Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
harper

Scottish Independence ...

think it was the first unbiased thing ive seen from the beeb to be honest.

ye CL we're simply not important enough to count

also thought after last night show that when they said our oil revenue would "only" be the same as what we get in the barnet formula that the tax off everything else we sell/export will be pure profit then?

http://www.heraldscotland.com/comment/columnists/osbornes-politics-of-dirty-harry-on-currency-union.23407532

A positive spin on Osborne's threat/bluff to deny Scotland the use of sterling in the event of a Yes vote. "Rough wooing" indeed.

I'm not sure what the benefits would be, although Nicola seems to think that losing the currency would damage businesses – including in the South. If there is a YES vote then the rest of the UK pulls out of Europe would Scotland not be better with the euro - assuming it's part of the EU?

Scotland can continue to use its pound. Who know we may even join a Scandinavian currency union and use the Kroner. We could use the US $ and buffer ourselves from the inflationary pressures resulting from oil prices. However, sit back and enjoy as the CBI call Osborne to heel. His Master's Voice will not want added costs.

Shameful that the labour party would stoop so low

From the Hearld - One of Prime Minister Cameron's senior colleagues has announced that if the Scots vote Yes that doesn't mean Yes. If rUK doesn't like the way negotiations are going then Scotland just has to stay part of the UK until it does.

WOW!!!!! As own goals go, that is a belter. Arrogance spewing out of the Etonians.

They are so arrogant that they think they can ignoring totally the result of a legally held Referendum of Independence, a referendum made legal in the UK by the Section 30 Order passed into Law in its own Scotland Act 1998.

It will be interesting to see how unified the Labour and Liberal parties are behind this little tory wheeze, after all, they are all as one.

In discussing September's coverage this morning, my American friend proclaimed that the denial of the Pound to Scotland is surely a death blow to Independence. (I don't think I did a good job of persuading her otherwise.) Does anyone here regard this development as fatal?

In discussing September's coverage this morning, my American friend proclaimed that the denial of the Pound to Scotland is surely a death blow to Independence. (I don't think I did a good job of persuading her otherwise.) Does anyone here regard this development as fatal?

Not really, Sgriob. Although I'm no economist. ha ha.

"

The planned Independence Day of March 24, 2016, will not happen, leaving the current set-up as the "default option", unless negotiations between Edinburgh and London are completed satisfactorily, according to one of Prime Minister David Cameron's most senior colleagues.

The controversial view - dismissed by Alex Salmond as breathtaking, irresponsible and contemptuous of the democratic process in Scotland - came as the three main Westminster parties formed a united front to rule out the First Minister's centrepiece proposal for a currency union between an independent Scotland and the rest of the UK.

Setting out the case against a ­sterling-zone, George Osborne said yesterday that Treasury analysis showed "it wouldn't work"; it would cost jobs and money; and it would fail to provide economic security either side of the Border. "If Scotland walks away from the UK, it walks away from the UK pound," declared the Chancellor in a speech in Edinburgh.

But Mr Salmond sought to brush aside the Con-Lab-Lib alliance, denouncing it as a "concerted bid by a Tory-led Westminster establishment to bully and intimidate".

Salmond has his own threat: ". . . that Scotland would not pay its share of UK debt if it were denied a currency union by Whitehall."

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/referendum-news/yes-does-not-mean-yes.23438016

I don't mind that the 'Chief Secretary to the Treasury' gives advice to the Chancellor, that's part of his job. It does annoy me that it was made public though. It then becomes a policy statement from a supposedly 'unbiased' official.

Oh dear, this may well change my opinion on the whole dam thing:

http://eveningharold.com/2014/02/13/scots-cant-leave-uk-and-keep-buckfast-tonic-wine-says-chancellor/

Harper if you are coming and Sgriob then we need to have a big swally planned. Will willie also be flying in from or will he be lapping up the sunshine? I know tig and samsc will be gearing up for a big celebration and maybe rory, CL and hingmie? I'll have a word with Jimbo. :)

Looking forward to it. :)

I'm still one of the undecided - for lots of reasons - but this Sterling thing is irritating me; the notion that 'Treasury analysis showed it wouldn't work' in relation to a sterling zone holds as much water for me as any other government economic analysis. Politics is politics; and all 'treasury analysis' is political. That's why two different parties always come up with different results and different policies when analysing the same situation. The SNP do their analysis and come up with one conclusion, the Tory government do their analysis and come up with another conclusion; that's not shocking - that's exactly what you would expect; both conclusions confirm the where each group stands in relation to independence.

Apparently there is 'unacceptable burden on the UK taxpayer' due to the size of the Scottish Banks. The banks are the same size now as they would be in an independent Scotland; logically the burden is the same. My understanding is that Scotland (including me - as I pay tax) along with the rest of the UK owns a big chunk of the Scottish banking industry - after the bailouts; we've already assumed the burden in Scotland - along with everyone else. Basically it sounds more like - ascribing 'incompetence to any nation that is not England' when it comes to economic management.

Jimbo

Me too HH. Even if the No vote prevails this is an exciting moment in Scotland's history. I'm beginning to think that Independence is an inevitability -- regardless of September's result. This whole debate is giving us all a clearer view of how we think of ourselves, and of how the rest of the UK views us.

Great.

Jimbo, thanks for explaining he sterling issue. Makes more sense now. Looks as though there's a lot shouting about hee haw.

The Guardian has been very pro Better Together

However, an alternate view from the Tories favourite paper

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/comment/jeremy-warner/10640435/If-Scots-vote-for-independence-the-only-realistic-currency-is-the-pound.html

Canavan, Harvie and others calling for Plan B and other currency to be considered. http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/referendum-news/be-brave-and-prepare-to-dump-the-pound.23449097?utm_source=headlines&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=email%2Balert

If Scotland was accepted into the EU would it not then use the Euro?

Nope, doesn't have to (see Swedenn Denmark, etc) also has to meet certain convergance criteria to join the Euro, so the Euro isn't on the agenda until 2020. Plan B is continue to use a Scottish Pound tied to the rUK pound until the people of Scotland decide what they want to do.

Nope, doesn't have to (see Swedenn Denmark, etc) also has to meet certain convergance criteria to join the Euro, so the Euro isn't on the agenda until 2020. Plan B is continue to use a Scottish Pound tied to the rUK pound until the people of Scotland decide what they want to do.

Yes, I know that, samsc, and I know they don't need to use the Euro. We are already part of EU and don't use the euro but it's certainly an option. It wouldn't be the end of the world if the sterling, the Queen and trident were all ditched. Nato?

A bit of a boost to the YES campaign from the Public and Commerical Services Union, which represents Civil Servants. http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/referendum-news/boost-for-yes-camp-as-trade-union-to-back-independence.23499995?utm_source=headlines&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=email%2Balert

Do you think there's a class dimension to the Yes/No debate?

One swallow does not make a summer but at last we have an opinion poll with YES in the lead

ScotPulse survey, conducted among 1,148 people aged 16+ in Scotland.

It finds that of those definitely voting in the referendum, Yes and No support are both at 38 per cent, or 50 per cent each once 'don't knows' are excluded.

In terms of Chancellor George Osborne's statement rejecting a currency union with an independent Scotland, the impact of adding those minded to lean one way or the other puts those favouring Yes at 43 per cent while those favouring No are at 41 per cent

One swallow does not make a summer but at last we have an opinion poll with YES in the lead

ScotPulse survey, conducted among 1,148 people aged 16+ in Scotland.

It finds that of those definitely voting in the referendum, Yes and No support are both at 38 per cent, or 50 per cent each once 'don't knows' are excluded.

In terms of Chancellor George Osborne's statement rejecting a currency union with an independent Scotland, the impact of adding those minded to lean one way or the other puts those favouring Yes at 43 per cent while those favouring No are at 41 per cent

Not a big survey, samsc, but perhaps there has been a backlash over the sterling issue?

Tuesday night on STV we'll get the Lamont / Sturgeon head to head. I wouldn't like to be in Johann's shoes.