Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
Pat

Hotels in Scotland

See a feature in The Herald today about how busy Scottish Hotels were during May. In general Scottish Hotels 'were fuller and made more money than anywhere else int he UK'. Glasgow didn't seem to be doing very well but hotels in Edinburgh had the highest occupancy in the UK after Heathrow.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-news/hotel-sector-in-scotland-has-uk-s-top-yield-1.1112454

Maybe a bit more work has to be done in encouraging tourists to visit Glasgow. We were in Edinburgh a week or so ago and it was chock a block with tourists. And that's before the festival starts.

It doesn't surprise me that Edinburgh is doing so well, it really is a year round destination. The Scotsman is my favourite hotel and the big hotels do great deals out of season. Every American tourist I talk to in London is either on their way or have just got back from Edinburgh. Sad really because I think Glasgow, as a city is much edgier and has a lot more going for it. I always give it a plug. :D

If visitors want shortbread and tartan then Edinburgh is exactly where they should go. If they want shopping and excitement then its Glasgow. If they want that New York just mugged feeling they should visit Bellshill :D

I was in Buchanan Street yesterday around noon and it was almost over-powering to the senses. The buskers were all touting and competing, the preachers preaching and some of the shops (Lush especially) out coaxing people in with bubbles, etc. Really exciting and seemed almost 'Italian market' with the noise and bustle.

If visitors want shortbread and tartan then Edinburgh is exactly where they should go. If they want shopping and excitement then its Glasgow. If they want that New York just mugged feeling they should visit Bellshill :D

I was in Buchanan Street yesterday around noon and it was almost over-powering to the senses. The buskers were all touting and competing, the preachers preaching and some of the shops (Lush especially) out coaxing people in with bubbles, etc. Really exciting and seemed almost 'Italian market' with the noise and bustle.

You'll be smelling lovely now, samsc. ;)

Glasgow does pretty well for a shopping destination trip and also makes a buck as a Conference City but I think we could attract many more tourists. I love a visit to Edinburgh myself and it's a great place but Glasgow has a lot to offer and I think better placed than Edinburgh for outings to the likes of Loch Lomond, The Trossachs and a run up the West Coast.

By dint of the fact that it is a far larger city it also has more restaurants, more theatres, more parks and, of course, the shopping.

Celtic Connections does well in attracting many people from outwith Glasgow to the city but there will probably be a lot more tourists at the Edinburgh Book Festival than 'Aye Write', which I think is a fantastic festival.

A bit more horn blowing wouldn't go far wrong. Or what about the two cities working together - was there not some talk of that a while back?

You'll be smelling lovely now, samsc. ;)

Or what about the two cities working together - was there not some talk of that a while back?

A certain lady who is part of the 'public sector CEO clique' that haunts Glasgow and Edinbugh got that very nice gig with a very well paid 18 month contract attending lunches, dinners and Cannes in France. At the end of her contract the sum total of hee haw was produced.

A certain lady who is part of the 'public sector CEO clique' that haunts Glasgow and Edinbugh got that very nice gig with a very well paid 18 month contract attending lunches, dinners and Cannes in France. At the end of her contract the sum total of hee haw was produced.

Certainly haven't noticed much activity or any particular strategy. Maybe the Film Festival was on in Cannes - that could be diverting. :)

Perhaps if we get the new BBC (Botanics Hotel) in Queen Margaret Drive that will more entice visitors.

I know quite a few people who love a wee jaunt through to Edinburgh and have their favourite hotels there but don't know if there is a reciprocal pattern with Edinburgh folk visiting Glasgow?

A number of years back we stayed in a fantastic hotel in the capital: The Howard

Nae idea why Glasgow is no gettin mair visitors. Mind I widnae criticize Edinburgh, a grand place for the wanderer. I almost always talk about Glasgow when I meet folk who are going tae any part of Scotland but folk that have never been tae Glasgow (or just passing through) are no that interested. Oan the ithur haun, I have met a number of people who say things like,"ay, yur right, i had never really thought of Glasgow as a place tae visit until I spent a few nights there....God, I loved the place"....like a woman frae Perth said tae me, "thing aboot Glasgow is that yur never lonely, I jist love the place".

But i wull gie yees a fair warning....taks an awfy long time tae walk frae the chip tae the Mitchell library because if ye even jist gie a wee nod hello, someone wull talk tae ye for ages.

tam

and it's no me that does aw the talkin.

I love Glasgow but you cannae beat Edinburgh for the Edinburgh Festival Fringe. I used to bring my son up when he was younger and we loved it.

The rugby aint too shabby either - and I'm guessing that hunking big castle just by the shops in Princess Street is a bit of a draw. :P

I think a twin centre holiday package would work well for the two cities. Glasgow may not be the obvious choice for overseas visitiors "doing Scotland or Scatland, as they tend to call it but it is by far the most interesting of the two cities...

I love Glasgow but you cannae beat Edinburgh for the Edinburgh Festival Fringe. I used to bring my son up when he was younger and we loved it.

The rugby aint too shabby either - and I'm guessing that hunking big castle just by the shops in Princess Street is a bit of a draw. :P

I think a twin centre holiday package would work well for the two cities. Glasgow may not be the obvious choice for overseas visitiors "doing Scotland or Scatland, as they tend to call it but it is by far the most interesting of the two cities...

:lol: It's got to be one of the best main streets in the world, harper.

I was having a blether with one of my friends about this topic today and he made me laugh when contrasting the cities. It was his view that Edinburgh was prim and proper on the surface but has a very bawdy underside, whilst Glasgow has a rougher, tougher image but an underlying presbyterian prissiness.

:lol: It's got to be one of the best main streets in the world, harper.

I was having a blether with one of my friends about this topic today and he made me laugh when contrasting the cities. It was his view that Edinburgh was prim and proper on the surface but has a very bawdy underside, whilst Glasgow has a rougher, tougher image but an underlying presbyterian prissiness.

:lol: The City Council have frowned on over enthusiastic lap dancers. I've always associated Edinburgh with bawdiness and Glasgow with banter. Maybe that would be a good sound bite for advertising their dual pleasures?

:lol: The City Council have frowned on over enthusiastic lap dancers. I've always associated Edinburgh with bawdiness and Glasgow with banter. Maybe that would be a good sound bite for advertising their dual pleasures?

:lol: I guess that depends on your target audience, Canny Lass. Edinburgh will be gearing itself up for the Festival invasion. I enjoy a day trip through when it's on but to be stuck there for a week would be hard going.