Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End

Queen's visit to Ireland

The first time a British monarch will have set foot in Ireland for a century. Hope this goes well. A very costly affair. Although, it could be a real boost to the Irish economy if they were to attract English tourists.

Why would English tourists go to Ireland to see the queen?

:lol: Be nice for them to see the country so hope this trip goes well and no trouble.

That would be a real turning point. :lol:

I can't rrally see what there is to be gianed form this visit. It's just seems to be stirring up a hornet's nest...

No sense in it, harper. The organisation both regarding time and the itinerary appears to have been given little thought.

I disagree.

i think it's a bold move and could be seen as progressive.

It's only those stuck in hatred that object!

That's a bit strong, Glads. You don't need to be stuck in hatred to think that the Monarchy is totally irrelevant in this day and age.

I think it is stirring up old wounds...

That's a bit strong, Glads. You don't need to be stuck in hatred to think that the Monarchy is totally irrelevant in this day and age.

I don't agree that it's stirring up old wounds - I see it as a more of a positive step that things have moved on. Wouldn't want to be putting words into Glad's mouth, but I read his comment about "people stuck in hatred objecting" as referring to the tiny minority of Irish Nats who aren't happy about the peace process and don't want to move on :unsure:

I don't consider the Monarchy to be "totally irrelevant in this day and age" either - and judging by the scenes witnessed of vast numbers of ordinary people celebrating the recent Royal Wedding, not to mention the millions of people watching on tv in this country and round the world it would seems that there are many others share my opinion :D

I disagree.

i think it's a bold move and could be seen as progressive.

It's only those stuck in hatred that object!

No doubt there are those stuck in hatred who object, gladtae. I think that is the worry. It is certainly 'a bold move' - let's hope it does not prove to be foolhardy?

I think it would be tremendous if all went well, however, there is no denying that there is risk involved.

No doubt there are those stuck in hatred who object, gladtae. I think that is the worry. It is certainly 'a bold move' - let's hope it does not prove to be foolhardy?

I think it would be tremendous if all went well, however, there is no denying that there is risk involved.

Sadly, we're living a world today when there's risk involved on numerous occasions especially when heads of state or prime ministers or whoever make state visits. Risks have to be evaluated, but if we go down the road of allowing a tiny minority of nutters to decide what can and can't happen, things are really in a bad way. :unsure:

It was being discussed this morning on Radio Scotland by some Irish folk - one was saying that it should have happened before now. The historian Ruth Dudley Edwards who has always seemed a reasonable type to me, was present. She's from a Catholic, nationalist background and seemed supportive of the visit and her view was that it could not have taken place any sooner.

It's clear that the vast majority of the Irish want to move on. Progress can't be allowed to be hindered by a minority of hate-filled individuals, whatever side of the divide they happen to be on.

Sadly, we're living a world today when there's risk involved on numerous occasions especially when heads of state or prime ministers or whoever make state visits. Risks have to be evaluated, but if we go down the road of allowing a tiny minority of nutters to decide what can and can't happen, things are really in a bad way. :unsure:

It was being discussed this morning on Radio Scotland by some Irish folk - one was saying that it should have happened before now. The historian Ruth Dudley Edwards who has always seemed a reasonable type to me, was present. She's from a Catholic, nationalist background and seemed supportive of the visit and her view was that it could not have taken place any sooner.

It's clear that the vast majority of the Irish want to move on. Progress can't be allowed to be hindered by a minority of hate-filled individuals, whatever side of the divide they happen to be on.

I think the sentiments are laudable, borderlass, and that most of the Irish will welcome this. It could be a big step in opening the doors and, as I said earlier, help expand tourism.

I couldn't have taken place sooner, the question is can it take place now? I think it's still early days but hope that I am wrong. However, if it was my mammy I couldn't hand on heart say that I would support her trip.

I don't think it is a bit - or even too - strong.

There are people who want to continue with their battles in a violent way and anything that threatens that, such as acts of reconciliation, can be seen, and treated, as a threat.

I'm no Royalist and would be happy to see that institution abolished. But we have them and they have a certain symbolism especially in a conflict stuck in the past.

The Queeen's visit is a positive step and hopefully part of the process towards full peace.

A couple of points.

The Queen hasn't launched an invasion of the Irish Republic, she had to be invited.

There has been about 200 protestors, albeit they are very vocal.

The Irish Republic has moved on - I just wish some people in Scotland could. Two years ago Ireland played England at rugby in Croke Park; without wishing to go into history but Croke Park is considered a very special place - 19 people were killed by British troops during the war of independence. Until that day Croke Park had deliberatley never staged any 'british sport' (rugby & football) and here it was not just breaking 90 years of convention but doing so with England. All hell was expected, especially when God Save The Queen was played. Nothing happened, not a sound, respect was observed.

The Queen deliberately laid a wreath at the monument to those people who died during the Irish war of independence.

Well done Maj, and well done to those who arranged the visit. A serious two finger salute to neanderthals who would rather live 90 years or 320 years ago. I apologise to any genuine neanderthals who have sneaked aboard a time machine, are reading this and feel offended.

I think the Irish Republic has made a very good job of moving on without any help at all from the Queen.

As you say, she has been invited to visit and while this is highly symbolic, it's hardly a peace delegation.

A lot of hard work has gone into the peace process, none of which can be attribute to the Queen. laugh.gif

And just because I think it is irrelevent doesn't make me part of the hate brigade.

I think the Irish Republic has made a very good job of moving on without any help at all from the Queen.

So, do you believe that everything is now hunky-dory and and nothing more needs to be done :rolleyes:

As you say, she has been invited to visit and while this is highly symbolic, it's hardly a peace delegation.

Symbolism plays a HUGE role in the Irish psyche when it comes to relations with Britain, so I would not dismiss it out of hand. As someone said on the radio this morning - the Queen has not been invited over to open a flower show. The places that she is visiting, such as Croke Park, have been carefully chosen for their symbolism. There is absolutely NO WAY that she could have visited Croke Park even 5 years ago.

I have the greatest respect for the Queen (85 years of age?) in being prepared to carry out this visit, given the security concerns and the history of relations between the British monarchy and the Irish nationalists.

I'm actually with Sam on this one Harper :angry::lol:

No, I don't think everything is hunky dory but I'm not investing as much in this visit as some other people. I think the real work has been done by the people of Ireland and better people that have gone before.

Yes, for some, the Queen's visit may be an important part of the process of peace and reconcilliation but that doesn't apply to everyone.

I have no great respect or disrespect for the Queen. I would just prefer not to have one or any of her dependents paid for out of my taxes, tyvm.

For those that welcome the visit, let them enjoy it. I am not convinced.

We can agree to disagree, Borderlass. tongue.gifsmile.gif

I suppose that'll take everyone's mind off Partioning then...rolleyes.gif

£30 million badly spend, IMV.

Only through the normalisation of behaviour and the erradication of fear will partitioning be abandoned.

The Queen now has herself a skill she can use should the UK become a republic. :blink:

Only through the normalisation of behaviour and the erradication of fear will partitioning be abandoned.

The Queen now has herself a skill she can use should the UK become a republic. :blink:

The auld lass did well, Sam. A fine example of life long learning.