Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End

What did you do on those dark nights?

I think we called it consequences cos after all the question answering and that in and out thing you did, the last one was maybe a forfeit or said something like "you'll marry ......"

Oops, just noticed Iona's link. Fortune telling make sense re our name "consequences"

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we that is our street :D called it consequences too

What were "dabs" ?? just a name that came to mind and peeries????

Does anyone remember the technique of throwing ba's on the wa's? :D

under right leg

under left leg

to the right behind the back

to the left behind the back

splitsies

throw up (the ball) :) and catch

and repeat - at the speed of light if memory serves...

singing....?? sh*t I cannae remember the songs

was it "One two three o leerie.."

under right leg

under left leg

splitsies

I don't know anything about 'dabs' but remember the peeries. You tied a cord around a small wooden cone shaped toy and 'whipped' it round quite a knack.

I also remember the skills of playing two balls 'one a oner, two a twoer'.

Then there was another ball game where you put the ball in an old nylon stocking, stood with your back to the wall and hit it up and down with a number of variations.

under right leg

under left leg

splitsies

One a onea, two a twoa, 3 a three a and so on....

or

Archiebald, bald, bald, the king of the jew, jew, jews bought his wife, wife, wife a pair of shoes, shoes, shoes. When the shoes, shoes, shoes began to wear, wear, wear. The king of jews began to swear, swear, swear. This is one rhyme I can mind. Another was , My maws a millionaire, blue eyes and curly hair, would you believe it, she is sitting among the eskimoes, playing a game of dominoes. My maw's a milionaire

I don't know anything about 'dabs' but remember the peeries. You tied a cord around a small wooden cone shaped toy and 'whipped' it round quite a knack.

I also remember the skills of playing two balls 'one a oner, two a twoer'.

Then there was another ball game where you put the ball in an old nylon stocking, stood with your back to the wall and hit it up and down with a number of variations.

I just remembered a song and edited above while you were replying :D

I also remember the rubber ball in the old nylons LOL it sounds quite tribal -well it was in Possil :)

Chinese ropes !! Elastic bands knotted together in a long circle and then 2 people stood inside, opposite each other and stretched it out and we performed intricate kind of steps, weaving the elastic with our ankles and then jumped clear and landed back in the space in the middle again. Wow, how nimble and light on my feet I must have been once :)

we that is our street smile.gif called it consequences too

Does anyone remember the technique of throwing ba's on the wa's? smile.gif

under right leg

under left leg

splitsies

throw up (the ball) rolleyes.gif and catch

was it "One two three o leerie.."

You're oot! You missed wan. tongue.gif

Plain

Under right leg

Under left leg

Through the middle

Right backie

Left backie

One handed

Sheesh, I canne remember any of the songs. sad.gif

I think we called it consequences ...

YEAH! I have been wondering since I read the post mentioning it, and I *think* that was its name. It might have had another one too. But I would never have remembered any name for it apart from "that thing you do with folding paper .... etc", had a name not been mentioned. laugh.gif

we that is our street :lol: called it consequences too

What were "dabs" ?? just a name that came to mind and peeries????...

I think of "dabs" as being sort of temporary tattoos. A papery thing possibly with a bit of plasticy film - not sure - shove it on your arm or whatever, make it all wet and press it on, and lo and behold, you get to have a tattoo. Well, more likely a smudgy blurry mess, IIRC.biggrin.gif

Peeries? Isn't that the the game with a spinning top and a wee whip? Not that I am old enough to remember it, oh no!

Edited to add: I now think that what I said about "dabs" might be all wrong and the things might have been called "dabbities". Still, they might both have been the same thing.

Oh no! There were sherbet dabs too, but they weren't a game, or at least not *intended* to be a game of making a mess. :)

Edited by Hamsterbert

YEAH! I have been wondering since I read the post mentioning it, and I *think* that was its name. It might have had another one too. But I would never have remembered any name for it apart from "that thing you do with folding paper .... etc", had a name not been mentioned. laugh.gif

I think of "dabs" as being sort of temporary tattoos. A papery thing possibly with a bit of plasticy film - not sure - shove it on your arm or whatever, make it all wet and press it on, and lo and behold, you get to have a tattoo. Well, more likely a smudgy blurry mess, IIRC.biggrin.gif

Peeries? Isn't that the the game with a spinning top and a wee whip? Not that I am old enough to remember it, oh no!

Dabs, Paper tattoos, I think that was our name for them. Did you get them with bubble gum? I don't remember playing with or seeing peeries played but have visited Scotland St. museum and so know what they are. What about the YoYo, I vividly remember being totally fascinated by a man going about our area demonstrating the YoYO and the various tricks n manouvres that could be achieved with a flick of the wrist. "walking the dog" was one. Sadly, despite many attempts over the years, I still can't really work a YoYo to any great effect :lol:

Anyone remember the Klackers that were popular in the 70's. Hard, really hard balls on a string which you used similir to the tennis ball in a stocking game I had played iirc. My girl had them, will need to ask her but they were lethal !! Health n safety MUST have banned them.

:lol: I'm not too hot at remembering names, even people's, hambsterbert.

That sounds about right. :)

I obviously am because I described it just the same as you, well more or less. In fact, I've now got a yen to give it a go but our hoose is peerieless. :)

Edited to add: I now think that what I said about "dabs" might be all wrong and the things might have been called "dabbities". Still, they might both have been the same thing.

Oh no! There were sherbet dabs too, but they weren't a game, or at least not *intended* to be a game of making a mess. :)

Dabbities is a nice wee word, but never heard of it before.

Dabs, Paper tattoos, I think that was our name for them. Did you get them with bubble gum?... :lol:

Aha, yes, I think they did come with bubble gum. That explains why, when thinking of them, I had this vague guilty feeling that they were things I wasn't meant to have. :) Funny how things stick with you. laugh.gif

Anyone remember the Klackers that were popular in the 70's. Hard, really hard balls on a string...

Yep. Scary things!

:lol: I'm not too hot at remembering names, even people's, hambsterbert.

That sounds about right. :)

I obviously am because I described it just the same as you, well more or less. In fact, I've now got a yen to give it a go but our hoose is peerieless. :)

Dabbities is a nice wee word, but never heard of it before.

I have heard folk talking about "dabbities" and I really do think they are the same as "dabs" or the "paper tattoos" that I remember which I can actually visualise coming "free" wrapped around a pink rectangular "bubble gum". Don't remember the name though. Double bubble ?

Now it's all getting complimicated :)

Dabs were the paper tattoos

Sherbet dabs were the sherbet fountains

Harper I forgot the one handed one your right

I remember singing a song about the war?? whilst throwing the ba's on the wa'

"something something laying dying saying these words...

Bless my home in Bonnie Scotland

Bless my wife and only child

Bless the men who fought this war"

weren't we very earnest kids? :))mind you the energy and the imagination was top notch.

What about running into the middens and retrieving a dirty half opened tin of beans leaving it lying in the middle of the road and all hiding and then the first back would ...altogether :lol:

"Kick the Can"

:) what diseases what dangers :)

Now it's all getting complimicated :)

Dabs were the paper tattoos

Sherbet dabs were the sherbet fountains

Harper I forgot the one handed one your right

I remember singing a song about the war?? whilst throwing the ba's on the wa'

"something something laying dying saying these words...

Bless my home in Bonnie Scotland

Bless my wife and only child

Bless the men who fought this war"

weren't we very earnest kids? :))mind you the energy and the imagination was top notch.

What about running into the middens and retrieving a dirty half opened tin of beans leaving it lying in the middle of the road and all hiding and then the first back would ...altogether :)

"Kick the Can"

:) what diseases what dangers :)

:lol: Kick the Can, yeah, remember that one okay, IonaW, and another one along similar lines. I think the right name would have been 'Release' but we called it 'Raleez'. I can't remember the exact rules but certainly involved a lot of running about and yelling.

:lol: ah yes

and what about

Bee baw babbity babbity babbity

bee baw babbity something something a wee lassie

never mind all the running about and imagination we were all well versed in singing and rhythm making too :)

:) ah yes

and what about

bee baw babbity something something a wee lassie

never mind all the running about and imagination we were all well versed in singing and rhythm making too :)

Here you go, IonaW,

bee baw babbity I'd rather hae a wee lassie (or lawdie)

_____

Katie Beardie had a coo,

It was yellow, black and blue

Open the gate and let it through

Dance Katie Beardie

There was another version:

Granny Walker had a coo,

It was yellow, blakc and blue

Aw the monkeys in the Zoo

Laughed at Granny Walker's coo

The peerie heels popped into my head as well, harper. :lol:

Here you go, IonaW,

bee baw babbity I'd rather hae a wee lassie (or lawdie)

_____

Katie Beardie had a coo,

It was yellow, black and blue

Open the gate and let it through

Dance Katie Beardie

There was another version:

Granny Walker had a coo,

It was yellow, blakc and blue

Aw the monkeys in the Zoo

Laughed at Granny Walker's coo

The peerie heels popped into my head as well, harper. laugh.gif

No that reminds me of a great poem by Ann Marie Duffy.

Something about a big stamash, peerie heels and a Miss Garthamlock sash. Doh! I'm gonnae have to have a rummage noo. I'm taking it that peerie heels are stilettos?

So, young ins - what are the weans chanting' in the playgrounds now?

I wonder for how many generations games were past down. It seems a shame that so many childhood games will be lost, in particular the street games.

This website talks about many of the games we've mentioned.

http://www.link4life.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=c.showPage&pageID=298

It gives a very good description of the variations of 'ropes'

Girls skipped with ropes - sometimes alone and sometimes with a longer rope, 'turned' by two girls so that others could skip in the middle. There were 'in & out' skipping games, where children ran into a turned rope, jumped once or twice then ran out again, giving the next person their turn. Then there was 'pepper' with the rope turned very fast so that one jump traversed two spins of the rope. All were accompanied by rhymes, eg. "Salt , vinegar, mustard, pepper," this last word being the signal for the quicker turning of the rope. Another variation was for one person to hold one end of the rope and spin around with it flaring out. Other children jumped over the spinning rope - more difficult than it sounds, as it could get tangled around the legs. Another rope game often played by both boys & girls, was 'Higher & Higher' - where the rope is held still and the children jump over it. The rope would begin very low and slack, and as it was raised would naturally become more taut. It was a game that even the youngest children could take part in at the start.

Mind you no mention of double jumps. :lol:

Skipping rhymes included the following:

"Do you know last night and the night before,

Three tom-cats came knocking at my door,

One had a fiddle, one had a drum

And one had a pan-cake sticking to its bum."

It also talks about 'hop-scotch', which we called beds or peever. Anybody remember playing it?

I wonder for how many generations games were past down. It seems a shame that so many childhood games will be lost, in particular the street games.

This website talks about many of the games we've mentioned.

http://www.link4life.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=c.showPage&pageID=298

It gives a very good description of the variations of 'ropes'

Mind you no mention of double jumps. :lol:

Skipping rhymes included the following:

"Do you know last night and the night before,

Three tom-cats came knocking at my door,

One had a fiddle, one had a drum

And one had a pan-cake sticking to its bum."

It also talks about 'hop-scotch', which we called beds or peever. Anybody remember playing it?

I remember peever, very well. An old shoe polish tin filled wi wee stones was best but a flat stone would do. The bed could be oblong or "aeroplane" shaped. Just a few years ago, a neighbour complained to the Housing Association about my friend's girl and her wee pals cos they had chalked out beds on the pavement in front of her newish house.The neighbour seen it as vandalism and defacing the area ! It was chalk !! Rain, which we get plenty of washes it away.

I remember peever, very well.

Taken the other day in a school yard in Dennistoun:

IMG_9525.jpg

Shortly afterwards I bumped into a gentleman who was gazing at buildings in the area, we got to talking, turned out he was Ian R. Mitchell, that man has enthusiasim, btw. :lol:

Great photo, HH. I'm laughing at the idea of you and Ian having a blether. You likely stood for two hoors nae brollies. :lol:

He certainly is enthusiastic and very knowledgeable.

http://www.glasgowwestend.co.uk/people/Ianmitch.html

Here's his feature on Dennistoun.

http://www.glasgowwestend.co.uk/people/nomeanstreets.php

Hingmie, how ridiculous. Vandalism! What an attitude.