Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End

[

It's a strange one... not billed as a state occasion but filled to the gunnels with horses, ceremonial toot and flunkies. Now there's a job you don't see advertised every day. laugh.gif

I can't quite get my head round this one either - the argument that it's a "private" ceremony and not a "state" occasions - wonder what it would be like if it was more "formal" :lol:

My (much) better half is full of excitement about the parades and uniforms and horses and ceremony and pomp and all of it. So I have to go to the Oran Mor and drink the BEER from an early stage of the day. :lol::lol:B);)

So you won't be getting in to the spirit of thing with the French champagne and Kent wine then - even Kate's family (the other "commoners" )will be forsaking their pints for the occasion :):D

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bet the father of the bride is glad he isn't footing the bill for this

I think they're chipping in, samsc.

Just see them on the balcony and I am pleased to see such a lovely dress. Hope this means that the bare shouldered, plunging neckline cocktail dresses that brides have been wearing for the past few years are now on the way out. :lol:

The canary look that the Queen has gone for is probably best avoided by grannies of the groom.

I think they're chipping in, samsc.

Just see them on the balcony and I am pleased to see such a lovely dress. Hope this means that the bare shouldered, plunging neckline cocktail dresses that brides have been wearing for the past few years are now on the way out. :lol:

The canary look that the Queen has gone for is probably best avoided by grannies of the groom.

I believe the Middleton's are putting in £100k, we tax payers will be chipping in the other £29.9 million

I believe the Middleton's are putting in £100k, we tax payers will be chipping in the other £29.9 million

Doesn't sound very fair. Hope the tourism revenue in London will be shared with all tax payers.

Well, I thought it was lovely and it was great to see such vast crowds of ordinary people out on the street celebrating and having a great time :lol: I was also pleased to see so many young people involved. Every time you switch on the news these days it's tragedy, disaster, politcial upheaval in one part of the world or another, not to mention masked anarchist rampaging on the streets of London.

Where do you get your figures from, out of interest Sam? Might also add that the Royals are also taxpayers including William who is held in very high regard by the people he works with on a daily basis in the RAF Search & Rescue team.

The wedding may have cost British business 5 billion quid, which would put paid to the hoary old argument that the Royals are a plus to the economy. At least that's according to the Telegraph, a newspaper I quote only when its view coincides with my prejudices:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/royal-wedding/8155625/Royal-wedding-marriage-will-cost-economy-5bn.html

The wedding may have cost British business 5 billion quid, which would put paid to the hoary old argument that the Royals are a plus to the economy. At least that's according to the Telegraph, a newspaper I quote only when its view coincides with my prejudices:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/royal-wedding/8155625/Royal-wedding-marriage-will-cost-economy-5bn.html

The headline is a bit misleading as it doesn't quite tie in with what's being said in the article i.e. that's it's the two consecutive 4 day weekends that are the issue - at least from my reading of it :lol: The wedding is only 1 day - what about the other 3 days bank holiday - are they not causing lost revenue or is it just today ? It also states that it's reckoned that a billion will be clawed back in tourism revenues etc from the wedding and that pubs and retailers were expecting extra business.

Closer to home I'll definitely be avoiding Kelvingrove Park this evening. :lol:

Well, no surprises there The police should never have allowed it to go ahead - it was pretty obvious there would be trouble when they tried to break it up once everyone had been boozing for several hours. :lol:

Botanic Gardens is closed as well - nice Bank Holiday evening and the west end parks are closed on account of a few morons deciding they had the right to take over a public park and issue an invite via Facebook to all an sundry :lol:

Well, I thought it was lovely and it was great to see such vast crowds of ordinary people out on the street celebrating and having a great time smile.gif I was also pleased to see so many young people involved. Every time you switch on the news these days it's tragedy, disaster, politcial upheaval in one part of the world or another, not to mention masked anarchist rampaging on the streets of London.

Where do you get your figures from, out of interest Sam? Might also add that the Royals are also taxpayers including William who is held in very high regard by the people he works with on a daily basis in the RAF Search & Rescue team.

I thought it was a great shame that the Queen didn't choose a Scottish title for the couple, given where the romance started.

I have just watched the highlights and I have to say, they really are delightful.

Now, can we all get back to normal?

I thought it was a great shame that the Queen didn't choose a Scottish title for the couple, given where the romance started.

I have just watched the highlights and I have to say, the really are delightful.

Yeah, it has rather dominated, harper.

Hope our parks will be normal too and that we have no more 'celebrations' in Kelvingrove. :lol:

I have just watched the highlights and I have to say, they really are delightful.

I believe they also got a Scottish title, Lady and Earl of Strathearn, or something like that.

Right, how many of you were in Kelvingrove Park, drunk and lobbing bottles at the polis?

I believe they also got a Scottish title, Lady and Earl of Strathearn, or something like that.

Right, how many of you were in Kelvingrove Park, drunk and lobbing bottles at the polis?

Less trouble than at Ibrox last week and at any West End Festival. Results on the Domestic violence front are awaited.

Less trouble than at Ibrox last week and at any West End Festival. Results on the Domestic violence front are awaited.

Any murders? Actually last weeks' wee skirmish at Ibrox resulted in 9 arrests, yesterday's party saw 21 arrests.

A couple of friends attended yesterday's swarrie in Kelvingrove Park. Their view was the police were to blame for turning a good day into a bit of trouble.

Any murders? Actually last weeks' wee skirmish at Ibrox resulted in 9 arrests, yesterday's party saw 21 arrests.

A couple of friends attended yesterday's swarrie in Kelvingrove Park. Their view was the police were to blame for turning a good day into a bit of trouble.

Haven't heard about any murders, samsc, but you've got to wonder about the no drinking in public places by-law. Looks as about effective as the no litter. You can't leave your car for two minutes on a yellow line without getting a ticket but you can drop as much litter as you like and get steamboats in a public park.

The police new about the event beforehand and I'm sure by far the majority of those participating were just there for a bit of fun but how many were openly drinking alcohol? Should there not be intervention or warnings given before a few get blotto and cause bother?

Haven't heard about any murders, samsc, but you've got to wonder about the no drinking in public places by-law. Looks as about effective as the no litter. You can't leave your car for two minutes on a yellow line without getting a ticket but you can drop as much litter as you like and get steamboats in a public park.

The police new about the event beforehand and I'm sure by far the majority of those participating were just there for a bit of fun but how many were openly drinking alcohol? Should there not be intervention or warnings given before a few get blotto and cause bother?

I defend the right of people to enjoy a drink in public. Who the hell are our law makers that they now tramp all over picnics because a bottle of chablis was produced. This is bad law, usual sledge hammer to crack a nut law to deal with underage Maddog and buckie drinkers. There already were sufficient laws to deal with that scenario, that was just more police powers to be abused by the police. Why the police decided that the party must stop at 5pm is the question that needs to be asked of the police.

Why the police decided that the party must stop at 5pm is the question that needs to be asked of the police.

NO - why the police allowed the event to go ahead in the first place is the question that I want answered. It was illegal, unofficial and unsafe and only a complete idiot could not have predicted how it would have turned out.

Personally I'm absolutely sick of Kelvingrove being out of bounds to all except teens & twenties who can't enjoy the sunshine without getting p****d out of their heads. Nobody has any any problem with someone "enjoying a drink in public" - idiots getting so drunk that they can hardly stand and urinating publicly is another matter. Those who defend the "right to have a drink in public" always refer to "a" can or "a" bottle (singular) - as if the lawmakers are just trying to clamp down on "civilised drinkers" - yeah, right.

Walked thru' the park this morning and the grass (at Eldon Street anyway) is covered in broken glass - so much for families with toddlers wanting to enjoy a picnic in the nice weather over the next couple of months. :lol:

And the Botanic Gardens was also closed last night - that was around 7.00pm. Two most popular parks in the city closed to all on a nice bank holiday evening.

I can see you point Sam. People should be able to have a drink with their picnic. There does seem to be a problem with responsible drinking thoug and Borderlass is right. The parks should be able to be enjoyed by everyone.

Where are the Park Keepers in all of this. Are they about to keep an eye on things to see if they get out of hand or should alcohol be confiscated? I think that Pat is right with regard to litter laws. Has anyone ever been fined.

I hope the parks will not be closed again because that is unfair on everyone.

NO - why the police allowed the event to go ahead in the first place is the question that I want answered. It was illegal, unofficial and unsafe and only a complete idiot could not have predicted how it would have turned out.

Personally I'm absolutely sick of Kelvingrove being out of bounds to all except teens & twenties who can't enjoy the sunshine without getting p****d out of their heads. Nobody has any any problem with someone "enjoying a drink in public" - idiots getting so drunk that they can hardly stand and urinating publicly is another matter. Those who defend the "right to have a drink in public" always refer to "a" can or "a" bottle (singular) - as if the lawmakers are just trying to clamp down on "civilised drinkers" - yeah, right.

Walked thru' the park this morning and the grass (at Eldon Street anyway) is covered in broken glass - so much for families with toddlers wanting to enjoy a picnic in the nice weather over the next couple of months. :angry:

And the Botanic Gardens was also closed last night - that was around 7.00pm. Two most popular parks in the city closed to all on a nice bank holiday evening.

Pray tell what was illegal about people coming together in a public park. And why must we be herded like cattle and only allowed to congregate where we are officially told to do so. And, please do not quote fanciful health and safety issues - for generations we were able to congregate without apparently putting ourselves in desperate danger. Maybe the withdrawal of public toilets is an issue the council needs to address rather than blaming people finding alternative facilities because there are none in the park.

I have already stated what this bad law was made to clamp down on; its a law that was unneccessary. Underage drinking is illegal. Being drunk and disorderly is illegal. Why was extra law required? So that the police in this ever creeping police state could use their 'discretion' and decide to whom they turn a blind eye drinking in public?

Why were the parks shut? Police advice - as in they couldn't be bothered doing their jobs. They would rather shut down parties and charge people enjoying themselves.

I'm not going to waste my time arguing with you Sam if you genuinely see nothing wrong with drunken louts taking over a public park, and then choose to blame the police for any trouble that ensues :angry: .

Your defense of the behaviour of drunken louts is as fanciful and irrational as your arguments in favour of Scottish independence :rolleyes: