Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
Pat

All change at Coulport

It appears that the nuclear base on the Clyde will now be in the hands of the private sector.

Defence ministers at Westminster have decided that more than 200 Trident nuclear warheads will be handled by a consortium of multinational private firms, it will be known as ABL and will be led by Lockhead Martin. The firm's responsibility for the handling of the recent census caused a stoochie and there's full scale objection to this development.

The decision has been condemned by the SNP, trades unionists and disarmament campaigners, who are demanding an urgent rethink. They describe it as a cost-saving, job-cutting “kick in the teeth to the workforce” that will put nuclear safety at risk.

The SNP have attacked the plan and consider it to be 'highly questionable'.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-news/anger-as-us-arms-dealer-takes-over-running-of-scottish-nuclear-bomb-base-1.1104095

This has been in the wind for a while and, whilst it's far from being a done deal, it's what I was alluding to a couple of weeks ago when I pointed out that Trident and Son of Trident are going to stay where they are for a long time.

Salmond will rage against the MOD (it's his raison d'etre after all) but this plan almost certainly came straight from the Pentagon.

Nothing warms the cockles of my heart more than knowing private profit and interest are now looking after enough nuclear warheads to relocate Scotland to the Pacific

Nothing warms the cockles of my heart more than knowing private profit and interest are now looking after enough nuclear warheads to relocate Scotland to the Pacific

Seems to be considered very risky business. The unions have condemned the move. The decision seems to have been rushed through in a very questionable manner.

"Trades unions were only given two hours’ notice..."

There are very clear fears regarding safety with Lockhead Martin now dominating "Britain’s so-called independent nuclear deterrent."

I don't think we've heard the last of this high-handed irresponsible fiasco.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-news/anger-as-us-arms-dealer-takes-over-running-of-scottish-nuclear-bomb-base-1.1104095

Our independent nuclear deterrent that we cannot use without the US's approval...........and we want to pay £13-£33 billion for the privilege :blink: