Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
Sgriob

The Big Lie

Quoth the Independent today: "Britain's poorest areas will be left behind by David Cameron's Big Society, a major report will warn tomorrow, as two polls show that the public are increasingly confused by the concept...."

Me, I think it was cr*p from the get go. All sleight of tongue and misdirection, a way for the Guvmint to do and spend as little as possible, while ratcheting up the misery index and foisting the blame on the hoi polloi. As Orwellian gambit, quite clever; as policy: hypocritical, impractical, patronising and doomed to failure. Or is it just me?

Quoth the Independent today: "Britain's poorest areas will be left behind by David Cameron's Big Society, a major report will warn tomorrow, as two polls show that the public are increasingly confused by the concept...."

Me, I think it was cr*p from the get go. All sleight of tongue and misdirection, a way for the Guvmint to do and spend as little as possible, while ratcheting up the misery index and foisting the blame on the hoi polloi. As Orwellian gambit, quite clever; as policy: hypocritical, impractical, patronising and doomed to failure. Or is it just me?

No it's no just you, Sgriob. The biggest load of rubbish I ever heard. Nowadays it's quite common for existing volunteers to lose their positions when projects close due to lack of funding. Absolutely doomed for failure.

What's missing is any real enthusiasm or emotional commitment to the idea. You can't just exhort people to be better, more charitable, more sacrificing, less self-serving and expect it to happen. You need to give folk a vision.

The SNP has more going for it because so many Scots retain a real sense of patriotism. I'd be willing to change my lifestyle in some ways if I thought I could further Scotland's sovereign interests. Wouldn't do it on behalf of the good people of Essex, however.

The SNP has more going for it because so many Scots retain a real sense of patriotism. I'd be willing to change my lifestyle in some ways if I thought I could further Scotland's sovereign interests. Wouldn't do it on behalf of the good people of Essex, however.

Exactly :lol:

Top post my man