame anyone, especially not her family nor her friends. I think that in most cases they will have tried very hard to intervene. How do you address self-destruction?

It will be very hard for her family and friends to cope with her death. They most likely have tried tremendously hard to coax her away from that path of self destruction. They may well feel guilt & failure cos they could not do so but she was an adult, ultimately she made her own choices.Of course we may be jumping the gun. Cause of death has not been announced, has it ?

It will be very hard for her family and friends to cope with her death. They most likely have tried tremendously hard to coax her away from that path of self destruction. They may well feel guilt & failure cos they could not do so but she was an adult, ultimately she made her own choices.Of course we may be jumping the gun. Cause of death has not been announced, has it ?

I think the cause of her death was always going to be fairly predictable, hingmie.

Brilliant article by Sean O'Hagan in The Observer:

He talks about the image of the 'elegantly wasted' Keith Richard and the hedonistic lifestyles that caused the deaths of many young musicians such as Cobain, Parsons, Lynott etc.

What separated Winehouse and Pete Doherty from the dissolute rock stars that preceded them, though, was the public nature of their excesses and of their respective struggles. Back in the early 1970s, when Keith Richards was, to quote Kent, "the world's most elegantly wasted man", avid readers of the music press could only have guessed at what exotic substances he had ingested alongside his daily bottle of Jack Daniel's.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011/jul/23/amy-winehouse-27-hendrix-cobain

I didn't know Amy Winehouse but I know people who were closely connected with her. Her struggle with addiction was well documented and her family and especially her father, worked hard to try and help her.

Today, the dealers and reporters who stalked her relentlessly should have her death on their conscience, as should the promoters and managers who let, perhaps even encouraged her, to perform when she was extremely fragile and so obviously wasted.

Ultimately, people need to take responsibility for their own recovery but in the distorted and toxic world of fame, drugs, flakes and sycophants that can be very hard to do and almost impossible to sustain.

No one could save Amy Winehouse. At the end of the day, she couldn't save herself. It is a sad and tragic waste of life.

I didn't know Amy Winehouse but I know people who were closely connected with her. Her struggle with addiction was well documented and her family and especially her father, worked hard to try and help her.

Today, the dealers and reporters who stalked her relentlessly should have her death on their conscience, as should the promoters and managers who let, perhaps even encouraged her, to perform when she was extremely fragile and so obviously wasted.

Ultimately, people need to take responsibility for their own recovery but in the distorted and toxic world of fame, drugs, flakes and sycophants that can be very hard to do and almost impossible to sustain.

No one could save Amy Winehouse. At the end of the day, she couldn't save herself. It is a sad and tragic waste of life.

When I heard the news on the radio I must admit I felt quite shaken - and very sad. I was a fan of her music. A hugely talented individual.

Jimbo

When I heard the news on the radio I must admit I felt quite shaken - and very sad. I was a fan of her music. A hugely talented individual.

Jimbo

Here music was not much to my taste but I am sad too. I would be sad about any unneccessary loss of life in someone so young.

It astonished me that so many feel that they can take a moral stand in such cases. They are lucky people, no better, just lucky that they are not dealing with drug or alcohol related problems in this city in this day and age.

I have been surprised by the extent of the reaction to this singer's passing. Most of the shops in Portobello Road were playing her music today and the area round her flat in Camden is fast becoming a shrine. Still, I am sure the flowers and the well wishers make a welcome change from the drug dealers and reporters that usually haunt that space. It will all be over by next week and the money vultures will have moved on to a new target.

I have been surprised by the extent of the reaction to this singer's passing. Most of the shops in Portobello Road were playing her music today and the area round her flat in Camden is fast becoming a shrine. Still, I am sure the flowers and the well wishers make a welcome change from the drug dealers and reporters that usually haunt that space. It will all be over by next week and the money vultures will have moved on to a new target.

I'm not a fan of all this emotional outpouring of grief for someone you don't know on a personal level. I guess it all started with Diana. Although I agree this sort of activity is more welcome than some.

You make a good point, rory. How anyone escapes the horrors of drug and alcohol abuse and addiction in our current climate escapes me. Maybe they just turn a blind eye or show their off spring the door if they run into trouble.

No-one wants an anti social neighbour but even the most troublesome addict deserves some sympathy and you would have to be very hard hearted not to feel sympathy for a family losing a 27 year old. Whether or not they happen to have had considerable talent.

One thing that makes me wonder is who let that lassie perform when she was so out of it?

so many young men have died in Iraq & Afghanistan with a tenth of the publicity given to a drug addled singer. I guess it's down to the 'Celeb' obsessed society we live in & yet we blame the NOTW for feding us our daily bread. Hey ho, that's the way it goes.

so many young men have died in Iraq & Afghanistan with a tenth of the publicity given to a drug addled singer. I guess it's down to the 'Celeb' obsessed society we live in & yet we blame the NOTW for feding us our daily bread. Hey ho, that's the way it goes.

I hope there is much concern for all the young men and some women who have died in these and other wars, HH. Also for the sorrowful children dying of hunger in East Africa.

There's been quite a lot of comment on the Net about people being more upset about Amy Winehouse than the recent atrocity in Oslo. I don't think that is the case. She has certainly sparked interest, as celebrities tend to, but does that indicate the scale of concern?

I don't know if any good will come out of the publicity relating to the death of the young singer any more so than the highlighting the ever growing number of casualties in Iraq and Afghanistan effects a move to bring the soldiers home. Or if the major concerns about the billions needed to address the crisis facing Somalia and other African Nations will trigger a response.

Amy's death will be a flash in the pan news piece, in a few days the papers will have moved on. I think the tragedy here is that she was so young, and everyone, even complete strangers to her like myself, could see this coming a mile off. Just because she was a drug addled celebrity doesn't mean we shouldn't feel a bit of sympathy for her, or at least her family. The fact that there are soldiers dying does not escape the newspapers or broadcast media, it is an ongoing situation, as is the incident in Norway. I would say everyone is well aware of both. I don't think the death of any one person should be treated with disdain just because of either their celebrity status or their lifestyle. People like Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Oliver Reed, John Belushi, etc, are regarded now as genius, as eccentric, troubled people, held in high regard by many, yet they drank or took drugs to excess. Mama Cass choked on a sandwich, Jimi Hendrix choked on his own vomit. They are both human beings who deserve a bit of dignity.

It has been too long since I popped in and said a wee hello....

I don't think anyone in here, right at this time, has any misconceptions about the way the media picks up on what they know sells. It's all heart wrenching news, especialy to those feeling the pain of a loved one passing away far too young, for whatever reason.

Empathy is a brilliant word and briliant to feel. It's alive with humanity and all the glory of feeling- it is only partially understanding or feeling anothers pain and being aware that you know nothing of their true pain. If you do know their pain, I am so sorry for your loss.

Soldiers dying, drug issues, deranged gunmen, the heathache of every person that loses a child....I wish it wasn't so.

But this is an Amy Winehouse thread....I wish she was still alive to try again. Such sadness for her family and close friends to know that they needed more time and another chance to help her try one more time to get out of the grip of drugs and alcohol.

Lovely to see you posting, Snow White and what a show stopper of a post.

The world would be a better place if everyone was just a bit more mindful and kinder in their thoughts and actions.

Celebrity status aside, I can't imagine the pain of losing a child to drug or alcohol addiction and hope to God I never will.

Hello back, Snow White. Nice to see you spreading those pearls of wisdom. :)

"Empathy" is indeed a "brilliant word".

I never saw beyond the talent and the mayhem of this young woman's life but this week, knowing that her family is sitting Shiva for their daughter, restores the image of Amy Winehouse in my mind as a young woman who was loved and much more than her drug and alcohol problems.. Friends in Camden say it a sadder and emptier place without her.

A bit late getting this up, I took it well over a week ago but have only just got round to uploading it, the front cover of last week's National Enquirer. Shocking stuff. Are they owned by Murdoch?

6031991205_4fe00cffa1.jpg

Sick by saltiresounds, on Flickr

A bit late getting this up, I took it well over a week ago but have only just got round to uploading it, the front cover of last week's National Enquirer. Shocking stuff. Are they owned by Murdoch?

That's really depressing, lynnski. Still whatever it takes to sell a paper. :rolleyes: