Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
harper

Sharon Shoesmith wins case....

Vilified and now vindicated, Shoesmith wins her appeal. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/baby-p/8541340/Baby-P-council-boss-Sharon-Shoesmith-wins-appeal-against-sacking.html Shoesmith would never have won support for her dreadful representation and defense of her department following the death of Baby Peter but it seems that the Education Secretary's reactive and illegal sacking of Shoesmith is going to cost her employers dearly.

I have the deepest sympathy for Baby Peter and the manner in which his short life ended.Regarding Ms Shoesmith,as Director of Social Services she has to carry the can but my view from outset was that she was sacrificed without due process of law.I do not know where the the Education Secretary,Ed Balls got the advice that he could remove her in such a manner but he has clearly got in wrong.In typical political fashion he states he would do the same again.

I think the next development will be Ms Shoesmith seeking redress for her removal.

She should not have had to be fired, she should have resigned. The buck stopped at her.

I think there is every possibility that she considered her position but the decision was taken out of her hands.

Incidentally it occurred to me that as Govt minister with overall responsibility was Ed Balls not is some way culpable?

I think Ed Balls sacked Sharon Shoesmith in the full knowledge that there would be a price to pay further down the line but one, it was a risk worth taking to save his political career and two, the heat would have cooled and his career would have moved on by the time this case was settled. Sacking Shoesmith so publicly did his career no harm. On the other hand, she well and truly buried herself with her public statements and should never have been allowed on camera. The only real tragedy in this is the child.

I think there is every possibility that she considered her position but the decision was taken out of her hands.

Incidentally it occurred to me that as Govt minister with overall responsibility was Ed Balls not is some way culpable?

It was an operational failure, not a failure of strategy or direction. I'm sure she considered her position, and then decided to stay in post, which was another poor decision.

Hearing Shoesmith being interviewed this morning, I can feel the heckles rising on the back of my neck again. If she was wronged in law then she is entitled to redress but a bit of contrition wouldn't go a miss... angry.gif

The court ruling is to be challenged by Government lawyers.

I agree with samsc, she should have retired. The police and health officials who had been involved in this case should also have accepted some responsibility.

The court ruling is to be challenged by Government lawyers.

I agree with samsc, she should have retired. The police and health officials who had been involved in this case should also have accepted some responsibility.

Absolutely Pat.

The little bit of Constitutional Law I studied suggests that Ministers have ultimate responsibilty for everything which happens in their department, no matter how trivial or unpredictable it was - the principle of Ministerial Responsibilty.

Ed Balls was the relevant Secretary of State and the time and the responsibity had to land on his shoulders but, by the same token, he can't bear the burden without the authority to put things right.

He may have gone about matters in the wrong way but ultimately he made the correct decision and the Supreme Court will see things that way too. In the unlikely event the Supreme Court feel they must uphold they High Court decision they may well feel damages in the sum of one penny would be appropriate.

Three days notice of their intention to hold a disciplinary hearing for Gross Misconduct would have saved them all this trouble over process. It isn't difficult... rolleyes.gif

It will be interesting to see what happens on Appeal. A technical win with nominal damages would certainly put her gas in a peep... and I agree with other posters, she should have resigned at the time.

Three days notice of their intention to hold a disciplinary hearing for Gross Misconduct would have saved them all this trouble over process. It isn't difficult... rolleyes.gif

It will be interesting to see what happens on Appeal. A technical win with nominal damages would certainly put her gas in a peep... and I agree with other posters, she should have resigned at the time.

She was never going to resign. Her performances outside the courts and on Today this morning make it clear she simply hasn't that sort of sense of responsibility.

She was never going to resign. Her performances outside the courts and on Today this morning make it clear she simply hasn't that sort of sense of responsibility.

Agree - and various articles are suggesting compensation at sums much higher than a notional amount of one penny :blink:

The whole ET thing seems to have dragged on for years.... how long before the Appeal, 'embody now?