Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End

What's On the Tele

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been watching Marchlands too. I think there have been 3 episodes so far. Very cleverly done and switching from one era to another quite quickly seems to work very well. It woukld be good to see some less cliched forms of haunting though. Messages in condensation, taps turning on and off - nothing new there. It needs to crank up the tension and/or horror a lot more I think.

Been watching Marchlands too. I think there have been 3 episodes so far. Very cleverly done and switching from one era to another quite quickly seems to work very well. It woukld be good to see some less cliched forms of haunting though. Messages in condensation, taps turning on and off - nothing new there. It needs to crank up the tension and/or horror a lot more I think.

I think the switching is really well done too the storyline of each period and the characters are strong enough to stand on their own. I thought the creepiest bit last night was in the boys (1980's) bedroom although I agree it could be creepier it wins for me on intrigue more than scary - not sure what the connection is btw the deaf woman and the storyline although I have kinda guessed the end :lol:

I think the switching is really well done too the storyline of each period and the characters are strong enough to stand on their own. I thought the creepiest bit last night was in the boys (1980's) bedroom although I agree it could be creepier it wins for me on intrigue more than scary - not sure what the connection is btw the deaf woman and the storyline although I have kinda guessed the end :lol:

Sounds right up your street, IonaW.

Now if it's scary you're after then Alien is on tonight. :)

The Big Fat Gypsy Wedding documentaries it's been very interesting to find out more about this particular culture; full of contradictions.

Courtships are very innocent for this day and age and weddings are ultra flamboyant. There are lots of revealing clothes worn by the young girls, whilst the women, at least married women, see their place as very much in the home rather than the workplace.

The travelers, who don't all travel these days, also seem to face a helluva lot of prejudice.

I can't make up my mind about this programme. I am sadden and appalled at the lack of ambition or awareness on the part of these young women and the complete chauvinism of the men. Colluding to keep people ignorant can't be justified as a legitimate part any any culture in this day and age, IMV and I feel that much of what is being screened has got to be a gross distortion. The contradictions are startling and I need to keep reminding myself how very young these kids are when they are lobbin' bits of wedding cake at each other.

I can't make up my mind about this programme. I am sadden and appalled at the lack of ambition or awareness on the part of these young women and the complete chauvinism of the men.

There appears to be a lot of acceptance that when the women marry they give up work, and even their friendships, but listening to some of them they appear to be aware of the need for their children to have an education that was denied them.

Colluding to keep people ignorant can't be justified as a legitimate part any any culture in this day and age, IMV and I feel that much of what is being screened has got to be a gross distortion. The contradictions are startling and I need to keep reminding myself how very young these kids are when they are lobbin' bits of wedding cake at each other.

I saw an interview about the programme and the spokesperson for the gypsies was asked if the documentary was a true reflection and he answered that of course it was true but it did not show the whole picture.

One point he made was that questions were constantly asked about where the money came from for the ostentatious weddings and his view was that this question would not be asked of other people, who also splashed out for weddings.

Many of the men in the programme chose to keep their identities secret as if it was known that they were gypsies then this could damage their businesses.

There appears to be a lot of acceptance that when the women marry they give up work, and even their friendships, but listening to some of them they appear to be aware of the need for their children to have an education that was denied them.

I saw an interview about the programme and the spokesperson for the gypsies was asked if the documentary was a true reflection and he answered that of course it was true but it did not show the whole picture.

One point he made was that questions were constantly asked about where the money came from for the ostentatious weddings and his view was that this question would not be asked of other people, who also splashed out for weddings.

Many of the men in the programme chose to keep their identities secret as if it was known that they were gypsies then this could damage their businesses.

Agreed, it is only one aspect of travellers' lives. I haven't seen all the episodes so must have missed the bit about future education. Either that or I was so bedazzled by the frocks and fake tan that I missed it. Where the hell do they they kee these dreses after the event? They are humungous! laugh.gif

Agreed, it is only one aspect of travellers' lives. I haven't seen all the episodes so must have missed the bit about future education. Either that or I was so bedazzled by the frocks and fake tan that I missed it. Where the hell do they they kee these dreses after the event? They are humungous! laugh.gif

Heaven knows and don't know if they'll manage to polish off the enormous wedding cakes.

The dresses are astonishing - some of the brides can hardly walk. The most remarkable was the dress that lit up -a bit of a highlight for the first dance. The mammy brought the fire extinquisher in case there was an emergency. :)

Heaven knows and don't know if they'll manage to polish off the enormous wedding cakes.

The dresses are astonishing - some of the brides can hardly walk. The most remarkable was the dress that lit up -a bit of a highlight for the first dance. The mammy brought the fire extinquisher in case there was an emergency. :)

BBC1 9pm tonight: 1/3 South Riding. Feisty women, real Yorkshiremen and the uber sexy Douglas Henshall. Good stuff.

Wish I had noticed your post earlier, harper. I've just been moaning about how rotten the box is tonight. :)

I hate laptops. I have quite a powerful laptop with lots of memory but the keyboard is letting me down. Some of the keys I have to bash to print. It's only about 2 years old. Grrrrrrrrrr

You need to get a MacBook. :)