Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
harper

Panorama

I don't know if anyone caught Panorama this week exposing abuse in a private care home. The footage was so shocking I turned it off after 20 minutes. Thankfully arrests have been made and already safeguarding discussions are taking place formally and informally in many local authority departments. I liked this article in today's Independent. Mary Dejevsky hits the nail right on the head, IMV.

http://www.independe...ck-2292306.html

I don't know if anyone caught Panorama this week exposing abuse in a private care home. The footage was so shocking I turned it off after 20 minutes. Thankfully arrests have been made and already safeguarding discussions are taking place formally and informally in many local authority departments. I liked this article in today's Independent. Mary Dejevsky hits the nail right on the head, IMV.

http://www.independe...ck-2292306.html

I didn't catch it but heard folk talking about so got it on Iplayer. Had to turn it off pretty quick though. A disgrace but even more so that the very brave nurse who put his registration on the line by disclosing what went on is now concerned he will lose his registration. It is considered that he breached confidentiality by secretly recording what went on. I hope the NMC show some sense. If they do, it may encourage others to stand up and tell where wrong doing is going on.

I didn't catch it but heard folk talking about so got it on Iplayer. Had to turn it off pretty quick though. A disgrace but even more so that the very brave nurse who put his registration on the line by disclosing what went on is now concerned he will lose his registration. It is considered that he breached confidentiality by secretly recording what went on. I hope the NMC show some sense. If they do, it may encourage others to stand up and tell where wrong doing is going on.

If any registrations are to be withdrawn, it should be the two nursing staff who observed what was going on and did nothing; not the whistle-blower. And, the RCN or NMC should have clearly defined rules for whistle-blowing including publicly stated safeguards.

My wife has now worked in this sector for about 15 years, she is well qualified and undergoes very regular training. Luckily, where she currently works is a multi-disciplinary environment combining NHS and Social Work staff, generally, the level of professionalism is as should be expected. She has, however, a catalogue of stories of people who work in this sector who are clearly unsuitable for the job. This happens in Glasgow, this happens in West Dunbartonshire (her two areas), and this happens in both publicly and privately run operations. People she has come across in the 'caring arena' who probably should be clients rather than carers.

Hopefully this programme will make local authorities sit up and take account of their care commissioning practices. All too often contract tenders are decided on price alone and the market has been flooded by organisations all too willing to deliver services to vulnerable people based on cheap labour.

It is concerning that this young nurse faces problems with his registration. It is not the first time this has happened. There was a well documented case a couple of years back of a women of was suspended for exposing neglect on HNS geriatric wards. I can't remember if she ever got it back.

Personlly, I don't know how this your man managed to observe the abuse over several weeks without intervening. I'm guessing he wanted to make sure he had enough evidence to take to the police.

I couldn't help but feel annoyed with the parents who refused to believe her daughter when she said she was being abused. The bruises on her upper arms were clearly visable, the general demeanour of the staff left a lot to be desired and their didn't seem to be any therapeutic input at all.

If we allowed those who suffered at his hands ten minutes each with a paddle to smack on Mr Tattoo's bare backside just imagine how therapeutic that would be

I watched the programme and it was absolutely horrendous to see the people who were supposed to be supporting and caring for the adults treating them in such an appalling way. The bullying andmistreatment that was handed out by some of the staff was criminal - literally - and hopefully they will be held accountable and punished appropriately.

It's just as shocking that it was allowed to happen and there are not enough checks and processes in place to make sure such treatment doesn't happen. Where were the managers? Where was the Care Quality Commission?

Even more depressing is that it's very likely what was exposed is not unique. Surely there must be standards in place to ensure that vulnerable adults who require that level of care are in a therepeutic environment - an environment where there are activities and purpose. From what I saw in the programme there was very little stimulation for the people living there.

Hopefully, the programme will have an effect and force positive change.

The Care Quality Commission is a Quango. here's the Daily Mail view courtesy of Quentin Letts

The latest, this week, was the Care Quality Commission. May God bless all who sail in her.

Actually, I'm not sure I mean that. This commission, which will meddle with hospitals, has already established itself a classic of the Left-leaning genre. It made a Stalinist announcement that it 'commends NHS progress on infection control'.

This new public body is run by Cynthia Bower: social worker, feminist and atheist. She uses the capitalist title 'chief executive'.

These so-called egalitarians do love to pretend they are blue-chip company supremos.

Her chairman is Baroness Young of Old Scone, although she is steaming under a flag of convenience as ' Barbara Young', being one of those New Establishment types who spurn the titles which give them their clout.

Until recently 'Barbara' was a Labour peer, but she now finds it more convenient to be officially 'non-affiliated'.

Ms Bower gave a disastrous first interview yesterday to Radio 4. She has one of those piercing, demotic, northern English accents so de rigeur for modern quango queens (not to mention BBC sports reporters).

If the Tories ever win power, the likes of Bower and Young will give them a torrid time. The Care Quality Commission itself may need to be steam-cleaned, or preferably zapped altogether.

The Quality Care Commission are on a hiding to nothing. That's not to say they don't deserve it.

How about prosecuting the directors of the care facility? Here's their previous which includes the death of a patient.

Bristol 24-7 News