Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
Pat

Mugdock Country Park

We've often headed up to Mugdock Country Park for a roam around, tea and scones in the Visitor Centre and entertainment at the music festival. We've managed to miss quite a lot.

I just found out today that Mugdock has a fascinating history and was home to many famous residents including John Smith the bookseller (1675-1752). What a great loss to the city when his bookshops closed down in 1990s; Jimbo grieved for years when we lost the one on Byres Road.

Another former resident of Mugdock was Sir Harold Yarrow:(1885 - 1962) Shipbuilder & Philanthropist and son of Alfred Yarrow, founder of Yarrow's shipyard.

Then there was Archibald McLellan: Glasgow Bailie & Fine Art Collector, responsible for giving us the McLellan Gallery in Sauchiehall Street. He leased Mugdock Castle around 1835 and lived there until he died aged 59.

More famous Mugdock folk include the odd Marquis and magnate. Fascinating!

http://www.mugdock-country-park.org.uk/builtheritage_famousresidents.html

We've often headed up to Mugdock Country Park for a roam around, tea and scones in the Visitor Centre and entertainment at the music festival. We've managed to miss quite a lot.

I just found out today that Mugdock has a fascinating history and was home to many famous residents including John Smith the bookseller (1675-1752). What a great loss to the city when his bookshops closed down in 1990s; Jimbo grieved for years when we lost the one on Byres Road.

Another former resident of Mugdock was Sir Harold Yarrow:(1885 - 1962) Shipbuilder & Philanthropist and son of Alfred Yarrow, founder of Yarrow's shipyard.

Then there was Archibald McLellan: Glasgow Bailie & Fine Art Collector, responsible for giving us the McLellan Gallery in Sauchiehall Street. He leased Mugdock Castle around 1835 and lived there until he died aged 59.

More famous Mugdock folk include the odd Marquis and magnate. Fascinating!

http://www.mugdock-country-park.org.uk/builtheritage_famousresidents.html

There have been clearly some quite outstanding buildings scattered across Mugdock park; such a pity they were allowed to go to ruin.

There have been clearly some quite outstanding buildings scattered across Mugdock park; such a pity they were allowed to go to ruin.

It must have been amazing, samsc, and it is a lovely location. Still nice to dwell on its interesting history including: The Drowning Pond, which was used to determine whether someone was a witch or not.

Once you were at The Drowning Pound you were either going to die as a result of prolonged ducking. If you survived that meant you were a witch. I guess that was a no win situation. :lol:

http://www.mugdock-country-park.org.uk

I agree with you Sam. More effort should have been made to hang onto some of these historic buildings. It is still a great park though and I prefer it to some of the other parks in Glasgow as it is wilder. The Visitor Center is an asset and could be copied for the Botanic Gardens and Kelvingrove.

I agree with you Sam. More effort should have been made to hang onto some of these historic buildings. It is still a great park though and I prefer it to some of the other parks in Glasgow as it is wilder. The Visitor Center is an asset and could be copied for the Botanic Gardens and Kelvingrove.

The Visitor Centre at the Botanics has always been a bit underwhelming but the Kibble Palace is fantastic and there have been many excellent events there, Rory. Lovely just to wander around as well.

I think a lot of people visiting Kelvingrove toddle on over to the Museum and Art Gallery for some culture and coffee. There's also a wee coffee shop there these days. A Visitor Centre might be nice and possibly a way of making some money. They wouldn't be short of subject matter for postcards and prints. However, first on the list should be the resurrection of the Band Stand.

p.s. some fabulous shots of Mugdock by Lone Groover:

As a dog owner, Mugdock has long been a favourite venue of mine - superb walking, scenery and good home-baking at the cafe :)

Tons of history there - there's also the site of Wilson's Zoo which operated around the 1930's I think, one of their star attractions being Charlie the Elephant.

Then there's the ack-gun site that was used during WW2 where they could scan Clydeside for incoming German planes.

There was talk a number of years ago of turning Craigend Castle into luxury flats, but it came to nothing. Think it's probably too far gone now, plus I don't imagine folk who could afford to pay to live there would appreciate having crowds of the hoi poli from Glasgow walking past their windies B)

As a dog owner, Mugdock has long been a favourite venue of mine - superb walking, scenery and good home-baking at the cafe :)

Tons of history there - there's also the site of Wilson's Zoo which operated around the 1930's I think, one of their star attractions being Charlie the Elephant.

Then there's the ack-gun site that was used during WW2 where they could scan Clydeside for incoming German planes.

There was talk a number of years ago of turning Craigend Castle into luxury flats, but it came to nothing. Think it's probably too far gone now, plus I don't imagine folk who could afford to pay to live there would appreciate having crowds of the hoi poli from Glasgow walking past their windies B)

Certainly a lot going for it, borderlass. Also a very good location for the Mugdock Festival, Jim has played there a couple of times and it was ideal for performers and families. Erne Parkin, who was the tour de force behind the festival, died very suddenly a couple of years back but I believe it is continuing.

Dawsholm is another great park for the dogs to stretch their legs. :)