Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End

New Parliament in May

Bit of a stoochie in Parliament with the announcement of SNP’s Tricia Marwick as Scottish Parliament’s first female Presiding Officer. She beat Labour's Hugh Henry by 73 to 55 votes.

Borders SNP MSP Christine Grahame lost out in the first round of voting.

Former Deputy Presiding Officer Trish Godman summed up Labour fury, saying: “This is totally partisan and demeans a parliament founded on consensus. It is an orchestrated political campaign from the SNP, who have set the wrong tone at the start...Clearly the SNP think they can be judge and jury now. It is shameless stuff and not what the founders of the parliament envisaged."

Paul Martin, Labour MSP threw in his tuppenceworth: "The appointment of the new Presiding Officer was a big challenge for the new majority government and it has not got off to a good start."

So not everyone is happy with this result. Although first time a woman has held the position of Presiding Officer.

Another wee cloud in the sky has appeared with Westminster’s Scottish Affairs Committee asking for an Electoral Commission to launch an inquiry into the election. There are concerns regarding ballots having been spoiled because of a clash with the AV referendum and over recounts.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/politics/marwick-becomes-first-female-presiding-officer-1.1100940

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That would seem to provide a good basis for working out the cost, samsc, but doesn't say much for the researchers at Holyrood, who came up with the 'airy fairy scary' figure.

From what I read the researchers are a politically neutral group and presumably have access to all the exact figures, so I'll put my money upon them being the more accurate as they have nothing to gain by misleading the public.

You're right about the stoochie in Parliament, Pat - heard on the radio that apart from the Presiding Officer's post going to an SNP member, it's also SNP members who are being appointed to head up the various committees. "If" that is indeed the case, then Salmond's spiel about listening to all parties etc is already beginning to sound pretty hollow. Not sure what the figures were previously, but Bill Aitken (Tory) was the convenor of the Justice Committee under previous adminsitrations.

The Scotsman mentions another couple of pledges which the researchers are questioning.

From what I read the researchers are a politically neutral group and presumably have access to all the exact figures, so I'll put my money upon them being the more accurate as they have nothing to gain by misleading the public.

You're right about the stoochie in Parliament, Pat - heard on the radio that apart from the Presiding Officer's post going to an SNP member, it's also SNP members who are being appointed to head up the various committees. "If" that is indeed the case, then Salmond's spiel about listening to all parties etc is already beginning to sound pretty hollow. Not sure what the figures were previously, but Bill Aitken (Tory) was the convenor of the Justice Committee under previous adminsitrations.

The Scotsman mentions another couple of pledges which the researchers are questioning.

It looks like bombardment after the euphoria. Is the Presiding Officer not elected? I don't really understand why the result is unfair.

With regard to the figures is it not difficult to project. How can costs take account of future changes? I see what you mean Sam looking at previous costs but do not think that can provide the whole picture.

That would seem to provide a good basis for working out the cost, samsc, but doesn't say much for the researchers at Holyrood, who came up with the 'airy fairy scary' figure.

depends who is paying them. The Scotsman for instance, takes a very unionist stance and still loves going with a scare the jocks agenda

depends who is paying them. The Scotsman for instance, takes a very unionist stance and still loves going with a scare the jocks agenda

As the researchers are employed in the Scottish Parliament Information Centre,based at Holyrood and have their papers published on the Scottish Government website, then I would assume that their wages are being paid by the taxpayer and not by any newspaper, regardless as to whether the paper in question takes a Unionist nor a Nationalist stance :)

I would also have thought that basic common sense would suggest that the cost of funding the council tax freeze will rise every year, and that experience has shown that governments tend to wildly under estimate what something will cost rather than over estimate. So while the politically neutral researchers figures might be "scary" I would suggest that it's more the Nats figures that are "airy fairy" :lol:

As the researchers are employed in the Scottish Parliament Information Centre,based at Holyrood and have their papers published on the Scottish Government website, then I would assume that their wages are being paid by the taxpayer and not by any newspaper, regardless as to whether the paper in question takes a Unionist nor a Nationalist stance :)

I would also have thought that basic common sense would suggest that the cost of funding the council tax freeze will rise every year, and that experience has shown that governments tend to wildly under estimate what something will cost rather than over estimate. So while the politically neutral researchers figures might be "scary" I would suggest that it's more the Nats figures that are "airy fairy" :lol:

£70 million last year. Even allowing for inflation of 10% the next five years cost less than £400 million yet for some reason the figure £3.5 billion is accepted. If you bothered to read the SPice report you would see it covers the period 2007 to 2016 and is based on a fictional basis of what council tax could have risen by. Piss and wind.

£70 million last year. Even allowing for inflation of 10% the next five years cost less than £400 million yet for some reason the figure £3.5 billion is accepted. If you bothered to read the SPice report you would see it covers the period 2007 to 2016 and is based on a fictional basis of what council tax could have risen by. Piss and wind.

I am well aware of the period it is covering - nobody has suggested that the figure of £3.5 billion is anything other than a cumulative cost of what the council tax freeze will have cost the taxpayer over the period of the SNP administration of Hoyrood. As an SNP supporter it is only to be expected that you will dismiss as "piss and wind" or "fiction" anything that contradicts what your party tells you.

For my part, I believe that it is more realistic to view the entire cost to the taxpayer, rather than wave around a figure of "70 million pounds last year". And I re-iterate that I will always have more confidence in what I am told by a politically neutral body than in what I am told by any political party machine.

God, we are no half getting pelters doon here since the election results.... some folks are postively hostile!

The English media are going to town with polls showing that there is greater support in England than Scotland and demading that if Scotland joins the EU independently Scots should be not allowed to "come down here and take English jobs." All redtop stuff of course but quite disturbing.

I was surprised how quickly the whole election result became focused on the issue of independence. I would have thought the debate on the immediate financial pressures, as argued above would be mich more pressing.

Right, back to you two.... and Sam, no need to snarf....laugh.gif

God, we are no half getting pelters doon here since the election results.... some folks are postively hostile!

The English media are going to town with polls showing that there is greater support in England than Scotland and demading that if Scotland joins the EU independently Scots should be not allowed to "come down here and take English jobs." All redtop stuff of course but quite disturbing.

I was surprised how quickly the whole election result became focused on the issue of independence. I would have thought the debate on the immediate financial pressures, as argued above would be mich more pressing.

Right, back to you two.... and Sam, no need to snarf....laugh.gif

It will be them English coming up here looking to get educated and get jobs

It will be them English coming up here looking to get educated and get jobs

Think that happens already, samsc, although, many, many more Scots work in England than vice versa.

Wee bit worrying the idea of increased animosity between the Scottish and English. Thatcher's policies laid the ground for ill feelings towards the English. It's been my impression that this has decreased.

Definately rumblings in the press and round the watercoolers...

Talking to a friend from Orkney last night, he told me that 40% of the population is English and most of them claim to vote SNP. Good to see recognition and support for good governance. regardless of nationality. smile.gif

Definately rumblings in the press and round the watercoolers...

Talking to a friend from Orkney last night, he told me that 40% of the population is English and most of them claim to vote SNP. Good to see recognition and support for good governance, regardless of nationality. smile.gif

Think that happens already, samsc, although, many, many more Scots work in England than vice versa.

Absolutely true Pat. Both my nephews are down south (just an example Sam :lol: ) - one because he married an English girl, but the other moved south because he couldn't get work up here (and he has a good degree plus good experience in I.T.) Both are doing very well money-wise and career-wise in the south.

Wee bit worrying the idea of increased animosity between the Scottish and English. Thatcher's policies laid the ground for ill feelings towards the English. It's been my impression that this has decreased.

I think it's got a lot worse over the past years Pat, just going by some of the discussion programmes I've seen on the telly and some posts on a few forums that I've dropped in on. Various things have contributed imo - e.g. Scottish MP's voting on unpopular issues that don't affect Scotland and the perception that the Scots are getting "more than the English" with things like free prescriptions etc. (all paid for by the English according to people like Kelvin McKenzie) There seems to be a very limited understanding of how devolution works amongst sections of the English people, which is being fully exploited by sections of the English media.

I do think it's very worrying tho' - Britain is a small enough country with enough divisions and tribalism already :(

Absolutely true Pat. Both my nephews are down south (just an example Sam :lol: ) - one because he married an English girl, but the other moved south because he couldn't get work up here (and he has a good degree plus good experience in I.T.) Both are doing very well money-wise and career-wise in the south.

I think it's got a lot worse over the past years Pat, just going by some of the discussion programmes I've seen on the telly and some posts on a few forums that I've dropped in on. Various things have contributed imo - e.g. Scottish MP's voting on unpopular issues that don't affect Scotland and the perception that the Scots are getting "more than the English" with things like free prescriptions etc. (all paid for by the English according to people like Kelvin McKenzie) There seems to be a very limited understanding of how devolution works amongst sections of the English people, which is being fully exploited by sections of the English media.

I do think it's very worrying tho' - Britain is a small enough country with enough divisions and tribalism already :(

I was thinking more that anti-English feelings had subsided a bit since the Thatcher years, borderlass. I could be wrong. It is worrying and the media seems to be growing in power and recklessness in equal measure. That's also a major problem.

Looks like Salmond might be intent on garnering a bit more power and taking the helm with regard to the Commonwealth Games?

"ALEX SALMOND has thrown down the gauntlet to Labour in its Glasgow heartland by staking his claim to control the 2014 Commonwealth Games."

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/politics/salmond-throws-down-the-gauntlet-in-glasgow-1.1102039

In 2007, Mr Salmond reduced the size of his Cabinet with only five Secretaries for justice, health, finance, education and environment. He has now expanded his team. He has re-appointed his top team of Nicola Sturgeon, John Swinney, Kenny MacAskill and Michael Russell. Joining them will be Fiona Hyslop, Alex Neil and Bruce Crawford.

"Mr Salmond said: “The Scottish Government secured re-election on the basis of a successful team, and I am delighted to appoint my colleagues to a strengthened Cabinet team, delivering on the priorities of the people of Scotland.

Alex Neil joins the Cabinet for the first time, reflecting a renewed focus on jobs and investment, so that we sustain Scotland’s recovery.

This week, Scottish unemployment fell below the rate south of the Border, and we are determined to continue this progress which is why we also need to win new job-creating powers in the Scotland Bill.

As a Cabinet Secretary, Bruce Crawford will deliver on the government’s pledge to seek the maximum possible support for the government’s policy and legislative proposals regardless of our majority position and he will take on an important new role of developing government strategy and co-ordinating policy delivery across portfolios.

Major new opportunities are opening up on the global stage, with enormous and growing international interest in Scotland, and as Cabinet Secretary Fiona Hyslop will be in a position to ensure that these are realised in full for the nation’s commercial and cultural benefit."

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/mobile/news/editor-s-picks/team-scotland-1.1102636