Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
harper

Scottish Independence ...

By volume more bets have been placed on Scotland to vote YES. The odds are skewed because of several huge bets placed in London. London still working your strings Dex.

I really enjoyed this article by Tom Devine and think he makes some very good points. He's obviously deliberated carefully before coming out as a Yes voter: "

It is the Scots who have succeeded most in preserving the British idea of fairness and compassion in terms of state support and intervention. Ironically, it is England, since the 1980s, which has embarked on a separate journey."

He's also very upbeat on the economy: ""We have a resilient economic system and reserves of one of the most important things for an independent estate: power, power through the assets of oil and also through the potential of wind energy. In this, Scotland is disproportionately endowed compared to almost all other European countries." http://www.theguardian.com/.../scottish-independence-tom...

Yes 48% No 52%: record high for indy in 'breakthrough' poll

This looks promising. Prof Curtice says that Better Together should be worried and that they need to use different tactics and show more sensitivity in their understanding of the Scottish psyche.

I think he's right. Nobody likes being told that they are useless and that they're not getting this and not getting that. http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-news/yes-48-no-52-breakthrough-poll-has-yes-at-record-high.24488719

Very pro Independence in Clydebank and I think Jim Murphy got a hard time yesterday when he was telling the crowd that Scottish Parliament had been worse for shipbuilding on the Clyde than Maggie Thatcher.

Their laughter drowned him out. What a silly man.

By volume more bets have been placed on Scotland to vote YES. The odds are skewed because of several huge bets placed in London. London still working your strings Dex.

it was reported region by region last week that most bets nearly everywhere where going to the yes side.

now ow many people would bet on a yes then vote no?.....none id imagine.

even if you did bet no it would be totally pointless unless you stuck a couple of thousand on it as the odds are so low.....

wonder how much of his giro dexy stuck on it haha

BLUNDERING axeman Danny Alexander let slip yesterday that half-a-million jobs will go under Con-Dem plans to slash the public sector.

The figure was revealed in a dossier lying open on the minister's lap as he drove into the Treasury.

Up to 50,000 of the jobs will disappear from Scotland - one in 10 public sector jobs north of the Border.

Thousands of teachers, nurses, health and council staff will be ordered to take pay cuts under the plans to be announced today.

They will be told to work fewer hours if they want to keep their jobs.

Alexander, the Chief Secretary to the Treasury, accidentally gave away the full impact of the £83billion cuts a day early.

He was photographed with a briefing paper on the Comprehensive Spending Review on his lap.

Hope they won't get the chance, samsc.

At last all is revealed by an apolitical think tank.

There is a lot of activity in the North Sea and guess what - they'll probably be sacking those Better Together think tanks who've been saying the oil is running out. More excellent news for those worrying about the economy.

We've also got 25% of Europe's wind power. I think the future is looking good. "http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/uk_news/scotland/article1447959.ece?CMP=OTH-gnws-standard-2014_08_17

Two more polls showing the YES vote strengthening. One other poll showing two thirds of Scots don't believe Better Together scare stories on the EU.

Meanwhile, the Financial Times reports that US banks with operations in the UK are drawing up plans to exit the UK should it decide to leave the EU. What an opportunity that would be for an independent Scotland still committed to the EU to have those European HQs come North rather than over the sea to Dublin.

Read that the historian Devine has come out as a Yes man. Took his time. Always chasing attention. Still I think this will impress some people. Hope so. Think it was in The Guardian. I'm in the library so haven't got the link.

There's been a real sense of the tide turning. I've had numerous people in work who have all said 6 months ago they were confirmed NOs but in the past week or so have found themselves now ready to vote YES.

I have loads of English friends who say if they were Scots they would vote YES, too. The Tories have wrecked this country and UKIP are a very real and depressing threat in the South.

i think you have to have been residing here for 2 years to get a vote

dont want to be advocating electoral fraud now :blink:

:lol:

Another survey result in today's Herald. There will be revenge if it's a No vote. Apparently, 70% of the English population will be braying for savage cuts to the Scottish budget.

No residency period at all, tigs. If I moved back this week and Scotland is my main residence, I can register by midnight, September 2nd.

Now, who's got a spare room for me and the cat?

What surprises you in particular, harper. This was also expressed in The Herald: "However, in a blow to the Better Together campaign, the survey also shows that English people would be in favour of the UK Government taking a much tougher stance on Scotland if it decides to say in the Union."

I really doubt we would be given greater powers. If it was a No vote and Farage got anywhere I think the Scottish Parliament would vanish.

I am getting concerned about the reported English resentment - if it's true. I also think Westminster and really squaring up to put the SNP in their place. I think England is just waking up to the fact that this is real and that this is serious. I think there is going to be a real backlash if it is a NO vote.

I doubt Farage will have much impact but any impact is too much for me. It was reported at the weekend that Boris Johnson has said that there would be no increased powers for Scotland, although I didn't actually read the original piece of reporting.

Yes, saw that about Boris, harper. It was all over the social media. He was advocating more powers for the larger English cities.

I doubt most English people have been bothering about the Referendum but the press love to stir things up. It's usually portrayed that Scots are not paying their way so you can understand why resentments could arise.

I don't think there will be anymore powers. Substantial cuts have already been declared by all parties. Labour should be hanging their head in shame.

Looks as though now that the currency questions seems to have been less effective than BT would have liked that they are now using oil, or the lack of it, as their next tactic.

Sir Ian Woods on the telly last night accusing the Scottish Government of overestimating the amount of oil in the North Sea. The figure in the White Paper is given at 24 bn barrels - the same figure as Woods identified in his review in April, He's now saying that there's only 16.5 bn. So clearly some of it has vanished over the past few months.

I don't know what his game is, although, he is pals with Cameron, and supposedly another tax avoidance culprit.

Other experts say the figure has been vastly underestimated. It was certainly well underestimated back in '79.