20 replies to this topic

#1 lynnski

lynnski

Joined the family

• Administrators
  • 5,169 posts
  • Interests:www.squintyjewellery.co.uk

Posted 26 June 2011 - 08:36 PM

Sleep in a hammock, apparently! Maybe I should try this, I don't sleep well at all, haven't done for most of my adult life. :(

http://lifehacker.co...ep-in-a-hammock

"Patience is like bread I say, I ran out of that yesterday" © Lemonheads

#2 TheHappyTraveller

TheHappyTraveller

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 12:17 AM

Sleep in a hammock, apparently! Maybe I should try this, I don't sleep well at all, haven't done for most of my adult life. :(

http://lifehacker.co...ep-in-a-hammock

I've had the same issues before, until I discovered the magic of developing a bedtime routine: I don't study nor get into any stimulating discussions or activities a half hour or hour before bed. I do something that's relaxing -- read "light" material, listen to music that is quiet, catch a mindless TV show. I sleep better in a clean and neat environment, so I straighten and clean my room just before going to bed. Hope you find your own sleep-promoting routine; hope this helps. :D

#3 lynnski

lynnski

Joined the family

• Administrators
  • 5,169 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 11:34 AM

Cheers, Happy Traveller! :) I do have a routine of sorts, I come in from work, eat my dinner, and slouch on the couch in front of the tele! I've been working a lot of 8pm finishes over the past few months, which doesn't help. Eating your dinner around 9pm is probably not good for a proper sleep!

#4 harper

harper

Joined the family

• Administrators
  • 5,819 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 01:16 PM

I don't usually have problems sleeping and on the odd occasion I do, it is usally because I am worried about something. I find listening to music, turned down fairly low, stops my mind from racing. My choice is usually Miles Davis. No lyrics, just some smooth, mellow tunes and it's Zzzzzzzz in no time.

Glasgow Zen: On the oneness of self and the universe: It's aw wan tae me!

#5 Pat

Pat

Sitting on my favourite seat

• Root Admin
  • 19,399 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 09:59 PM

I don't usually have problems sleeping and on the odd occasion I do, it is usally because I am worried about something. I find listening to music, turned down fairly low, stops my mind from racing. My choice is usually Miles Davis. No lyrics, just some smooth, mellow tunes and it's Zzzzzzzz in no time.

That sounds very pleasant, harper.

I doze off no bother in the chair to rubbish on the television. Nothing too absorbing or exciting. You are lucky to have no problems sleeping. I can't remember the last time I slept a whole night through. I waken several times through the night but no point in fretting and I get through some amount of books.
This is me since yistirday.

#6 TheHappyTraveller

TheHappyTraveller

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 04:55 AM

Cheers, Happy Traveller! :) I do have a routine of sorts, I come in from work, eat my dinner, and slouch on the couch in front of the tele! I've been working a lot of 8pm finishes over the past few months, which doesn't help. Eating your dinner around 9pm is probably not good for a proper sleep!

Oh yeah, I agree with you Lynnski! Sometimes you tend to forget eating dinner at the right time -- we are just too busy aren't we? But eating around 6pm is a good idea; helps your body burn carbs before you finally hit the sack! :D

#7 Pat

Pat

• Root Admin
  • 19,399 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 10:38 AM

Oh yeah, I agree with you Lynnski! Sometimes you tend to forget eating dinner at the right time -- we are just too busy aren't we? But eating around 6pm is a good idea; helps your body burn carbs before you finally hit the sack! :D

My last meal at 6 p.m. would be no good to me. I sometimes don't hit the sack until after mid-night so after six hours my blood sugar would have considerably plummeted. Not a good idea.

I heard recently that it's a myth that eating cheese at night gives you nightmares.

#8 harper

harper

Joined the family

• Administrators
  • 5,819 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 01:00 PM

I've heard that eating any kind of protein aids sleep and that includes cheese. Not that I'll be giving up my late night bowl of cornflakes any time soon - can't stand them in the morning, mind you. :lol:

#9 Canny Lass

Canny Lass

Staying for dinner

• Members
  • 604 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 01:39 PM

I've heard that eating any kind of protein aids sleep and that includes cheese. Not that I'll be giving up my late night bowl of cornflakes any time soon - can't stand them in the morning, mind you. :lol:

Tonight I'll be trying brie and coco pops. :lol:

#10 Pat

Pat

• Root Admin
  • 19,399 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 10:57 PM

Tonight I'll be trying brie and coco pops. :lol:

Is that in case you've no time for breakfast, CL? :)

Harper, I think you're right about the cheese. They were talking about this on QI and Stephen Fry (who knows everything) says that cheese gives you good dreams. Well, according to the British Cheese Board, or some such organisation. :lol:

#11 lynnski

lynnski

Joined the family

• Administrators
  • 5,169 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 01:44 PM

I read somewhere (can't remember where) that it was the Victorians who first blamed cheese for nightmares, but now it's thought to be more likely to be the port they were having with the cheese! :lol:

#12 Pat

Pat

• Root Admin
  • 19,399 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 12:11 PM

I read somewhere (can't remember where) that it was the Victorians who first blamed cheese for nightmares, but now it's thought to be more likely to be the port they were having with the cheese! :lol:

I was having a lovely sleep last night; conked out after a day with a lot more exercise than usual. However, I wakened up in the middle of the night with the wind blowing a gale and the curtains streaming half way across the room.

I had to get up and shut the windows then get a drink of water, go to the loo and then read my book for half an hour.

The fierce weather is not conducive to deep slumber.

#13 lynnski

lynnski

Joined the family

• Administrators
  • 5,169 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 03:23 PM

I'm back to not sleeping well. It's been suggested that I try and have the hour before bed as an LED free zone, i.e., no tv, laptop, iphone etc etc. This is proving kind of difficult though, with the amount of reading I need to do for Uni. A lot of it is from sociological journals or policy documents which I access electronically through the Uni library website. I guess I'll just have to get my electronic reading done earlier in the evening and read an actual paper book before bed :lol:

#14 Pat

Pat

• Root Admin
  • 19,399 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 09:07 PM

I'm back to not sleeping well. It's been suggested that I try and have the hour before bed as an LED free zone, i.e., no tv, laptop, iphone etc etc. This is proving kind of difficult though, with the amount of reading I need to do for Uni. A lot of it is from sociological journals or policy documents which I access electronically through the Uni library website. I guess I'll just have to get my electronic reading done earlier in the evening and read an actual paper book before bed :lol:

I think relaxing before hitting the sack definitely helps, lynnski. Also sticking to a routine, which I'm not too good at doing.

Exercise also helps. I walked home most of the way from Uni tonight as it was a lovely night. It's definitely easier walking when you're not sliding all over the place and more enjoyable when it's not raining.

It's the writing more than the reading that knocks me off kilter sleepwise.

#15 harper

harper

Joined the family

• Administrators
  • 5,819 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 09:29 PM

Wee bit of Miles Davis - loud enough to hear but not loud enough to distract you - and an hrt patch. :lol:

#16 Pat

Pat

• Root Admin
  • 19,399 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 12:30 PM

Wee bit of Miles Davis - loud enough to hear but not loud enough to distract you - and an hrt patch. :lol:

I think my hrt patches will all be duds by now, harper, but I recollect them attaching themselves to nighties, sheets and just about anything other than me.

I could have done with something last night - hardly closed my eyes.

#17 lynnski

lynnski

Joined the family

• Administrators
  • 5,169 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 05:11 PM

We quite often use music to help us drift off, instrumental bands such as Mogwai, Explosions in the Sky, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, that kinda thing. Also a project featuring a member of Depeche Mode and one of Erasure, remember them? It's called Spectrum Pursuit Vehicle, and is very ambient, chill out stuff :) I don't think I need the HRT just yet! :lol:

#18 Canny Lass

Canny Lass

Staying for dinner

• Members
  • 604 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:39 PM

We quite often use music to help us drift off, instrumental bands such as Mogwai, Explosions in the Sky, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, that kinda thing. Also a project featuring a member of Depeche Mode and one of Erasure, remember them? It's called Spectrum Pursuit Vehicle, and is very ambient, chill out stuff :) I don't think I need the HRT just yet! :lol:

Don't know anything about any of the above, Lynnski. Getting a good night's sleep is about one thing and that's sticking to a routine.

You should go to bed round about the same time every night for starters.

I can't stay here a second longer the man on the next computer is coughing his insides up. Sook a sweetie mister.

#19 Pat

Pat

• Root Admin
  • 19,399 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 01:29 PM

Don't know anything about any of the above, Lynnski. Getting a good night's sleep is about one thing and that's sticking to a routine.

You should go to bed round about the same time every night for starters.

I can't stay here a second longer the man on the next computer is coughing his insides up. Sook a sweetie mister.

:lol: Your library troubles give us a laugh, CL.

Your advice about sticking to a routine makes sense but it's not that realistic. We all some party nights and holidays.

#20 lynnski

lynnski

Joined the family

• Administrators
  • 5,169 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 02:41 PM

Maybe we're doing it all wrong...

http://www.bbc.co.uk...gazine-16964783

0 user(s) are reading this topic