Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
harper

Scottish Independence ...

There are others who don't consider the Tories to be that complacent and wondering what they're getting up to in Spain?

"

The First Minister claimed there was a "stitch-up" between David Cameron and Spanish Prime ­Minister Mariano Rajoy.

"Mr Rajoy is speaking for David Cameron and the Tories by proxy," Salmond said.

The Scottish Conservatives accused the First Minister of "paranoia" and Downing Street dismissed claims of Cameron influencing the Spanish government as laughable.

Salmond's ferocious attack follows a damaging intervention by Rajoy that cast doubt on the SNP case that it would be straightforward for an independent Scotland to be an EU member.

Threatened by a popular break-away movement in Catalonia, Spain's most prosperous region, Rajoy said earlier this month that if part of an EU state chose independence, it would put itself outside the EU and need to apply for re-entry.

"This is a fact - it's neither a value judgment nor an opinion, it's simply a fact," he said.

For an independent Scotland to be an EU state, all 28 members would have to agree. Spain could veto Scottish entry, or, more likely, make entry very slow and difficult to send a warning to Catalan nationalists.

Rajoy's comments were deeply awkward for Salmond, who insists Scotland could not be cast out of the EU and would negotiate entry during the 18 months after a Yes vote in which the country was still part of the UK and hence of Europe."

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/referendum-news/salmond-spain-is-working-with-uk-to-thwart-yes-vote.23013356

There are others who don't consider the Tories to be that complacent and wondering what they're getting up to in Spain?

"

The First Minister claimed there was a "stitch-up" between David Cameron and Spanish Prime ­Minister Mariano Rajoy.

"Mr Rajoy is speaking for David Cameron and the Tories by proxy," Salmond said.

The Scottish Conservatives accused the First Minister of "paranoia" and Downing Street dismissed claims of Cameron influencing the Spanish government as laughable.

Salmond's ferocious attack follows a damaging intervention by Rajoy that cast doubt on the SNP case that it would be straightforward for an independent Scotland to be an EU member.

Threatened by a popular break-away movement in Catalonia, Spain's most prosperous region, Rajoy said earlier this month that if part of an EU state chose independence, it would put itself outside the EU and need to apply for re-entry.

"This is a fact - it's neither a value judgment nor an opinion, it's simply a fact," he said.

For an independent Scotland to be an EU state, all 28 members would have to agree. Spain could veto Scottish entry, or, more likely, make entry very slow and difficult to send a warning to Catalan nationalists.

Rajoy's comments were deeply awkward for Salmond, who insists Scotland could not be cast out of the EU and would negotiate entry during the 18 months after a Yes vote in which the country was still part of the UK and hence of Europe."

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/referendum-news/salmond-spain-is-working-with-uk-to-thwart-yes-vote.23013356

Mr Rajoy was talking out of his backside. However, David Cameron could put us all out of our misery and ask the EU, now, for a formal decision regarding an independent Scotland. He won't, makes you wonder why?

What if Spain or other EU countries veto the vote. Looks like Rajoy would do that.

Samc, I thought it was Japanese opinion which would have been very interesting but Iain Robertson looks like a Scotsman.

"There is even more to Scotland’s economic potential as an independent country than its booming oil and renewable energy industries. It has a number of world- class business sectors; including food and drink, life sciences and a first-class education system. Scotland has much to offer — both to itself and the world.

For 40 years, Scotland’s oil and gas wealth has been used to prop up the U.K. economy and bankroll expensive infrastructure projects in London and the south of England.

In return, Scots have witnessed the country’s manufacturing base destroyed and its social ills escalate.

Glasgow, Scotland’s largest city, governed at a local level by the same political party — the increasingly rightwing and unionist Labour Party — for much of the last half century, has some of the worst mortality and child poverty rates in the developed world. The notion that the country will face some sort of biblical apocalypse if it becomes independent; as most Scottish and U.K. newspapers seem to imply is unfounded and insulting."

Very emotional stuff and I'm not so sure about that first class education system.

What if Spain or other EU countries veto the vote. Looks like Rajoy would do that.

No he wouldn't Scotland has over 30% of the EU fishing waters and Spain needs access to those fish. Mr Rajoy is just making loads of noise for those Catalonians to hear

...Very complex indeed and this is where the strategy needs to be stepped up, IMV.

What do you think Salmond's next move should be?

Keep steering the ship as he is. He has timed this to perfection.

Better Together is imploding. Every time a Tory opens his or her mouth the YES campaign benefits

did the electoral commission not say both sides had to put forward their white paper by the 26th December?

still waiting on the naws

Yes, I know that. I thought tigs, was talking about the joint agreement for the Electoral Commission, setting out the process for after the referendum? The deadline was December 20th.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlandpolitics-25451159

The UK Government is the one dragging its heels. That last thing the UK Government wants is certainty, it needs smoke n mirrors to keep playing the Project Fear game.

Well, neither side has published their proposal to the joint agreement, so I don't know how you can be so certain which side is lagging?

Its supposed to be a single consultative document. The only people who wil talk to The Scottish Government is the Bank of England. The UK Government has prevaricated and delayed.

I know, Sam.

I am not sure what the delay is. I haven't heard either side come out and say the process is being thwarted or with a statement on their position to the joint agreement.... seems to have gone silent.

Any update links you know about?

The Better Together campaign has been about a series of bogeyman exercises. This is being followed up with a 'commemoration of the start of World War 1' year long extravaganza including a Kitchener like £2 coin (I have never heard of any country celebrating/commemorating the start of a war). So the 'No' campaign will continue with a strategy of 'scare them with half truths and play the rule Britannia card' which is hilarious when you think we were warned to watch out for the 'Braveheart' strings being pulled by the YES campaign.

Given the above, it would be absolute madness for the UK Government, this early in their campaign, to actually confirm post independence arrangements thus doing away with all of their bogeymen opportunities. The truth is, after almost 18 months of campaigning no one in better together has been able to draw up a list of advantages and how our lives will be better going forward as part of the UK, other than 1) our ability to kill other people and strut about the world stage overspending on war weapons is enhanced as part of teh UK.

Oh, I was confused by you mentioning the Electoral Commission, tigs. I thought you were talking about a different process. I thought white papers were presented to Parliament? Anyhoos... not a lot happening.

Still to b e revealed but apparently there's a bunch of celebrities gearing up to 'love bomb' Scotland in support of the Better Together Campaign.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/referendum-news/celebrities-lined-up-to-lead-fight-against-independence.23099930

Seems to be a move away from the days of the campaign launch when"Nary a movie star. Not a single quaver of song. Not one stanza of verse, empathetic or otherwise. They didn't even risk importing a UK government minister in case that hinted at political stardom (or, more probably, external advice.)"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-18585835

So who will the love bombers be? – and are they up to taking on Sir Sean, Liz Lochhead, The Proclaimers, Alan Cumming, Elaine C. Smith and Brian Cox?

I know who the hate bomber is, Gideon the chancellor.

£25 billion of future cuts half of which will come from the welfare budget; sadly labour confirming they will do likewise

Looks like Salmond was correct about Cameron and his sleekit behind everyone's back behaviour

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-news/camerons-plea-to-putin-help-me-stop-salmond.23138182

So Putin, the homophobic dictator, is allegedly Cameron's new pal. I thought they were just having a laugh on Facebook but then I thought the honouring of Cameron's hairdresser was a gag too.

It'll be interesting to see what response he get from Russia.

Why is he so keen to hold onto Scotland if it is such a drain on rsources?