Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
yonza bam

Pavement slides

When was the last time you saw kids on a pavement ice slide? They just don't do it any more. But then, there's lots of things we used to get up to when I were a lad that are totally unknown to today's kids. Peever, marbles, climbing trees, dreeping aff walls (and trees), guddling, exploring, etc.

Whenever the cold weather set in, we'd all skid across the pavement, grinding the ice and snow into a glassy slide. Usually, it would last a day before some pensioner came out and poured salt on it. The more boisterous kids would pelt her window with snowballs to let her know what they thought about that (no' me, of course).

School playgrounds would have several of them. The best ones were on downhill pavements. They were also the most lethal for unwary pedestrians, particularly when they got a light covering of snow after they were made, so that the danger was hidden. Cannae blame the pensioners for salting those ones. Happy days!

Think you're right about the slides, yonza, but then you don't often see kids out playing on their own. I don't think they would be allowed in the schools these days as they are so concerned with Health and Safety, that's often why schools don't open when the weather is bad.

Same with street games like peever (Hingmie is a bit of an expert see post 46- ). Great fun.

Big kids used to pass on the rules of games and certain skills to the smaller kids but I think that nowadays children are more often in the company of grown ups. My son John and I take the kids up the Kilpatrick Hills a lot and through the Lusset Glen, so he knows all about guddling the trout and building dams.

A million times more exciting and forking out for indoor places places called names like 'Shoots and Slides'. Play seems to have become a business rather than part of the daily life life of a child.

The kids are still up for the thrill of the slide, yonza.

Today on road to the Kilpatricks. Very slippery.

slide-8307.jpg