Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End

Scottish Independence ...

The argy bargy may well continue, along with the sabotage but Alex Salmond has only himself to blame on this one. His dithering and back tracking over the referendum has allowed scaremongering to contunue and now more besides.

For goodness sake, how long does it take to ask a question?

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The argy bargy may well continue, along with the sabotage but Alex Salmond has only himself to blame on this one. His dithering and back tracking over the referendum has allowed scaremongering to contunue and now more besides.

For goodness sake, how long does it take to ask a question?

Salmond has played this one perfectly as his near whitewash at the last elections proved. We have had scaremongering and our people fed lies and more lies for decades, why should it be any different now? The fact is Salmond is succeeding as is ably demonstrated by the shrillness of the Unionists; dear Gawd were they really threatening to take away all those defence jobs :lol: . The SNP are setting the agenda and will choose the moment. More power to their elbow.

I am perplexed, how can you be a member of the SNP and now be advocating a retention of the union through devomax?

You know I am no advocate of Devo-Max, Sam but at this stage, it seems more clearly defined, IMV.

Salmond has not played this perfectly, Sam. Given the support for the SNP at the election he could easily have called a referendum this year, with our without Devo-Max. As it stands, who knows what he will be saying, or proposing, in four years and all the while, the Westminster Government will be galvanising their strategy to sabotage the issue, or impose conditions.

As for decades of Unions scaremongering, what is the sense in giving them another four years to continue, when the SNP hold the largest majority in their history? The people are on the side of the SNP right now, Sam, right now!

Hostilities appear to be escalating.

John Swinney has launched an "unprecedented attack" on George Osborne, where he accuses the Chancellor of “sabotaging” inward investment to Scotland.

Swinney claims that "Mr Osborne is running scared of internal Conservative criticism from the north of England and jealous of Scotland’s achievements in attracting new business."

The claim was rejected by the Treasury as “ridiculous”. Is it?

There's to be a debate in Holyrood on 30th November.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/politics/swinney-hits-out-1.1135073

Hostilities appear to be escalating.

John Swinney has launched an "unprecedented attack" on George Osborne, where he accuses the Chancellor of “sabotaging” inward investment to Scotland.

Swinney claims that "Mr Osborne is running scared of internal Conservative criticism from the north of England and jealous of Scotland’s achievements in attracting new business."

The claim was rejected by the Treasury as “ridiculous”. Is it?

There's to be a debate in Holyrood on 30th November.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/politics/swinney-hits-out-1.1135073

Some distateful stuff going on. I think the Treasury are putting the boot in. They would not want to loose the oil. You cant really blame them. I agree with Harper's point. Salmond should have acted before now. A good politician knows when to choose there moment. I hope that his has not passed him by.

I think Alex Salmond is in danger of missing the moment, rory. Personally, I think he should bring it on! I don't think the SNP should give Westminster four more years to build a strategy against independence. Westminster placed conditions on the 1979 referendum and they will do it again. Their stated intent is to resist Scotland splitting away from the Union. Regardless of Alex Salmond's preferred timing, it seems to me that the fight has started.

PS: For those of us who voted YES in 1979 it's been a long wait... :rolleyes:

I think Alex Salmond is in danger of missing the moment, rory. Personally, I think he should bring it on! I don't think the SNP should give Westminster four more years to build a strategy against independence. Westminster placed conditions on the 1979 referendum and they will do it again. Their stated intent is to resist Scotland splitting away from the Union. Regardless of Alex Salmond's preferred timing, it seems to me that the fight has started.

PS: For those of us who voted YES in 1979 it's been a long wait... :rolleyes:

No they won't, Westminster knows the game is up. Do you really think in the lifetime of this parliament that Westminster is going to be able to make Scots feel better about this union? If you do, you have little comprehension of the financial position.

Sorry, missed this ... Yes.

We are lucky in that the separate legal frameworks already exist, a separate civil service already exists and indeed a separate legislature already exists, we therefore have no need to build one of the pillars of the state. Dissolution of the Union will require an act of parliament, that act of parliament will I suspect set out what shared resources if any will exist, e.g. Embassies, armed forces, position of the Queen, etc. Undoubtedly at midnight on some chosen day a lone bugler will play the last post as the Flag of the Union is lowered or someone's sword is broken, etc. I wouldn't be overly concerned about the mechanics, the UK has had ample experience uncoupling stuff as empire has receded.

• 2 weeks later...

It's certainly good to see some attention being paid to our young people.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/politics/salmond-to-appoint-a-new-youth-employment-minister-1.1137788

Today's Herald reports that:

"The latest Scottish Social Attitudes Survey shows a tide running with the arguments of the SNP administration at Holyrood, with general support for the scenario hitting a six-year high of 32%, nine points up on last year’s level."

Your good work's paying off, samsc. :)

"The latest Scottish Social Attitudes Survey shows a tide running with the arguments of the SNP administration at Holyrood, with general support for the scenario hitting a six-year high of 32%, nine points up on last year’s level."

And more importantly, if it could be shown that independence would make you £500 a year better off the number favouring independence rose to 65%. The tipping point is nearing.

"The latest Scottish Social Attitudes Survey shows a tide running with the arguments of the SNP administration at Holyrood, with general support for the scenario hitting a six-year high of 32%, nine points up on last year's level."

Given the state of this Government it would be more surprising if there wasn't an increase.

There will be no living with him now, Pat. :rolleyes: Next he'll be telling me "I told you so." :P

Given the state of this Government it would be more surprising if there wasn't an increase.

There will be no living with him now, Pat. :rolleyes: Next he'll be telling me "I told you so." :P

I think that the SNP are doing some good things and pleased to see them putting a youth minister in place. We are losing a generation of our young people. I think that Salmond should speak out more about the worse policies coming from Holyrood because they stink.

I would vote SNP now just because Westminster are so dire but I would prefer to be voting because I think that our Scottish government is great.

And more importantly, if it could be shown that independence would make you £500 a year better off the number favouring independence rose to 65%. The tipping point is nearing.

Good, get the figures in then....

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2011/12/05/scottish-voters-united-kingdom_n_1128867.html

Salmond is calling for a chat about how Cameron's European shenanigans might effect Scotland?

He has accused Cameron of "blundering" into altering the UK's relationship with the EU.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-16136022

Bought and paid for Government

• 4 weeks later...

Nicola is not happy with what she sees as Cameron's interference in the referendum issue. He insists that he is not attempting to 'dictate' the terms of the referendum but sources have reported that Westminster may set an 18 month limit on holding the poll and may insist on a yes or no vote for independence.

If this is the case then it's rather different from what Salmond has been planning.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-16463961

Nicola is not happy with what she sees as Cameron's interference in the referendum issue. He insists that he is not attempting to 'dictate' the terms of the referendum but sources have reported that Westminster may set an 18 month limit on holding the poll and may insist on a yes or no vote for independence.

If this is the case then it's rather different from what Salmond has been planning.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-16463961

Looks to me Cameron has just wandered into a big SNP bear trap. Now, beware perfidious Albion.

Looks to me Cameron has just wandered into a big SNP bear trap. Now, beware perfidious Albion.

Oh, that clever Mr. Cameron being a bit silly? Ach, heaven forfend. The very thought! biggrin.gif As if! It is because, of course, we are all going to be feeling happily and easily fooled in the "afterglow" of Great Events. So that's us tellt then.

... Ministers in Mr Cameron's Coalition hope that an earlier vote would enable campaigning for a referendum to take place in the afterglow of the Queen's diamond jubilee celebrations and the London 2012 Olympic Games....

http://www.independe...ar-6286985.html

Unwise though it may be to make predictions, I think those events will not give me any glow at all, and I doubt I'll be alone in that. I don't recall feeling especially glowing the last time the queen had some kind of jubilee, and the London Oversized Expensive Sports Day will not cause me much joy and warm feeling. Indeed, even most London residents, having to put up with the whole thing (whereas the rest of us only have to put up with subsidising it) will be a bit cheesed off with the whole thing, I am sure.

Nope, "call-me-Dave" has called it wrong, I think. But I think it's good, 'cos I wanted a wee bit of a relaxing laugh today. Ta much, Daftie Davie. biggrin.gif