Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
harper

Scottish Independence ...

Tuesday night on STV we'll get the Lamont / Sturgeon head to head. I wouldn't like to be in Johann's shoes.

Me neither. I'm a size 12.

McWhirter in the Herald today: "What is remarkable in Scotland, at this turning point in history, is the almost complete absence of street politics in the referendum campaign. I think this a good thing, on the whole, but it puzzles the many foreign journalists who come to Scotland looking for drama - for million-strong marches, megaphones, riot police."

That will be my problem in September too. My Editor here expects literal and rhetorical fireworks, photo ops and megaphones. Still racking my brains for the right way to report this.

Examine the photographic archive since the rival campaigns were set up and some arresting images litter the album. Alistair Darling sharing a cheery balcony photo op with Scots Tory leader Ruth Davidson; George Osborne and Ed Balls grinning amiably at each other on Andrew Marr's Sunday sofa.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/feb/23/scotland-uneasy-independence-referendum-alliance-fray

do labour voters still have finger nails?

and a conscience?

(the last lines brilliant)

It's certainly not like the Ukraine and maybe just as well when you see all those coffins. They have given their lives for freedom. I see some similarities when you see the excesses of Yanukovych – the man who had everything, even a zoo, at the expense of the poor in his country. Appalling and made me think of the idea of the Museum for Thatcher, the second homes and expenses of all the Eton Boys in the Cabinet, when more and more of the working poor are now visiting food banks.

But to get back to your questions, Sgriob. There have not been street parades and protests, except on specific issues such as the Cuts and the Bedroom Tax. However, there are more and more events. Last week I went to hear Lesley Riddoch talk about her book Blossom, What Scotland Needs. There was an interesting discussion and people with diverse views. No riot police but passions were on show.

When you get here you should be able to find any number of events to attend with photo opportunities. Lesley Riddoch lives in Perthshire and is on tour with her book up to September.

I'll post other events in our Calendar.

Don't fancy that balcony tig. ha ha

Annabel Goldie and Fiona Hyslop discussing issues relating to Independence. Of all the Tories Annabel Goldie is one that I would have a little time from but amazing how she presents what the people of Scotland are interested in: low mortgages and low interest payments on their cars. Don't think she's going for an all inclusive view of society.

No, the concept of a more equal society escapes most tories

And not even the sense to mention more jobs.

I think it might be an idea to have a Plan B. It makes sense.

Soooooo, no sterling, no membership of the EU, if Scotland leave but the UK retains rights to oil and gas. How does that work?

Heavens, the head to head with Lamont and Sturgeon was an utter rabble.

"We're not genetically programmed in Scotland to make political decisions" was the line haha

it was a rabble tho....shouting over each other...did lamont answer a single question?

5b9af0f6c6cb591400bc6fd68a902bf5.jpg

(suppose thats what you always get when 2 women are in the same room/time zone lol) :rolleyes: :P :lol:

We didn't learn anything new. Very disappointing. Neither of them would let the other one speak. Although, I think Nicola has got the upper hand but she didn't destroy Johann the way she wiped out previous adversaries.

Found the link to the debate.

What a shambles indeed. NS really needs to reign it in a bit. She can't complain about Westminster bullying and then shout over people like that. What she says is very convincing but she undermines herself with her bullying delivery.

Not sure why you would expect more of women, Sqwibs - unless you think it is our role to play nice?

yeah, SL has previous for this. Wonder who the Chairman of SL used to be an advisor to?

Aye, and Frankie Boyle is a comedian, he is not a business analyst.

Standard Life has a large amount of funds under management so are a wee bit more than an insurance company. However, this is a very typical intervention from SL, they have previous for it, their Chairman is a former advisor to Thatcher and they threatened similar over devolution. Watch out for 'bra supremo Mone' coming out with similar, she also has previous for such utterances but has sadly not followed through on any of them.

I meant to say, see that Luxembourg, different country, different regulations and laws, different currency (the dreaded Euro) even a different language......and yet, it manages £trillions of UK funds - weird that

Keith Skeoch, Executive Director of Standard Life, is on the Board of Reform Scotland, the neo-conservative lobby group which wants to abolish the minimum wage, privatize the NHS and pensions and restrict trade unions further.

http://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archives/2014/02/tories-campaign-against-scottish-independence-shock/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

What makes me so mad is that none of these things are mentioned on the News, not even a hint that decisions are sometimes based on political bias.

Not sure why you would expect more of women, Sqwibs - unless you think it is our role to play nice?

35 years of marriage have not dimmed my rose-coloured specs. Maybe I just got lucky.

Next issue is that of the major banks currently based in Edinburgh to move if Indpependence is gained. This is according to an EU ruling from 1995. Nobody seens to have noticed it before. Would mean losing major financial institutions and jobs but if there was any need for a future bail out then they would be someone else's problem.