Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
Pat

The rich get richer

What a relief!

The UK's wealthiest people have rebounded from the recession increasing their worth by 18% in the past year, the Sunday Times Rich List says.

The economic crisis wiped £155bn from collective wealth of the 1,000 richest people in 2009, but they are now worth £395.8bn, according to the annual survey.

The number of billionaires in the UK now stands at 73 - up from 53.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13321462

I think the rich list should run side by side with a Philanthropists List. If they're not going to be taxed appropriately then maybe they can give away some of their dosh and bask in the feelgood factor. A great big kitty for the most deprived groups would come in handy.

I mean, it's not as though they would miss it.

Totally agree with you Sam - now there's a first :)

A first but no surprise, borderlass. I reckon many would agree that the super rich should pay a super tax. Given that is not the case then there are other options open to them.

Perhaps some, like Theo Paphitis, could invest their money in creating more and more companies and, therefore, creating more and more jobs. Then there's the Gates Foundation, the world's largest and richest philanthropic organisation, throwing cash on a global scale to promote health and development. More of the super wealthy could check out Bill and Melinda's approach.

I think a bit more information about what the rich actually do with their money and how they make their money might be of some benefit. The only female billionaire in the UK is the Specsavers woman. Now if she were to adopt the two for one approach that made her rich and give up the cost of every other pair of specs wouldn't that be a move in the right direction.

A rich man's revolt. Give the Government a showing up and say 'if you're not going to tax us then we'll give it away to the folks who deserve it'. Think of the options open to them - upping the minimum wage for all their employees for starters.

And if there is to no longer be, as looks the case, Crisis Loans, then some of the Dragons could put there heads and their cash together and create a fund for this purpose. With more jobs for those administrating it.

Lots of opportunities for the super rich to do the right thing. :D

This feels weird :D

:D

:lol: Don't be letting your guard down.

I have been devouring The Sunday Times Magazine - not something I often see. Jimbo spends every Sunday morning in a West End cafe downing several coffees and reading every newspaper. He brought me home the magazine because it had a feature on the Rich List plus something called The Giving List.

Needless to say I don't know most of the folk mentioned, however, it is interesting. First of all, philanthropists are getting less generous and charity donations from the top 100 philantrhopists is down on last year by £818m. Only two have give over £100m, that's dropped from five in the previous year.

The two most generous are Anurak Dikshit and the Sainsbury Family. Some names I did recognise were J.K. Rowling who gave £10m to Regenerative Neurology Clinic at Edinburgh University. In total she parted with £15.6m. That's a lot of money but not much of a dent in her £530m.

Eric Clapton is hardly going to miss £3.9m from his £125m fortune. Elton John was a bit more generous, he gave £26.8m from his £960m.

Bart Brecht, who gave £80.2m of his £90m fortune, and Christopher Cooper-Hohn, who parted with £75.5 or his £85m, are both setting a fine example and Richard Ross gave £33m of his family wealth of £58m.

Some are certainly more generous than others but not a hope that they are going to plug the Cuts gap and help the Coalition balance the national budget.

I ssy tax them - what can they do except flit - or do that evasion stuff. :)

I think quite a lot of them have already set up home in LA and possibly lots of offshore accounts.

Hording their riches appears to be a more attractive option than philanthropy. I may body swerve the next Harry Potter Film or has the last one been shown?

:D Don't be letting your guard down.

Absolutely - don't be thinking I've gone soft in my dotage :lol:

First of all, philanthropists are getting less generous and charity donations from the top 100 philantrhopists is down on last year by £818m. Only two have give over £100m, that's dropped from five in the previous year.

Doesn't surprise me - there are an awful lot of greedy, self-centred people around these days. Don't play the lottery myself, but am amazed at the way sales soar when the money builds up - not sure what they call it .

The two most generous are Anurak Dikshit and the Sainsbury Family. Some names I did recognise were J.K. Rowling who gave £10m to Regenerative Neurology Clinic at Edinburgh University. In total she parted with £15.6m. That's a lot of money but not much of a dent in her £530m.

Eric Clapton is hardly going to miss £3.9m from his £125m fortune. Elton John was a bit more generous, he gave £26.8m from his £960m

Bart Brecht, who gave £80.2m of his £90m fortune, and Christopher Cooper-Hohn, who parted with £75.5 or his £85m, are both setting a fine example and Richard Ross gave £33m of his family wealth of £58m.

At least Rowling & Co are giving something - a great many are giving absolutely zilch. What can anyone do with hundreds of millions of pounds :D Even buying all you would want to buy, having a tidy sum put away for the future, and a generous weekly allowance could easily be covered by 9 or 10 million. In fact, a fraction of that would keep me very happy and in a far better style than that to which I've ever been accustomed :D

I ssy tax them - what can they do except flit - or do that evasion stuff. :)

There was a programme on a wee while ago about tax evasion George Osborne ("we're all in this together") is one of the worst culprits, and he's not the only one in the current Cabinet.