Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End

Germany following Scotland's lead?

"Germany's coalition government has announced a reversal of policy that will see all the country's nuclear power plants phased out by 2022.

The decision makes Germany the biggest industrial power to announce plans to give up nuclear energy."

This is fantastic news, samsc. I wish it was clear that they are following Scotland's example but if there is a policy in existence to close nuclear plants in Scotland then I've missed this.

"Germany's coalition government has announced a reversal of policy that will see all the country's nuclear power plants phased out by 2022.

The decision makes Germany the biggest industrial power to announce plans to give up nuclear energy."

This is fantastic news, samsc. I wish it was clear that they are following Scotland's example but if there is a policy in existence to close nuclear plants in Scotland then I've missed this.

The Scottish Government's energy policy is a non nuclear future and a reliance of renewable energy as the prime means of powering the country.

While it would be nice to think that Scotland had influenced this decision, if my memory serves me right, Germany and a few other countiries announced their intention to abandon nuclear energy after the radiation leaks in Japan.

Still, who cares, it is a sound decision and hopefully other heads of government will follow their example.

The Scottish Government's energy policy is a non nuclear future and a reliance of renewable energy as the prime means of powering the country.

I know they're doing well with developments regarding wave power and so on but have they got the say? Westminster seems to be calling the shots at Coulport.

I know they're doing well with developments regarding wave power and so on but have they got the say? Westminster seems to be calling the shots at Coulport.

Energy policy is a reserved matter (for now) but planning permission is devolved :blink:

The investment in new nuclear power stations will be private sector led and funded, The UK Government has approved up to 10 sites, however, the economics of nuclear energy might still see tax payers money subsidising nuclear energy otherwise they may not be built.

They were discussing it this morning on the radio and someone made the point that because Germany is in central Europe it's able to to import various kinds of energy from its neighbours, and they are already importing some nuclear - can't remember which country its coming from.

It's a laudable aim to get all of our energy from renewable sources, but various questions are being raised as to whether it will be possible within the kind of time frame that both Germany & Scotland are talking about e.g. there is still no way to store electricity despite all the research that has gone in to it for many, many years. Both solar and wind power are unreliable and solar especially at the times of peak demand during the winter.

Meanwhile more and more power-hungry gadgets are being developed and billions of people across the world are continuing to waste electricity on a daily basis as if there will be a limitless supply for ever and ever ......