Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
harper

Scottish Independence ...

"Barack,is there any chance you could do me a favour?Strictly off the record,naturally!"

"Of course David,anything"

"Is there any chance you could come out in favour of Britain" staying together" at your next press conference at the G8?You know,just kind of spontaneously?

"No problem my friend"

"Great,and you know if there's anything at all I can do..any wars you need a hand with.Anything.Just say."

"And I mean that in a Blairsy kinda way."

My thinking was along those lines too, willie.

Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door

I have always said England from Manchester north should join with an independent Scotland. It now seems that bits of London want to join us as well

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/referendum-news/south-east-london-district-could-join-iscotland-after-tourist-board-announc.1402065893

Lesley Riddoch certainly spells it out, samsc. The clearest and most insightful voice in the Referendum Debate.

This comment says it all....

WRH2 2014-06-06 20:53
Please ignore Devo Anything as it won't happen. I voted Yes in 1979 and then watched as Scotland's industry got taken apart by Thatcher. If we vote No we will again get nothing. I don't care what Ruth Davison, Lord Strathclyde or anyone says, we will get a hammering if we are daft enough to vote No. Just vote Yes and build a new country that takes care of itself and decides its own future.

I honestly don't see what choice Scotland has but to vote YES. The state of British politics is abysmal and worsening with each passing day. I had high hopes for Labour and now have great fears at the inroads that UKip is making. It feels as if a significant percentage of the voting population in England has gone stark raving mad....

By this stage Labour should have had a viable case against independence and a robust standing against the Tories come 2015 but it is just not happening. Scotland needs to take this opportunity and run with it. Independence may not deliver everything Scotland wants but the alternative is clear and it is dire.

Lesley Riddoch speaks so much sense. http://newsnetscotland.com/index.php/scottish-opinion/9294-vote-no-for-devo-more-maybe

And then there's Alasdair Gray - extract from his new book: http://www.heraldscotland.com/mobile/comment/columnists/talking-utopian.24400775

"It is easy for governments to spend taxpayers' money on healthcare and education where every citizen is not taxed to pay for big armed forces and nuclear weapon bases, like the UK, the US and China."

I hope people won't be fooled into voting No on the basis that Scotland will be gramted significant new powers. That'll never happen.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/bombshell-daily-record-poll-shows-3678091#.U5jj6bhuFBo.twitter

Daily Record latest Poll shows neck and neck. Interestingly, the poll asked a second question. If you knew David Cameron and the Tories would win the next UK election how would you vote, 54% would favour independence

Aye what if it was him and Farage? Might shoot up. I was scunnered last night watching the news. I felt for the Clydebank lassie who was getting all the abuse until I saw her on the telly. She put herself forward as an 'ordinary' mother. That wasn't the case. So she's relation of Pat Lally, maybe she's happy about that but she does have have a political position. But all this smut and name calling and tit for tatting is enough to drive you nuts.

Anyway I have heard enough. I'm voting Yes. Nothing is going to change that and at least the vote will count for something. No like in a Genral Election when a Scottish vote counts for hee haw.

Aye what if it was him and Farage? Might shoot up. I was scunnered last night watching the news. I felt for the Clydebank lassie who was getting all the abuse until I saw her on the telly. She put herself forward as an 'ordinary' mother. That wasn't the case. So she's relation of Pat Lally, maybe she's happy about that but she does have have a political position. But all this smut and name calling and tit for tatting is enough to drive you nuts.

Anyway I have heard enough. I'm voting Yes. Nothing is going to change that and at least the vote will count for something. No like in a Genral Election when a Scottish vote counts for hee haw.

:lol: 'Might shoot up'? Do you mean the poll result rather than you?

I've listened to the stuchie about the young woman. I knew who she was as she blogs in The Herald and is Carers Champion for her area. She has twins, one of whom is disabled. She has a pretty visible profile and I think she is probably better described as extraordinary rather than ordinary. She is, just the same, entitled to express her support for the No campaign. It's hard lines if she is being attacked by the cyber bullies. Nasty stuff. However, the hints at an orchestrated campaign by SNP in newspapers like The Telegraph are spurious to say the least.

Every section of the media has been against independence, the BBC that so called bastion of neutrality has had a shocking performance barely disguising its bias.

Compare and contrast the media's behaviour with the Largs couple who gave to Yes Scotland and Rowling. The larhs couple were given the third degree by the media.

The BBC particularly irritate me. There is no pretense of an unbiased coverage of the referendum. I enjoyed Ian McWhirter getting tore into John McTernan on Scotland Today the other night.

Kane calls a lot of the thinking into question. I think she is very genuine and she's entitled to spend her dosh as she sees fit. When she says" “It’s because I love this country that I want it to thrive,” I don't know if that means the UK or Scotland. Many are certainly not thriving at the moment.

Better Together campaign ads were filmed at the BBC studios in Pacific Quay, Glasgow. :angry:

Another day of disgraceful BBC behaviour.

Yesterday, on Radio Scotland, this was how the SNP Government's announcement that it had plans to increase manufacturing in Scotland by 30% was reported.

News Announcer: 'Alex Salmond today announced plans for a 30% increase in manufacturing in Scotland'....over to Alistair Darling for his thoughts ...what then followed was a two minute advert for every piece of nonsense Better Together have used to scare people.

Repeat ad nauseum until the message is in the subconscious

Don't think that's right the campaign ads being shot at BBC? Where is the YES campaign shot?

The Herald is also raising some issues regarding the effectiveness of the No campaign. Who have been taking advice from the Canadians regarding the Quebec referendum: Denis Dawson, a major player, has warned them not to 'undermine Scotland'.

'Dawson said he had met Better Together figures over wine during parliament exchanges.

"I told them 'Don't undermine Scotland'," he said. "Scotland could be independent as much as the other 180 countries in the UN. But does it need to be?

"You can't say that Scotland does not have the economic force to be independent. That is the wrong thing to say.

"Nobody can prove an independent Scotland would be more prosperous. But nobody can prove it would be in economic turmoil either."

He went on to say:

"But people like the status quo. So if it ain't broke, don't fix it." [Now there's a question?]

'In recent weeks the UK ­Government has issued stark warnings about the future of the Scottish economy while one prominent Labour ex-minister, George Robertson said independence would be "cataclysmic" for the entire western world.

The pro-UK movement, ­meanwhile, has sought to learn from Canada, recently adopting the slogan No Thanks, thought to have been inspired by Quebec's "Non Merci" of 1995, and studying last-ditch efforts by Anglophones in neighbouring to "lovebomb" the would-be breakaway province.'

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/referendum-news/pro-union-campaign-warned-to-keep-it-positive.24492193

Looks like there might be a change of tactics.