Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
Pat

Glasgow Cinema

I did enjoy Blue Jasmine,although not an easy ride.Blanchett and Hawkins are fab and must surely be Oscar contenders.

It's interesting how audiences continue to be nervous about mental health issues portrayed on film,when a clearly distressed Jasmine begins talking to herself,whilst on anti-psychotics and antidepressants,raising audience laughter,that perhaps a diagnosis of cancer wouldn't.I really was worried what would happen to Jasmine.

I agree, willie, I think there will be nominations for Blanchett and Hawkins. We didn't have your experience as when we went to the film there was no laughter during the scenes when Jasmine was losing it. I felt very low when I left the cinema and think that that was exactly the effect Woody had intended.

If you get the chance to catch Muscle Shoals do not miss it! .... A great documentary about the early years of Fame Studios and the legends that were made there. The only downer is Bono but everything else is top notch. There is a great review and preview in the Guardian but I can't paste the link, grrrrr

http://www.theguardian.com/film/video/2013/aug/16/muscle-shoals-trailer-documentary-video?INTCMP=ILCNETTXT3487

I had to type the whole darn thang ....

Woot, it worked!

I really loved Philomena. Much better than I had expected and superb acting by Dame Judy and Steve Coogan. An amazing true story.

I know it's been out for a while but did anyone see Gravity? I absolutely loved it but my colleague thought it was terrible. The tension lasts the entire time. When the film finished and I went to stand up my arms were sore - I didn't realise I'd been clenching the armrests the whole time!

A friend of mine told me that she hates Bullock, Cluney and anything to do with space.... but she loved this. :lol:

I'll be checking it out this week:)

Went to see The Secret Life of Walter Mitty. Not riveting nor too demanding but I enjoyed it. Great acting by Ben Stiller and some super cameos from Shirley Maclaine and Sean Penn. I particularly enjoyed the fantastic locations in Iceland.

If you get the chance to catch Muscle Shoals do not miss it! .... A great documentary about the early years of Fame Studios and the legends that were made there. The only downer is Bono but everything else is top notch. There is a great review and preview in the Guardian but I can't paste the link, grrrrr

http://www.theguardian.com/film/video/2013/aug/16/muscle-shoals-trailer-documentary-video?INTCMP=ILCNETTXT3487

I had to type the whole darn thang ....

Woot, it worked!

Hi harper, Been watching out for this movie. It's on at GFT early January so we'll definitely be going along. {)

I'll eat my hat if you are disappointed:)

I'm afraid we missed it because I was still sick. Hope to catch it next time round or maybe they'll put it up on GFT player http://www.glasgowfilm.org/player/player?page=1

Thankfully I'm feeling much better so we went today to see American Hustle. I got a teeny wee bit lost at times with the plot but the acting was brilliant. Very enjoyable.

Thanks, harper. Hope you're feeling better. I am back in the land of the living. Starting new class tomorrow.

Rented Muscle Shoals from iTunes. Brilliant and amazing story. Went along to see American Hustle. Loved it.

watched the odd life of timothy green the other day.

interesting wee quirky film...well worth a watch (take plenty of hankies)

I'm looking forward to Good Vibrations. Winner of Mark Kermode's Best Film Award. Being shown at The Glad Cafe by Southside Film Club

I'm looking forward to Good Vibrations. Winner of Mark Kermode's Best Film Award. Being shown at The Glad Cafe by Southside Film Club

off topic but...good film served to you by workfare staff on zero wages in the not so glad for all cafe.

the job center says theyre all volunteers mind :ph34r:

social enterprise?

I would need to know more about it, tig. I do know that it's a Community Enterprise and that they have a band of volunteers and a Volunteer Co-ordinator. I've been to gigs there and Jim and his Bearpit Brothers chose the venue to launch their CD. Two volunteers worked with them and were integral to the planning of the event and the performance – a fantastic help and Jim paid them. The band made nothing from the event. I expect that's often how it goes.

I met one of the volunteers again recently, a big smile on her face, helping with the launch of the Southside Festival HQ. I believe that the festival is largely, or even wholly run by volunteers, as is the Southside Film Club. It used to be called community development before the Tories got shot of all those community education, youth workers and development workers and volunteer co-ordinators.

There are masses of volunteers involved in the West End Festival and truly it could not succeed without them. I think that volunteering per se is no bad thing – without volunteers we would have no credit unions. People put a lot into their communities and can get an awful lot out of it, including a job. But as I say, I don't know all the ins and out and haven't seen the bad press relating to The Glad Cafe but I can vouch for the great atmosphere, a large part of that created by the happy workers. They have also just launched a Glad Rags Thrift Shop next door.

There are volunteers at GFT and also Kelvingrove.

people volunteering is one thing but people being "sent" on the workfare program is something else.

i dont know the ins n out but apparently they have been using said workfare people then claimed the job center told them they wouldnt lose benefits if they didnt do it....but thats no how the workfare program works im afraid so somebodies being a bit naive about it really.

I hate the whole idea of Workfare. On the other hand, volunteering can be a positive thing but it means choice.

true Pat

when i wasnt working a few years go i signed myself up with a city life program.

helping in soup kitchens, tidying up the farm in maryhill, giving basic computer lessons etc. so it does help non profit organisations and it gave me something to do when i was bored out my nut.

but given the conditions unemployed people face now (being told to look for work 8 hours a day etc) i think that will hinder people in the same situation i was in from volunteering.

under no sense of the word are workfare people volunteers though since we all know they get told to do it or else.

Agree, tig, workfare and volunteering are poles apart. Probably the most valuable thing a lot of young people could do to help them find work is volunteer but if they have to proved that they are looking for a job 8 hours a day then that rules that out. Yet another Tory travesty.