Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
harper

Scottish Independence ...

Looking more and more that if you wish to remain in the EU you need to vote YES

http://www.channel5.com/shows/5-news/features-archived/eu-referendum-poll-majority-of-brits-would-vote-to-leave-tomorrow

I don't think it's a good idea at all. I think it is important for commerce to be part of the union and I there would be a lot less support for issues relating to human rights.

I was reading a bit about Scots Whiskey and all the potential problems the industry might encounter if we leave the rest of the UK. Apparently the industry is worth some £4 billion annually, with over £1 billion going into the Treasure. The brand Scotch Whisky is protected under EU law so there is a concern that Scotland will be part of the EC.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/475340/Yes-vote-is-threat-to-4bn-Scotch-whisky-industry

absolute nonsense from the Express, the entire story is based on leaving the UK and not being part of the EU. Its complete nonsense.

The London Evening Standard covers last night's debate at the Guildhall. I went a long to see what was what and found the whole thing fascinating and a little depressing.

Michelle Thompson and Stewart Howsie were very impressive, while Helena Kennedy and Danny Alexander talked about future changes but with nothing concrete on the table. The Tory MP was just annoying and prompted one man in the audience to say England would miss Scottish country dancing. I was one of the very few people who felt that Scotland and London would happily continue as before and therefore supported the YES vote. I could happily have written the whole thing off as a pointless exercise, until I realised that many of the audience had homes in Scotland, as well as England and that they will have a say, come September.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/scottish-independence-england-should-send-scotland-a-love-letter-to-save-our-marriage-9576568.html

absolute nonsense from the Express, the entire story is based on leaving the UK and not being part of the EU. Its complete nonsense.

Samsc, the point is that if it is important to the whisky industry to be part of the UK then it would be in t

rouble if UK withdrew.

The London Evening Standard covers last night's debate at the Guildhall. I went a long to see what was what and found the whole thing fascinating and a little depressing.

Michelle Thompson and Stewart Howsie were very impressive, while Helena Kennedy and Danny Alexander talked about future changes but with nothing concrete on the table. The Tory MP was just annoying and prompted one man in the audience to say England would miss Scottish country dancing. I was one of the very few people who felt that Scotland and London would happily continue as before and therefore supported the YES vote. I could happily have written the whole thing off as a pointless exercise, until I realised that many of the audience had homes in Scotland, as well as England and that they will have a say, come September.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/scottish-independence-england-should-send-scotland-a-love-letter-to-save-our-marriage-9576568.html

I'm not surprised you found it depressing, Harper.

It becomes more and more worrying. I wold love to feel positive that it will be a Yes vote. However, the polls indicate that support for NO is increasing. This may be something to do with the huge propaganda campaign being carried out by the UK Government - with every household receiving an information/propaganda leaflet. It has also been issued to members of the armed forces and the legality of this has been called into question as regulations do not allow political activity.

Into the bargain we have the BBC and media bias.

Only YouGuv polls show the NO vote increasing, the Scotsman actually had ran a story yesterday that showed only a 4% difference, however, when the YOUGUV poll came out it removed the positive YES story and replaced it with the YOUGUV poll. Youguv is the only pollster that refuses to show its workings, however, as someone who is a YouGuv member I can tell you how they poll. They ask how you would vote in a Westminster election and then interpolate from that how many will vote for independence. Staggering!

Forget the polls, just guage how shrill the UK political establishment has become since they spent £75k on a private large scale poll, whose results they refuse to release. You can bet your life, if those results were positive for the NO vote they would have released them.

Just in case you were not quick enough to see the Scotsman's positive poll story before it was pulled and a negative story put up

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/top-stories/scottish-independence-poll-yes-on-brink-of-victory-1-3382125

Yes, I did see it, samsc. Only a 2% shift in the right direction required. I noticed the comments on the 'internal UK migrants', the English born members of the population, who are inclined to vote No because of their feelings of being British.

Seems a pretty selfish stance but it's reckoned they could effect the outcome.

I don't know who Cameron is talking about when he mentions 'the silent majority'. One of the fantastic things about the Referendum has been the politicising of the Scottish people. You just don't come across apathy and whether you agree with them or not, everyone has something to say on the subject.

How can he keep getting it so wrong? I don't know how his patronising comments will be received as he assures people that they can still be patriotic and vote No.

Maybe he doesn't know that it's not all Nationalists who are voting Yes. Most of us are voting for our democratic rights and a fairer, more just society.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/referendum-news/cameron-silent-majority-must-speak-up-for-union.24653265?utm_source=headlines&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=email%2Balert

I don't know who Cameron is talking about when he mentions 'the silent majority'. One of the fantastic things about the Referendum has been the politicising of the Scottish people. You just don't come across apathy and whether you agree with them or not, everyone has something to say on the subject.

How can he keep getting it so wrong? I don't know how his patronising comments will be received as he assures people that they can still be patriotic and vote No.

Maybe he doesn't know that it's not all Nationalists who are voting Yes. Most of us are voting for our democratic rights and a fairer, more just society.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/referendum-news/cameron-silent-majority-must-speak-up-for-union.24653265?utm_source=headlines&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=email%2Balert

It has to be just crazy nationalists Pat, because if they allowed themselves the thought that its ordinary people who just simply want a more equal, more democratic and socially just country then that fills them with terror, because then they know the game is up.

I just watched his visit to Perth on the News. I think he's been for acting lessons but what a spin. He'll be heartbroken if Scotland leaves the UK and he knows that the 'silent majority' are scared to speak out and say No. His aim is to show support for Independence to be coming from noisy, bullying, fanatical Nationalists. But Perth is no longer a Tory stronghold so hopefully folk were onto his tactics.

I think his hair has turned very grey. Seriously.

Yes its nasty nats, yet it was a labour candidate who had to resign at the weekend for describing yes campaigners who have their children on such rallies as akin to a nazi youth rally.

Yes, some daft zealots on either side. I think Cameron was trying to say that the Nats were a small noisy band and the No's were this huge minority who were saying nowt.

The Labour candidate, was it Wiles? Was really crazy putting the offensive image on Facebook. Put paid to her career.

Yes, some daft zealots on either side. I think Cameron was trying to say that the Nats were a small noisy band and the No's were this huge minority who were saying nowt.

The Labour candidate, was it Wiles? Was really crazy putting the offensive image on Facebook. Put paid to her career.

She had a few nasty things to say about immigrants as well

The Scottish NHS will be next, start with a £10 to see your GP, then £20, and eventually creep it up to £50...its to stop frivolous visits to GPs you understand, nothing to do with profits, oh no siree

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/fury-tory-party-donors-handed-3123469#.UzCIeOF01Rk.twitter

Two people were stabbed during the Orange Order march and a 12 year old girl was bottled. I hope Gordom Mathieson is proud of the Labour Party's partnership with the OO to ensure a labour victory at the last council election.

10464158_676197685791575_536551999533113

Very nasty, indeed.

We are all beginning to feel the urgency and importance of the event that is upon Scotland and the UK, as a whole. I have no idea what the result will be but I know that there is no going back. Whatever the outcome, there will be a large percentage of people who will be unhappy but a YES vote still makes more sense, IMV.

"The Orange Order said its march to save the Union on the eve of September's referendum will go ahead despite the violence which marred yesterday's loyalist parade in Glasgow."

But there are definitely signs that they're not better together: Jim Murphy is quoted in The Herald he: "said the Orange Order was an "unsavoury" organisation, adding: "Not for a moment would they be part of the Better Together campaign. They'd be unwelcome."

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-news/orange-order-vows-march-to-save-union-will-go-ahead-after-violence-mars-glasgow-walk.24682752?utm_source=headlines&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=email%2Balert

Somebody need to point out to Jim that they are already part of the campaign.

the OO in NI and some paramilitaries told the scots division to stay clear of the referendum debate as it would turn more against the no vote than for.

now im not a fan of the OO but at least their NI leaders had a point.

Did anyone see Question Time last night?

Dreadful 'business man' who just muttered the same old, same old discredited nonsense.

However, the night was enlightened by a barking mad eccentric, who short of standing up and saluting himself, offered a wonderful oratory on why having children with your sister is not a good idea (his picture is on the link below)

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/BsNsBilIIAAWTnV.jpg#twimg