Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End

Had a smashing afternoon in the Botanic Gardens yesterday with Ms Sam. By about 5pm the park was of course beginning to clear and the large grass lawn was down to about three groups of people on it. One Group contained two wee boys aged 8 & 9 (ish) kicking a plastic ball to each other. A second group contained a young couple lying in each others arms having the ocassional snog and the third group contained Ms Sam, another wee girl (both aged 9) and her pet dog with whom the girls were having a ball, wrestling sticks and playing fetch.

About 5:45 enter from stage left, grumpy park keeper. His first attack was the two wee boys 'can you not read, no football', his second attack was Ms Sam and friend 'get that dug on a lead' and he even headed over to the snogging couple to have a look at what they were doing before deciding they were not infringing any by-laws. Okay, okay technically doing his job, discretion towards the time of day, park conditions and the law breakers might have been nice.

Enter stage right, however, two gentlemen of the drunken persuasion, one of the drunken skinny runt proportions and one of the John Bull, bulldog proportions (sans bulldog). I had become aware of them when a young girl and boy (16/17 years old) had ran past shouting 'f*** off ya paedos' back at these two (they appeared to have sat beside the young couple). Anyway, John Bull type decides its time to leave and he staggers for the gates; drunken runt, however, decides he has a few people more to annoy. He clearly upsets another young couple sitting on benches before heading for the grass lawn. The young boys with ball get his attention and he starts kicking the ball about (doesn't he know there are no ball games!!!! :o ), he also stands on the back of a bench, only for it to topple over on to him :D . I moved down from my bench seat to join Ms Sam on the lawn and looked round expecting Super Parkie to intervene. Surprise, surprise, Super Parkie was actually up at the large cafe/van peeking round it at drunken runt but clearly having decided said drunk was older than 8 or 9 years that he shouldn't intervene....my hero. Thankfully, the intervention of gravity and the clatter of drunk's head on path when the bench toppled over cut short his antics and he headed, shouting at the top of his voice, for the gates.

The moral of my story is if you are aged 8 or 9 and want to kick a ball in the botanic gardens make sure you are steamin', that way the Parkie will keep away from you.

I love the image of the coortin' couple... The Botanic Gardens is made for romance... smile.gif

Tell me, do Parkies still have whistles? As weans we were frequently chased off the grass by irrate, whistle blowin', auld men in tackity boots. huffin' and puffin' trying to catch us and probably doing more damage to the grass than we were in sannies.

You should have exercised your civic duty by insisting he come over and attend to the matter....laugh.gif

I was in the Botanics the previous evening with my dog (on the lead as per Botanic Gardens rules Sam - across the river they can run free :o ) and it was still reasonably busy about 7.00pm. I saw a parkie (don't know whether it was the same one) approach two yobs, in their 20s/30s on the front lawn that were consuming alcohol and speaking to them. Said yobs were not very happy and saw them waving their glass bottles in the air, but a few minutes later they did get up and pull on their tops (thankfully) which covered their peely-wally skinny bodies and moved off.

Parkies are NOT police officers and nobody should expect them to tackle aggressive drunks. Your interpretation of his behaviour as "peeking round the van" could no doubt also be interpreted as "keeping an eye on what was happening and wondering whether to phone the police".

As regards the parkie exercising "discretion towards the time of day etc", unfortunately too many of the people who break the rules are unable/unwilling to exercise that kind of discretion.

No Harper, parkies do not have whistles these days - we;re living in different times and it's mobile phones with the number of the local police office programmed in that are now standard issue.

I was in the Botanics the previous evening with my dog (on the lead as per Botanic Gardens rules Sam - across the river they can run free :o ) and it was still reasonably busy about 7.00pm. I saw a parkie (don't know whether it was the same one) approach two yobs, in their 20s/30s on the front lawn that were consuming alcohol and speaking to them. Said yobs were not very happy and saw them waving their glass bottles in the air, but a few minutes later they did get up and pull on their tops (thankfully) which covered their peely-wally skinny bodies and moved off.

Parkies are NOT police officers and nobody should expect them to tackle aggressive drunks. Your interpretation of his behaviour as "peeking round the van" could no doubt also be interpreted as "keeping an eye on what was happening and wondering whether to phone the police".

As regards the parkie exercising "discretion towards the time of day etc", unfortunately too many of the people who break the rules are unable/unwilling to exercise that kind of discretion.

No Harper, parkies do not have whistles these days - we;re living in different times and it's mobile phones with the number of the local police office programmed in that are now standard issue.

The Parkie seemed to enjoy his job when it was weans he was snarling at. I am not looking for a Ramboesque attack on drunks, but would expect someone who minutes before had shown himself to be gatekeeper of the rule book, to at least speak with said drunken runt. I can assure it he was not Ninja style staying covert behind the cafe van.

The Parkie seemed to enjoy his job when it was weans he was snarling at.

I think the use of that kind of language says far more about your attitude than about the parkie in question Sam :o You seem to have a bit of a chip on your shoulder that causes you to bristle at the very idea of anyone in "authority" asking anyone to abide by the park rules that exist for the benefit of ALL users. The Botanics is first and foremost a Botanical Institution - try going to the equivalent institution in Edinburgh where dogs are barred completely from even entering the premises, as are cyclists, and see what happens when "weans" kick a football.

As a long-time regular user of the Botanics I have never, ever, ever seen any parkie "snarling" at anyone. So, based on my own experience and your obvious attitude problem I think I'll take your interpretation of events with a pinch of salt :D

Guest thomas

As a child and a bye law abiding one - I can clearly remember two 'Parkies' who were rather 'snarling' at children regardless of what they were doing. I too have frequented Botanic Gardens for over 40+ years and I my take on Sams post was one of 'treat each with equality or at least equity.'

As I wasn't there to witness the account posted on here, I can from experience recall times when such attitudes were indeed the norm to children, even carrying a ball into the park could be cause for an approach.

I hate the 'rule applied to one but not to the scary ones.' It happens in our schools, it happens in other places and even happens with the Police - they will not approach unless they know 'backup' is on its way.

And sadly to confirm Sam's interpretation of events, my wife, my family and myself have all witnessed times when the Parkie's ignore certain types 'watching maybe a description' but I can clearly recall, 'they'll go on their way soon.' I guess the wee boy with the ball might not see that as being a fair stance...

The Parks in Glasgow are there for ALL to enjoy, minor incidents can be dealt with in a way that doesn't alienate the other users but whatever approach is taken, it should be consistent, surely?

Two large, new boards displaying local rules/bylaws - whatever - were recently installed in our local park, here in South Lanarkshire. One of them lasted two days before being torn off its mountings. Wouldn't be the least surprised if it's now hanging on some ned's bedroom wall.

Some of the rules seem excessive - nae playing musical instruments and nae singing, for example. Also, nae playing on the ice when the pond freezes in winter. As our pond has a water depth of about 6 inches in winter, one wonders what the point of that one is.

One of the problems with the older miscreants is that if they're checked, they might well be back later to vandalise the place. One of the local grounds maintenance staff yelled at some Buckie drinkers to keep their feet off the benches and sit on them properly. They were sitting on top of the back rests with their feet on the bench. He didn't bother challenging them about the fact they were drinking.

Upshot was, he had 4 smashed Buckie bottles to clear up the next day. That was the neds' retaliation for being checked. That's the mentality, these days. About ten years ago, a park worker caught a youngster nicking a litter picking stick from a van. He gave him an old fashioned clip round the ear and ended up on an assault charge in Hamilton Sherriff Court. The teenager was not charged with theft.

I think the use of that kind of language says far more about your attitude than about the parkie in question Sam :o You seem to have a bit of a chip on your shoulder that causes you to bristle at the very idea of anyone in "authority" asking anyone to abide by the park rules that exist for the benefit of ALL users. The Botanics is first and foremost a Botanical Institution - try going to the equivalent institution in Edinburgh where dogs are barred completely from even entering the premises, as are cyclists, and see what happens when "weans" kick a football.

As a long-time regular user of the Botanics I have never, ever, ever seen any parkie "snarling" at anyone. So, based on my own experience and your obvious attitude problem I think I'll take your interpretation of events with a pinch of salt :D

My language?? coming from the woman who decided the peely wallies must be yobs cos they were drinking outside. Same as everyone drinking in Kelvingrove were urinating thugs, see the pattern.

You weren't there, the parkie snarled, deal with it.

My language?? coming from the woman who decided the peely wallies must be yobs cos they were drinking outside. Same as everyone drinking in Kelvingrove were urinating thugs, see the pattern.

No wonder so many people just "lurk" on this forum, while many others have left, Personally I'm sick of your utterly ridiculous interpretations of what you consider my views to be. No wonder I have difficulty in believing anything that you post, whether it's your version of events in the Botanics or anything else. I've experienced how you twist my own words so why I should I regard anything you write as being truthful?

Pat - could you please delete my membership. I'd thought all the "nasties" had left, which is why I returned after a long absence , but seems I was wrong. :o

No wonder so many people just "lurk" on this forum, while many others have left, Personally I'm sick of your utterly ridiculous interpretations of what you consider my views to be. No wonder I have difficulty in believing anything that you post, whether it's your version of events in the Botanics or anything else. I've experienced how you twist my own words so why I should I regard anything you write as being truthful?

Pat - could you please delete my membership. I'd thought all the "nasties" had left, which is why I returned after a long absence , but seems I was wrong. :o

Oh dear, Ms Dish it out but cannae take has a wee hissy

Here's a couple of rolls eyes :D:rolleyes: and a wee laugh :lol:

There's a wee 'ignore function' I'll put you on mine.

Ok, I've got ma parkie whistle at the ready.....

Can we agree to disgaree and can the first party try and address the second party's views withoot offending the firsty party so that the second party can stay and play wae aw the other parties?

As you were ...

Guest thomas

Like Borderlass, I too refrained from posting on the Boards for quite some time due to the difficulties. I would hate to see people go again, this board is now awfully quiet in comparison to what it was.

Could this wee hiccup not be overlooked and all parties agree a level of respect? I've been with this board almost since the beginning, but not posted that much on it, didn't feel the need to but it became a battlefield - let's not go down that road again.

Please folks!

Ok, I've got ma parkie whistle at the ready.....

Can we agree to disgaree and can the first party try and address the second party's views withoot offending the firsty party so that the second party can stay and play wae aw the other parties?

As you were ...

Am baffled, how many parties are going on?