Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End

West Dunbartonshire

Very sad that this once thriving area is bottom of the UK polls for unemployment.

"An area once considered one of Scotland’s industrial heartlands has been named the UK’s worst unemployment blackspot."

Certainly a problem for the Scottish Parliament to get its teeth into. What's the solution?

Quite a challenge and a tremendous opportunity to demonstrate how you might bring about economic growth in an area blighted by deprivation and neglect. I'd vote for Independence if our parliament could turn this situation around. Now the posturing and promises have succeeded in getting them back in power it's time to grab the bit and do the real work.

Very sad that this once thriving area is bottom of the UK polls for unemployment.

"An area once considered one of Scotland’s industrial heartlands has been named the UK’s worst unemployment blackspot."

Certainly a problem for the Scottish Parliament to get it's teeth into. What's the solution?

Get rid of Trident and close Faslane. Oh no, wait a minute ..............

Then what? Reinvest the money into creating jobs? It's very sad to think back on the vast number of skilled people employed at places like John Browns and Singers. A long, long time ago now. Red Clydeside has definitely come a cropper.

Alcohol dependency is a big issue according to this article and that's led to the Council clamping down on any new licences.

More than one in 20 of the area’s 90,000 residents are said to be alcohol-dependent – one of the highest figures in western Europe – and, according to the council, it has the second-highest number of licensed premises per head in Scotland.

Alcohol dependency is a big issue according to this article and that's led to the Council clamping down on any new licences.

Alcohol dependency is a big issue in many parts of Scotland, borderlass. It often goes hand in hand with long term unemployment and deprivation. I think the Council maybe need to do a bit more than deny LIDL an expansion of their premises.

The pubs used to be jam packed in the evenings in places like Duntocher and Old Kilpatrick. Now they are half empty as people don't have the money to go out. One of the pubs in Old Kilpatrick, The Telstar, which was always a popular place, has been closed now for ages.

There have been discussions about opening it as a Community Cafe/Arts/Performance Space.

There's always the temptation to drown your sorrows when times are hard and there's nothing to do but then we all know what the problems are - it's the solutions that are the difficulty.

While it's true that alcohol dependency is a problem across Scotland, there are certain areas where it's more of a problem. The availability of cheap booze in the supermarkets has done more to contribute to pubs closing than the smoking ban or lack of jobs or anything else imo.

As you say, it's the solutions to the problems that are the difficult part. Denying Lidl their extension might not solve anything, but neither can I see how granting it can be justified in the current circumstances in that area. Lidl already has an off-sales, there are plenty of others in the area , and people are out of work with little money to spare. So, exactly what is the point of this expansion and who is intended to benefit?

While it's true that alcohol dependency is a problem across Scotland, there are certain areas where it's more of a problem. The availability of cheap booze in the supermarkets has done more to contribute to pubs closing than the smoking ban or lack of jobs or anything else imo.

As you say, it's the solutions to the problems that are the difficult part. Denying Lidl their extension might not solve anything, but neither can I see how granting it can be justified in the current circumstances in that area. Lidl already has an off-sales, there are plenty of others in the area , and people are out of work with little money to spare. So, exactly what is the point of this expansion and who is intended to benefit?

I don't think the Council were wrong to deny this expansion, borderlass. You can buy booze in every wee corner shop these days and the only pubs making money are those that sell appetizing food as well as alcohol.

There are plenty of problems in West Dunbartonshire, poverty, lack of employment, health issues, crime, dependency issues - the whole caboodle.

There were always plenty of hard drinking men about, many of them went straight to the pub from work and their stay at home wives never saw an unbroken pay packet. However, the men on the Clyde took pride in their jobs and their skills. They were up and out at the crack of dawn for work.

I think that alcohol abuse and unemployment are two different issues.

Even if there was no abuse of alcohol these days - there would still be no jobs.

Then what? Reinvest the money into creating jobs? It's very sad to think back on the vast number of skilled people employed at places like John Browns and Singers. A long, long time ago now. Red Clydeside has definitely come a cropper.

That's rather the point I was making. If the problem is unemployment the answer can't possibly be to close the largest employer for miles - one which makes a massive contribution to the local economy - no matter how much you've banged on about doing so in election after election.

That's rather the point I was making. If the problem is unemployment the answer can't possibly be to close the largest employer for miles - one which makes a massive contribution to the local economy - no matter how much you've banged on about doing so in election after election.

Aye, G12 bloke. Therein lies the rub.

I've often thought that there could be a much bigger effort to develop Dumbarton, the Ancient Capital of Strathclyde, as a tourist attraction. Not many places have such a fantastic Castle, loads of history and a mere hop and a skip from Loch Lomond.

Excellent ideas. Would fully support that initiative particularly if the £12 billion it will cost to replace was given back to economic development.

When Motorola closed the economic development agencies managed to find jobs for 95% of the employees within 6 months, in addition, the location was transformed into a multi-occupancy site and there are now more people employed than there was under Motorola.

The majority of people that work at Faslane have very transferrable skills, skills that are needed across Scotland and will find jobs very quickly. The faslane site has marine repair and maintenance infrastructure that is second to none, that could be converted into alternative use.

As I said in an earlier post, give the £12 billion it will cost to replace trident to the Scottish Government for economic development purposes and watch them go.

I've often thought that there could be a much bigger effort to develop Dumbarton, the Ancient Capital of Strathclyde, as a tourist attraction. Not many places have such a fantastic Castle, loads of history and a mere hop and a skip from Loch Lomond.

You know the castle is shut on a saturday :unsure:

When Motorola closed the economic development agencies managed to find jobs for 95% of the employees within 6 months, in addition, the location was transformed into a multi-occupancy site and there are now more people employed than there was under Motorola.

The majority of people that work at Faslane have very transferrable skills, skills that are needed across Scotland and will find jobs very quickly. The faslane site has marine repair and maintenance infrastructure that is second to none, that could be converted into alternative use.

As I said in an earlier post, give the £12 billion it will cost to replace trident to the Scottish Government for economic development purposes and watch them go.

Perhaps some of this £12 billion (wherever that figure came from) could be set aside to buy bicycles and support other Norman Tebbitt ideas.

Sooner or later Salmond is going to have to come to terms with the fact that Trident and its replacements are here to stay and they'll be staying at Faslane. He might as well do it now.