Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
Grace Franklin

party in the park

Having spoken to several people who witnessed what happened in Kelvingrove Park on Friday when police had to disperse crowds of drunken yobs who were causing mayhem - I'm puzzled. Why did community police/regular police not monitor the crowds from the start of the day and confiscate liquor after giving maybe one warning to those who were drinking? It is illegal to drink in the park. Why were people allowed to get to such a state of intoxication that they started vicious fighting? Preventive policing does not seem to exist in Glasgow now. Only bring in the heavy team, police horses and helicopter when things get out of hand. Incidently, that police helicopter is supposed to be very expensive to run - several thousand pounds an hour. Does anyone have any facts on that element of the disgraceful day that casts a slur on this wonderful city of Glasgow.

Welcome to the Forum, Teenie.

Good point, Teenie. Flashmob and Facebook gatherings are hardly a new phenomena and I would have thought the police would have experience of managing young people in these types of situations. As you say, earlier interventions may have prevented the situaiton escalating.

Having spoken to several people who witnessed what happened in Kelvingrove Park on Friday when police had to disperse crowds of drunken yobs who were causing mayhem - I'm puzzled. Why did community police/regular police not monitor the crowds from the start of the day and confiscate liquor after giving maybe one warning to those who were drinking? It is illegal to drink in the park. Why were people allowed to get to such a state of intoxication that they started vicious fighting? Preventive policing does not seem to exist in Glasgow now. Only bring in the heavy team, police horses and helicopter when things get out of hand. Incidently, that police helicopter is supposed to be very expensive to run - several thousand pounds an hour. Does anyone have any facts on that element of the disgraceful day that casts a slur on this wonderful city of Glasgow.

Hi Teenie and welcome to the forum. I definitely see your point about 'monitoring'. There are indeed laws regarding drinking outside. A blind eye can no doubt be turned when people are just having a bit of fun but the option is certainly there to prevent the sort of trouble that escalated in the park.

Preventative policing sounds like the sensible option and surely much more effective and cheaper, and less newsworthy, than the horses and helicopter approach.

I don't know what the cost is for use of the helicopter but you often see one out over the Erskine Bridge after someone has jumped off. The cost of all these helicopter outings over the years would have easily covered the building of a barrier, which could have saved lives.

Regarding Kelvingrove, the widespread coverage of this event is not going to do the city's tourism any favours and will also put the wind up people using the park so some sort of strategy will have to be worked out to prevent similar events occurring.

Maybe the youngsters will choose less conspicuous venues for their public shenanigans. They seemed to have fun a few years back at the raves in disused warehouses. Then Bush Parties in other countries have been popular. Of course, we might need to penetrate some facebooks to suggest alternative options. B)

There's already been some discussion on the incident on the

Apparently the clean up after the party cost £40,000 and the council are considering recouping the cost from the nightclub that lent the speakers for the event. I can't really see how they can be held responsible for people adhering to the litter laws. B)

The council are set to discuss this and how unauthorised parties on such a scale (6,000) can be managed (or prevented).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-13262360

As the council found out today no Night club lent any speakers to anyone in Kelvingrove.

I look forward to David Cameron in the dock in St. Andrews Street for inciting royal wedding parties.

As the council found out today no Night club lent any speakers to anyone in Kelvingrove.

I look forward to David Cameron in the dock in St. Andrews Street for inciting royal wedding parties.

B) C'moan, Dex. If you know anything about the source of those speakers speak up.

I think the young folk should elect Monitors at these events.

Guest thomas

I think the young folk should elect Monitors at these events.

Are they flat screen monitors Pat?

Are they flat screen monitors Pat?

I wouldn't dream of advising the kids, thomas. No doubt they'll have a solution.B)

Kelvingrove to be closed tomorrow after a water fight party organised through Facebook.

"Kelvingrove Park will be locked in a bid to prevent a mass water fight.

It is feared thousands could turn up to take part in a second Facebook event planned for tomorrow."

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/editor-s-picks/council-orders-kelvingrove-lockdown-over-water-fight-1.1099731

Is this going to be a regular occurrence? What if events are planned every week-end. Is that the park to be out of bounds all summer?

What about football matches. Should they all be cancelled?

The park was NOT out of bounds Pat - heavy police presence in the morning when I was there, at all the entrances and throughout the park but I was able to enjoy my walk. At tea time very few police to be seen and the park was quite busy - still a number of council employees around and I think the gates were being locked at 8.00pm.

There has been a real issue with Kelvingrove Park over recent years - it's a PUBLIC park, which means it should be available to all sections of the community at all times and not just to 16-25 year olds, a significant number of whom drink themselves stupid. I keep well clear of the park during the nice evenings now - during the day when it's good weather there are families with young children, elderly people and groups of young folk playing Frisbee or engaging in various harmless activities. Too often when it comes to the evening it turns into a huge outdoor drinking den for a certain age group, with drunks urinating all over the place.

The fact that the park is now being targetted for those kind of events being organised via Facebook is a serious concern. Any kind of event being held in a public park has to be properly organised with stewards and public toilets - and that's just for starters. The idea that someone can just decide to invite thousands of people via the internet to an "event" in a public park is ridiculous - surely no sensible person can think otherwise? We all know that Health & Safety rules can be over the top at times, but when it comes to thousands of people descending on a public park some care has to be taken? And that's before you take in to account the fact that all of these internet-organised events attract groups that are out to cause trouble. Apparently at a "water fight" in London recently someone was killed and other were injured.

As regards Football matches, they are heavily policed - certainly in the case of Old Firm matches. I've never attended a football match, but I would imagine that there is some kind of "stewarding"?

I don't know what the answer is with Kelvingrove, but there are serious issues there that need to be addressed.

The park was NOT out of bounds Pat - heavy police presence in the morning when I was there, at all the entrances and throughout the park but I was able to enjoy my walk. At tea time very few police to be seen and the park was quite busy - still a number of council employees around and I think the gates were being locked at 8.00pm.

Either the Times got it wrong or there was a change of mind, borderlass. Pleased to hear that it wasn't closed.

There has been a real issue with Kelvingrove Park over recent years - it's a PUBLIC park, which means it should be available to all sections of the community at all times and not just to 16-25 year olds, a significant number of whom drink themselves stupid. I keep well clear of the park during the nice evenings now - during the day when it's good weather there are families with young children, elderly people and groups of young folk playing Frisbee or engaging in various harmless activities. Too often when it comes to the evening it turns into a huge outdoor drinking den for a certain age group, with drunks urinating all over the place.

The fact that the park is now being targetted for those kind of events being organised via Facebook is a serious concern. Any kind of event being held in a public park has to be properly organised with stewards and public toilets - and that's just for starters. The idea that someone can just decide to invite thousands of people via the internet to an "event" in a public park is ridiculous - surely no sensible person can think otherwise? We all know that Health & Safety rules can be over the top at times, but when it comes to thousands of people descending on a public park some care has to be taken? And that's before you take in to account the fact that all of these internet-organised events attract groups that are out to cause trouble. Apparently at a "water fight" in London recently someone was killed and other were injured.

Yes, the incident in London was reported in the same news report that I pointed to. I think Rory raised the question about the Parkies, I doubt there are that many employed these days. Not their job to break up trouble but if they are around then they can make the police aware and then it's their job to sort out. That's before the horses and helicopters get called in.

As regards Football matches, they are heavily policed - certainly in the case of Old Firm matches. I've never attended a football match, but I would imagine that there is some kind of "stewarding"?

I don't know what the answer is with Kelvingrove, but there are serious issues there that need to be addressed.

I know football matches are heavily policed - that's because they half expect trouble and the police are there to prevent it, contain it or address it.

The issue does need to be addressed and if it's the case that there is some expectation of trouble in the Parks then the police need to prevent it rather than the Council consider locking folk out. As I said - football matches are not cancelled. Then I guess it will be all about who foots the bill but we're the ones paying the Council Tax. I assume that covers Parks.

The rain helps of course. :rolleyes: