Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End

..I found it a breathtaking experience. The scipt was so so, the animation sublime, the 3D effect was gobsmacking.

Birds & butterflies floated out from the screen & hovered above my head, arrows whizzed past my ear & whacked into the popcorn muncher directly behind me, result!

I used to get the same effect in Curlers circa '72

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to get the same effect in Curlers circa '72

Exciting times, IonaW. With or without the special specs.

I agree with HH the 3D is amazing. The glasses don't work on the bus on the way home mind you. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Italian Film Festival in Scotland

Friday 1 - Thursday 14 April

Benvenuti to the Italian Film Festival in Scotland, curated by Glasgow Film Festival co-director Allan Hunter and Richard Mowe. Our 2011 edition includes a focus on actor Toni Servillo, and also highlights a diverse line-up of new and classic Italian cinema including comedies, dramas, thrillers and classics from award-winning directors and actors, as well as spotlighting debut films from exciting new talent.

Programme

I am happy to know that Toni Servillo is the main actor in Italian Film Festival in Scotland which might be the wonderful to watch on 14th April . Great to see the other categories like comedy, drama . I think there might be a great fun .

Welcome to the forum, Johnson. I certainly hope to catch some of the films - or one at least. I fancy Antonioni's - 'The Girlfriends. Although, I think 'A Quiet Life' with Servillo also looks worth a night at the flicks.

Italian Film Festival Programme GFT - if you don't see anything you fancy you can hop on a train to Dundee and Edinburgh the other cities participating in the festival. :lol:

I'm trying to find a space on Thursday to see Submarine - it's supposed to be super.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/reviews/submarine-richard-ayoade-93-mins-15-2246871.html

Welcome to the forum, Johnson. I certainly hope to catch some of the films - or one at least. I fancy Antonioni's - 'The Girlfriends. Although, I think 'A Quiet Life' with Servillo also looks worth a night at the flicks.

Italian Film Festival Programme GFT - if you don't see anything you fancy you can hop on a train to Dundee and Edinburgh the other cities participating in the festival. smile.gif

I'm trying to find a space on Thursday to see Submarine - it's supposed to be super.

http://www.independe...15-2246871.html

I'm well gel. I love nothing better than a night at the flicks.

*waves* welcome to the Forum Johnson. smile.gif

Me too, harper. We're spoiled with the GFT. Is it not time you had a week-end up North? We had some blue skies this afternoon. :rolleyes:

Not only have we the Italian Film Festival on right now bit this will be swiftly followed by the 9th Polish Film Festival and also Hungarian Film Festival in May.

These look good:

Polish double bill:

Glasgow / Nothing Personal

Sunday 3 April (17.00) Glasgow is the story of a twelve-year-old boy who is convinced that his father is a well-known Celtic football player. During the holidays, the boy tries to earn enough money to afford a trip to Scotland by helping a retired man with his household repairs. But there is much more awaiting the boy...

Followed by Nothing Personal. A young female rebel and an old sage challenge each other in a story about personal freedom and attachment. She is a young Dutch woman who, after throwing away all her possessions, becomes a vagabond and finds the solitude she was looking for in the austere landscape of Irish Connemara. He is an old man who lives a solitary life in a secluded house. What connects them is the solitude they both see as freedom. The old man offers the woman a deal: food in exchange for work. But there is one condition: no personal contact, no questions. As their mutual curiosity grows, who will be first to break the deal?

These films are screening as part of the 9th Polish Film Festival, curated by Kinoteka. Festival Programme

Then on Mother's Day there's another treat with:

Stella Dallas

Sunday 3 April (14.00)

Sprightly and ambitious Stella (Stanwyck) marries wealthy, but rather staid Stephen Dallas (Boles) and they have a daughter Laurel (Shirley). As they move in high society, their differences of background and personality become accentuated, and they drift apart. Wanting what's best for Laurel, Stella realises that she must make the ultimate sacrifice if she wants her to integrate into her father's world.

This is a classic tear-jerker with an unforgettable ending. Be sure to have two boxes of tissues on hand if you choose this movie - one for you, and one for mum!

Went to see Submarine today. Great to see something that breaks the mould. A mixture of tender young stuff and comedy from Richard Ayoade. Super acting from the two youngsters Oliver (Craig Roberts) and Jordana (Yasmin Paige).

The Independent describes it as 'charming' - it is. :rolleyes:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/reviews/submarine-richard-ayoade-93-mins-15-2246871.html

The Social Network.

Great movie, charting the beginning of Facebook and the lawsuits that followed. The insight into Ivy League fraternity clubs is quite an eye opener. Facebook is now valued at $25billion. Oh, to be a geek. rolleyes.giflaugh.gif

Good movie worth catching. 8/10

The Social Network.

Great movie, charting the beginning of Facebook and the lawsuits that followed. The insight into Ivy League fraternity clubs is quite an eye opener. Facebook is now valued at $25billion. Oh, to be a geek. rolleyes.giflaugh.gif

Good movie worth catching. 8/10

Sounds very good, harper.

I went along to the Italian Film Festival to see Antonionis's 'The Girlfriends',

It was great to see such a good turnout and the cinema was packed - few strange people around us mind you. One man shushing very loudly when there wasn't another sound and another man insisting, to a reluctant wife, that they move seats. :rolleyes:

You can see I was distracted as the film was not that gripping. Very slow and some very irritating characters - feminism wasn't yet flaunting itself in any big way. Some of the characters were very daft and irritating - maybe I was just in an irritable mood.

I felt better after 40 winks during the film. :lol:

Mind you I love the GFT. The sound in Cineworld is deafening - they really need to turn it down.

• 3 weeks later...

It was such a drab and rainy day that we decided to go to the pictures but there was nothing in particular that we were dying to see. We opted for 'The Lincoln Lawyer', which looked like a run of the mill courtroom drama but with a smashing cast: Matthew McConaughy, Marisa Tomei and Ryan Phillipe. It turned out to be very enjoyable. McConaughy was marvellous as the defence lawyer, Mick Haller, who employs somewhat unorthodox methods in bringing about justice.

Lots of light quirky touches and some love interest amid the courtroom scenes, the violence, suspense and the baddies. Plus a wee sting in the tail. Great stuff.

Review in The Guardian

• 2 weeks later...

What a great time I had at the GFT with my friend Katrina. We went along to see Sue Bourne's film about the Irish World Dance Championships in Glasgow. It was just fantastic. Not least of all because the audience contained lots of enthusiastic Irish Dancers and their followers. Quite odd really as the audience in the cinema is usually so artsy. However, their ultra-glam style reflected some of the more surreal elements of the film.

However, it was pretty compelling viewing - full of amazing characters, lots of fantastic, and fanatical, dancers and teachers. Rich parents crossing the world and poor parents struggling to support their kids in their quest to win the title. Some of the weans fairly pulled at your heartstrings. I laughed my head off and shed quite a few tears. What an emotional roller coaster and Glasgow looked fantastic.

If you get a chance go along. Well, if you feel you can open yourself up to that sort of thing. :rolleyes:

The Southside Film Festival

13 - 15th May, 2011

Glasgow Southside over various venues including: The Shed, 26 Langside Avenue, Glasgow, G41 2QS, Langside Library and Hutcheson's Grammar School, The Pearce Institute, Govan, The Boat Shed, Queens Park and Govanhill Baths.

The Film Festival aims to being Southsiders together to watch international and local films that they wouldn't see in the city centre cinema chains and can't access locally. Plus, they get a chance to meet Southside filmmakers such as Sergio Casci, Stephen McCole, David McKay and Gary Lewis as new and future Southside filmmaking talent. They can even make a film in the Southside over the weekend of the festival and see it on the big screen or learn about filmmaking in the festival workshops.

- Karen O'Hare, Director Southside Film Festival

This is the first ever film festival south of the Clyde and will cater to all Southsiders with screenings in various locations, from church halls to local clubs, from schools to the local park boat shed.

Programme and information at: www.southsidefilmfestival.net email for more information.

The festival is looking for volunteers to help out before and during the festival and also looking for films from Southside filmmakers.

The Southside Film Festival

13 - 15th May, 2011

Glasgow Southside over various venues including: The Shed, 26 Langside Avenue, Glasgow, G41 2QS, Langside Library and Hutcheson's Grammar School, The Pearce Institute, Govan, The Boat Shed, Queens Park and Govanhill Baths.

The Film Festival aims to being Southsiders together to watch international and local films that they wouldn't see in the city centre cinema chains and can't access locally. Plus, they get a chance to meet Southside filmmakers such as Sergio Casci, Stephen McCole, David McKay and Gary Lewis as new and future Southside filmmaking talent. They can even make a film in the Southside over the weekend of the festival and see it on the big screen or learn about filmmaking in the festival workshops.

- Karen O'Hare, Director Southside Film Festival

This is the first ever film festival south of the Clyde and will cater to all Southsiders with screenings in various locations, from church halls to local clubs, from schools to the local park boat shed.

Programme and information at: http://www.southsidefilmfestival.net email for more information.

The festival is looking for volunteers to help out before and during the festival and also looking for films from Southside filmmakers.

Delighted to see that the opening film for the Festival is American Cousins by Glasgow based screenwriter Sergio Casci. I've been watching out for the return of this film for a long time as I missed it first time round. :)

Delighted to see that the opening film for the Festival is American Cousins by Glasgow based screenwriter Sergio Casci. I've been watching out for the return of this film for a long time as I missed it first time round. :lol:

Went along to see this tonight. It was brilliant - even better than I anticipated. Brilliant script from Southsider, Sergio Casci, and superb cast.

• 1 month later...

Catching up with my updating on the website and pleased to see more great films at GFT. If you get a chance go along and enjoy Potiche. This film was on at the Film Festival with Catherine Deneuve it is a complete joy.

Also some thought provoking films as part of Refugee Week:

http://www.glasgowwestend.co.uk/whatson/janutcinema.html

Caught Potiche on Sunday. It's a great reminder how great European films are, compared to most of the rubbish that comes out of the Holywood film industry. The women looked amazing, fulsome and real! Great story line and acting from folks whose names I am not even going to attempt to spell... :lol:

Caught Potiche on Sunday. It's a great reminder how great European films are, compared to most of the rubbish that comes out of the Holywood film industry. The women looked amazing, fulsome and real! Great story line and acting from folks whose names I am not even going to attempt to spell... :lol:

It really is a cracker, harper, and agree about the women. Though Catherine Deneuve is out on her own.

I was pleased to see JIG showing in Toronto. I think this documentary about the Irish Dancing Championships in Glasgow is exceeding all expectations.

• 3 weeks later...

This should be interesting:

Cinema City event: Perfect Sense

Wednesday 27 July (18.15) - GFT

Glasgow Film has set up a project - Cinema City - which explores Glasgow's moving image history. As part of the project we will be hosting a series of monthly screenings of films made in the city. We're delighted to launch these screenings with a special preview of Perfect Sense before its official release this October.

Susan (Eva Green) is a hard-working scientist with little time for love and relationships. All that changes, however, when she meets Michael (Ewan McGregor), a talented, fun-loving chef. As the two begin to forge a connection they hear about a mysterious and terrifying disease spreading across the country, which robs people of their senses, one at a time. Scottish director David Mackenzie's seventh feature is the story of a couple falling in love whilst everything around them falls apart, an apocalyptic love story exploring the world of the senses.

• 2 weeks later...

I would really like to see this film:

The Big Picture

Friday 22 July - Thursday 4 August at Glasgow Film Theatre

Adapting Douglas Kennedy's acclaimed novel - and retaining all its insight and tantalizing suspense - Eric Lartigau guides French star Roman Duris to one of his best-ever performances. Paul Exben works in investment banking, a career that affords him a magazine-perfect lifestyle that he shares with his wife and family. But he laments not having pursued photography, his real passion. When he discovers that his wife has been having an affair with a former friend - who is also a successful photographer - Paul is tormented by rage and envy. A confrontation between the two men ends in the photographer's accidental death and Paul's sudden departure. By assuming the dead man's identity and fleeing for an isolated part of former Yugoslavia, Paul is able to escape the shackles of conformity and embrace his creativity. At once a portrait of a conflicted man and a sleek European thriller, The Big Picture counts as high-quality French entertainment - an escapist delight with substance.

Roman Duris was excellent in Heartbreaker. In fact a breath of fresh air. One of my favourite actresses, Catherine Deneuve, is also in the film.

Here's the trailer:

Play Poland

2nd August - 6th September at the GFT

Play Poland is a touring festival of film, bringing the cream of Poland’s recent output to the foremost independent cinemas across the UK. The titles in the programme have received significant exposure – and considerable acclaim – at film festivals internationally, and together provide an illuminating snapshot of current Polish filmmaking.

Ticket deal: see 4 films in this season for £24 full price or £18 concession.

Simply put one ticket for 4 different films in your basket and the discount will be applied at checkout. Make sure you select tickets at the correct price for you (ie if you're a student select all tickets at student price). CineCard holders get an extra pound off.

Little RoseN/C 15+

Tuesday 2 August - 17:45 p.m.

Set in the volatile period from 1967–8, as a wave of anti-Semitism sweeps through Eastern Europe, this is the story of a writer’s betrayal at the hands of a beautiful young informant, recruited by ...

LynchN/C 15+

Tuesday 9 August - 18:15 p.m.

In 2005, the lynching of a sixty-year-old man by a group of young people in a small Polish village was widely publicised in the Polish media. This film investigates the cause of the incident

b]General Nil

Tuesday 16 August - 18:00 p.m.

As a leader of the Polish resistance under the Nazi occupation, General Emil ‘Nil’ Fieldorf was hailed a hero. But his loyalty to the wartime Polish government in exile made him a distinct threat

MystificationN/C 15+

Tuesday 23 August - 18:00 p.m.

Dramatist, poet, novelist, painter, photographer, art theorist and philosopher, Stanislaw ‘Witkacy’ Witkiewicz was one of the leading members of Poland’s poetic and artistic avantgarde of the first...

Black

Tuesday 30 August - 18:00 p.m.

Returning to the village where he grew up years after the mysterious suicide of his father, thirty-something Czarny meets troubled teen and heavy metal fan Ola, who claims to be his stepsister.

Horizontal 8N/C 18+

Tuesday 6 September - 18:15 p.m.

Poland in the near future. A man wakes up in a hotel room with a gun and a briefcase full of money but no memory. When he throws the money out a window, the film follows one of the banknotes as it ...

http://www.glasgowfilm.org/

Glasgow Film Theatret, Rose Street

• 2 weeks later...

We went along to see Harry Potter and the deathly hallows part 2 at The Grosvenor the other day. What a comfy wee cinema and a great asset in the West End.

That's the first Harry Potter film that I've seen so I wasn't familiar with all the characters and my concentration waxed and waned. However, can't deny - it's very imaginative stuff.

Perfect Sense....Perfect Nonsense.

Went to see this at the one off showing at the G.F.T.recently.

This is one to avoid.The plot and acting are risible.

Ewan Mcgregor would have been as well phoning his performance in.Oh except if he did that you wouldnt get to see him take his clothes off. Again.Thats a career that mystifies me.

Eva Green sleepwalks through the part,and somehow manages not to be photogenic.

The plot regarding the mystery virus that firstly makes you sad,then ravenous could apply to any night out in the westend where youve had too much Sancerre.

How did it end?Cant say.Wee three left after an hour of our life that we will never get back,and at my age couldnt risk another 60 precious minutes of this hokum.

I will say that the audience were sitting in rapt attention watching the emperors clothes,or perhaps it was the lord provosts presence that prevented a mass stampede for the exit.Or maybe its just me.

willie.x