Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
Pat

Sledging

Sledging for the kids is so different these days. My son bought Ryan a sledge yesterday and took him to the park. When we were children we had never heard of such a thing as a bought sledge.

We built our own sledges, the trickiest part being fixing on the runners. We then took off down the hill outside our house. You had to keep an eye out for the odd car but traffic wasn't much of a problem.

Anyone else remember making their sledges?

Sledging for the kids is so different these days. My son bought Ryan a sledge yesterday and took him to the park. When we were children we had never heard of such a thing as a bought sledge.

We built our own sledges, the trickiest part being fixing on the runners. We then took off down the hill outside our house. You had to keep an eye out for the odd car but traffic wasn't much of a problem.

Anyone else remember making their sledges?

I remember being bored silly listening to the "skiing adventures" of the company I found myself in ("Once you have skiied in Banff (Canada) you will never go back to Europe") and then being asked by a skinny,probably anorexic female consultant if I had ever skiied. I was about twice her weight at the time, not exactly the fittest or sportiest I have ever been. Erm, No, I said but I have slid down a big hill in Dalmuir Park on a black bin bag on top of a stolen bread board !! She gave a somwhat nervous titter in reply B) That put her gas on a peep and I went on to enjoy my meal but noted she just played wi what was on her plate, poor soul.

I remember being bored silly listening to the "skiing adventures" of the company I found myself in ("Once you have skiied in Banff (Canada) you will never go back to Europe") and then being asked by a skinny,probably anorexic female consultant if I had ever skiied. I was about twice her weight at the time, not exactly the fittest or sportiest I have ever been. Erm, No, I said but I have slid down a big hill in Dalmuir Park on a black bin bag on top of a stolen bread board !! She gave a somwhat nervous titter in reply B) That put her gas on a peep and I went on to enjoy my meal but noted she just played wi what was on her plate, poor soul.

You can use a big tray or a 'stolen breadboard' for sledging, Hingmie, but a bit dangerous as no way of steering.

In one way more exciting because you just take off and crash land at the bottom of a hill, or when you run into something, but you don't get to use any sledge control skills.B)

Guest thomas

I was trying to find my contribution of 'sledging' in Kelvingrove Park which I posted on this board many moons ago, sadly, I cannot see it anywhere.

But the basic belief is - forget steering - there's more adventure going for it!

I was trying to find my contribution of 'sledging' in Kelvingrove Park which I posted on this board many moons ago, sadly, I cannot see it anywhere.

But the basic belief is - forget steering - there's more adventure going for it!

That's a shame, Thomas, the database can only hold so much information so 'many moons ago' posts unfortunately tend to disappear.

Thanks for giving us the gist but if you feel like repeating your story we'll be up for that. B)

(if anyone has any favourite posts, your own or those of others, maybe you could point me to them and we could have a dedicated best posts thread?)

We're still getting lots of people asking for old fashioned wooden sledges - with runners and wooden seats. I find that quite encouraging. What is actually quite fun, it using a half whisky barrel to sledge in (no official recommendation given of course!). It's the perfect width and curve for picking up speed!

We're down at Dalcross Street in Partick heind Kelvinhall Underground.

Guest Mr Harper

We're still getting lots of people asking for old fashioned wooden sledges - with runners and wooden seats. I find that quite encouraging. What is actually quite fun, it using a half whisky barrel to sledge in (no official recommendation given of course!). It's the perfect width and curve for picking up speed!

We're down at Dalcross Street in Partick heind Kelvinhall Underground.

Good to see you on here; I know a few southern wood recyclers ... Oxford & Brighton.

Am not going to make a joke about you being a splinter group.

I'll leave that to Tam :rolleyes:

Of course the nastier meaning of sledging is that oft enjoyed taunting beloved by Australian cricketers. They made a habit of 'insulting' the opposition batsman as he walked to the crease, usually making him angry and losing concentration. This rebounded spectacularly on one of the Aussies who on seeing the new Sri Lankian batsman walking to the crease shouted 'why are you so fat?', only for the Sri Lankian to retort 'because every time I make love to your wife she gives me a biscuit'.

Its a joke that has since been stolen (Still game used it I believe).

Of course the nastier meaning of sledging is that oft enjoyed taunting beloved by Australian cricketers. They made a habit of 'insulting' the opposition batsman as he walked to the crease, usually making him angry and losing concentration. This rebounded spectacularly on one of the Aussies who on seeing the new Sri Lankian batsman walking to the crease shouted 'why are you so fat?', only for the Sri Lankian to retort 'because every time I make love to your wife she gives me a biscuit'.

Its a joke that has since been stolen (Still game used it I believe).

I suppose the sports could be combined and you could taunt other sledgers from your breadboard as you skim down the hill. Of course, there's every possibility the kids already do this. :rolleyes:

Looking out our window it's almost a snow free zone. I feel as though I've flitted.