Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End

Scottish Independence ...

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The treachery of the Labour Party won't be forgotten. Let the Glasgow folk down badly. I've joined SNP and my three cousins, my father and the sixteen and seventeen year olds in our family. Scunnered.

A lot of people feel the same way, CL.

Anybody else wondering why UKIP are getting so much television time?

Was at the George Square Foodbank collection today, thousands of donations from ordinary people. Such a shame that it nearly didn't happen because the coonsul/police tried to charge the food bank people £1500 to 'rent out' George Square.

How low can these people slink.

Thousands of people also attended an independence rally outside the Scottish Parliament today.

fantastic letter in one of the Sundays

There's something to the "five stages of grief" observation. I feel it, and I see it in many of my friends. Our dream of having a country of our own, a country where we could prevent fracking, and new nuclear power stations, and preserve the NHS as a public body, and remove WMDs from our soil, and tackle child poverty and urban deprivation, and give our elderly better pensions, and not destroy lives in the Middle East, that has been shattered.

By the Labour party, acting as the loyal lieutenants of the Conservative party.

The Edinburgh agreement was trashed. Cameron refused to debate with Salmond, but hawked himself around foreign governments and celebrities and banks and big business, desperate to recruit as many talking heads as possible to threaten Scotland with destruction or schmooze it to bits, depending. The BBC was happy to amplify any scare story, or positive snippet for the No campaign, but refused to give any publicity to good news for Yes, even going so far as to refuse to report people complaining they'd been misquoted.

For months, I felt like a victim of domestic abuse. I was being metaphorically battered by what was coming over the airwaves. In the last two weeks it was like being on the wrong end of a seal clubbing. And still the opinion polls crept upwards for Yes. I remarked that if Scotland did vote Yes in the face of the barrage of terror, it would be an act of extraordinary bravery. I think that was about the time we were being told queues would be forming at the banks as people rushed to withdraw all their money, if a Yes was announced on the 19th.

It took the ultimate lie, to swing the vote to No. The fabled devo-max, which Cameron refused to allow on the ballot paper, was resurrected. Sort of. By this time, nobody seemed to remember the torrents of scorn heaped on that idea two years ago. Salmond's consolation prize, they called it. He mustn't have it. Losers should lose.

That seemed to be forgotten. Suddenly, No meant devo-max! Or did it? The No campaign's loyal BBC acolytes dutifully called it that and said we were assured of it. The politicians' words varied. One minute we'd almost have federalism, then perhaps it was only a timetable to implement the minimal powers already in the pipeline.

Whatever it was, it worked. Postal voters started saying they'd have voted No if they'd known that would bring dev-max. An electorate battered by years of scare stories, capitulated. Or a few hundred thousand of them did, anyway.

In the end, the young and middle-aged voted Yes regardless. The No majority was swung by the scared elderly, many of whom had been told that their state pensions would stop if there was a Yes majority. (Did any news outlet ever report that this was a categoical lie?) But we lost our country nevertheless.

And within a few days we find that fracking will go ahead under our homes, and the NHS is under threat after all, and mortgages will rise in any case, and we're going to war in the Middle East, and devo-max - we can whistle for it.

So is it any wonder some people really do feel genuine grief? And what do Labour supporters do? They jeer.

But we know we've lost a battle, not the war. The big dark pit of despair turned out to have a trampoline on the bottom of it.

If anyone heard Osborne's speech you will see the horror that is coming down the line for the poor and the public sector/services

Everything that YES warned is coming true in full blown technicolour

I wonder what that man on the telly will have to say about this, I wonder if Paul and the Kids will be okay when we lose our jobs

My God those policies Osborne is putting forward aren't looking good – particularly not for the worse off.

The Joseph Rowntree Foundation gives him a wee lesson on how to improve the economy: http://www.jrf.org.uk/media-centre/jrf-response-george-osbornes-tougher-times-await-families-poverty-6584

will be interesting to see the result of the UK GE in 2015

It will. I think there will be a number of Tory defectors to Ukip and probably some Labour supporters will move in that direction but I reckon a lot of people in England just won't vote. In Scotland it looks like there will be a lot more SNP at Westminster, although, Ruth Davidson can't see it. She thinks the Tories are growing in popularity in Scotland?

membership of the SNP now in excess of 100,000. Membership of the Greens and SSP have doubled.

Meanwhile that Better Together dream result of a Tory/UKIP coalition takes a step forward as the tories take the lead in the opinion polls.

membership of the SNP now in excess of 100,000. Membership of the Greens and SSP have doubled.

Meanwhile that Better Together dream result of a Tory/UKIP coalition takes a step forward as the tories take the lead in the opinion polls.

Scary stuff. England seems like a different world and so separated from Scotland in its political thinking. Instead of progress there seems to be a huge lurch backwards to unenlightened thinking and Dickension policies.

What do folk make of the bid to ditch EU Human Rights legislation?

Its madness but its amazing the way the Daily Mail has done its best to convince people that the Human Rights Act is a bad thing.

Meanwhile, a minister admits the NHS is under serious threat due to its inclusion in the TTIP negotiations (labour in Scotland claimed this was all a lie at the same time as labour in England was warning everyone about it).

Three times they had to change the venue for the Women for Independence gathering due to the numbers turning up

SNP and Greens political meetings are having to be either cancelled on H&S grounds or rushed to other larger venues to meet the demand.

Maybe, just maybe, this grass roots movement has taken a good grip

Three times they had to change the venue for the Women for Independence gathering due to the numbers turning up

SNP and Greens political meetings are having to be either cancelled on H&S grounds or rushed to other larger venues to meet the demand.

Maybe, just maybe, this grass roots movement has taken a good grip

It's definitely taken a good grip, samsc. New pro-Independence newspapers appearing and party planned for Freedom (George) Square which has already 1200 signed up to attend.

Scotland, a country governed by women - now that does have a nice ring to it.

Will be interesting watching the battle for second in command. Angela Constance has entered the fray. http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/scottish-politics/constance-id-aim-to-end-special-privileges-of-snp-parliamentarians.1412494124?utm_source=headlines&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=email%2Balert