Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
harper

Scottish Independence ...

I know I need to read it but wish there was a shorter version with highlights. Any other things that stand out, tig?

much shorter version in the "summary" edition.

ive only read wee bits here and there so far (im in work)

some bits mentioned are:

a guarantee that the minimum wage will rise at least in line with inflation.
Public services can be kept in public hands.
Access to our own resources.
Our taxes will not be used to pay for nuclear weapons and we can remove Trident from Scotland for good.

How about some serious input, Sam?

Did today's white paper address people's concerns? Personally, I didn't hear a lot of new detail in the broadcast but admittedly, I haven't read the 670 pages.

I've contributed more serious input than you on this thread. Constantly carping I am concerned without bothering to read material that addresses your concerns shows a serious lack of wanting to be informed. As it happens I was addressing a point made by Dex, amazingly Dex's comments received no rebuke from you, s'funny that.

Darling just said in tv that people are aging faster in Scotland than the rest of the UK...... not possible

More lies

I've contributed more serious input than you on this thread. Constantly carping I am concerned without bothering to read material that addresses your concerns shows a serious lack of wanting to be informed. As it happens I was addressing a point made by Dex, amazingly Dex's comments received no rebuke from you, s'funny that.

That is a matter of opinion.

I was interested in people's initial reactions to the broadcast and I have read the Summary. A lot of what I have read I was hearing, as SNO pledges, in the run up to the publication - hence my question.

As I recall, Dex was addressing you directly and you are well able to respond in kind. I am not your mammy.

My comment was in response to your remarks made in post 1216. At the risk of "constantly carping", I would have thought that on the eve of the publication of Scotland's Future, you could had resisted your usual urge to go for the cheap shot and maybe.... just maybe, engage in a constructive dialogue.

Darling just said in tv that people are aging faster in Scotland than the rest of the UK...... not possible

More lies

That was one of mine, I said within 50 years under independence Scots would have aged 65 years. VOTE NO for free botox

That is a matter of opinion.

I was interested in people's initial reactions to the broadcast and I have read the Summary. A lot of what I have read I was hearing, as SNO pledges, in the run up to the publication - hence my question.

As I recall, Dex was addressing you directly and you are well able to respond in kind. I am not your mammy.

My comment was in response to your remarks made in post 1216. At the risk of "constantly carping", I would have thought that on the eve of the publication of Scotland's Future, you could had resisted your usual urge to go for the cheap shot and maybe.... just maybe, engage in a constructive dialogue.

self awareness, or the lack of it, is a dreadful thing

How about contributing to the discussion, Sam?

Does "Scotland's Future" live up to your expectations? Has it addressed any doubts?

Happy to, Sam but as someone who is living away from Scotland pro tem, I am interested in the opinion of people who will be voting.

Catch you after work. :D

There is not much to argue about in the Government's white paper on independence. Scotland's Future sets out a succinct and compelling argument for the gains for Scotland as an independent country but I was confused by the section setting out the SNP manifesto, should they form the first Government in an independent Scotland. I would like to have heard more about the structure and seen more content on the fundamental issues of currency and EU membership, which although clearly outlined, is not fully supported by other governing or regulatory bodies, including the UK Parliament.

Listening to the debate today, economic arguments were tossed back and forth and as a punter, I am still not sure whose argument is the most credible at times. The childcare issue is emerging as the new point of debate but I feel this is a red herring, as these matters are already under the control of the SNP administration and can be acted on now. They have nothing really to do with the structure that would support an independent Scotland. At best, they serve only as an example of what might be achieved with increased resources.

If Alex Salmond's assertions on maintaining the pound and membership of the EU are true and he can face down his opponents, then I think the white paper presents an inspiring and aspirational future for Scotland. Whether people will take a chance and vote YES, with these two issues still largely unresolved, remains to be seen. Personally, my feeling is that,despite all the threats of exclusion, when push comes to shove, these assertions will be honoured because Scotland is too valuable an asset, within the current UK and Europe, to destabilise and cut adrift.

If I had a vote, I'd vote Yes!, Yes! Yes! - just like her in the filum. ;)

Nicola Sturgeon certainly seems very confident. She ran rings round a very perplexed Alistair Carmichael.

BERNARD PONSONBY 'Nicola Sturgeon comfortably out thought, out-fought & out-foxed Alistair Carmichael

The UK Government could solve the doubts regarding EU membership and the pound tomorrow by 1) formally asking the EU and 2) coming out and making a definitive statement. The fact they won't tells you all you need to know.

As for the pound, two things, its Scotland's pound as well, but more importantly, the GB Pound is a globally traded floated currency, anyone can use it. If Albania decided tomorrow that it would adopt the GB Pound there is not a thing the BoE could do about it.

I await the No campaign's blue print for Scotland in the UK - hopefully its better than last nights announcement of vote no and we will remove £4 billion from Scotland's block grant.

Nicola Sturgeon absolutely destroyed Alistair Carmichael on last night's TV debate.

Carmichael looked completely out of his depth. Not one genuine answer to a question. No guarantees of further powers in Scotland should there be a no vote, no guarantees his party will not jump into bed with the Tories again, no guarantees that Scotland will not have billions wiped off its budget and no answers on tackling child poverty.

NO wonder Better Together don't want a debate.

The UK Government could solve the doubts regarding EU membership and the pound tomorrow by 1) formally asking the EU and 2) coming out and making a definitive statement. The fact they won't tells you all you need to know.

As for the pound, two things, its Scotland's pound as well, but more importantly, the GB Pound is a globally traded floated currency, anyone can use it. If Albania decided tomorrow that it would adopt the GB Pound there is not a thing the BoE could do about it.

I await the No campaign's blue print for Scotland in the UK - hopefully its better than last nights announcement of vote no and we will remove £4 billion from Scotland's block grant.

Well, they are hardly going to do that at this stage - they want people to vote No.

It isn't as straight forward as Scotland deciding to retain the currency, it is also about retaining their relationship with the Bank of England for a period of time, is it not?

Both of these issues are a matter of differing opinion and it seems that Scotland cannot act to assert these rights without a degree of co-operation from Westminster and in the case of the EU, other member states?

This morning, the Spanish PM sates categorically that Scotland would have to apply and receive the backing of all the member states.... followed by a whole lot of "expert opinion" that would, quite frankly, make yur heid nip.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/top-stories/scottish-independence-spanish-blow-to-eu-vision-1-3211153

My heid is nipping, harper, but thought this was interesting:

"Former Scottish secretary Lord Forsyth of Drumlean questioned whether MPs from Scotland would be thrown out of the Commons immediately after a potential vote for independence.

The Conservative peer's comments came at question time in the House of Lords following the publication this week of Scottish First Minister Alex Salmond's blueprint for independence.

Lord Forsyth asked the Advocate General for Scotland, Lord Wallace of Tankerness: "In the event that Scotland votes to secede from the United Kingdom in September of next year, will the general election still take place in Scotland in May of the following year and if so at what point will those Scottish MPs who are elected to the House of Commons be asked to leave?

"If it is before the general election, will it not result in the disintegration of the coalition and an overall majority for the Conservative party?"

Lord Wallace of Tankerness said there is no end to the "ingenuity" of Lord Forsyth."

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-news/lord-forsyth-yes-vote-could-break-up-westminster-coalition-and-create-conservative-ma.1385642441

Will they be sending the Scottish Lords homeward to think again?

The Spanish Prime Minister is no more an authority on an Independent Scotland's position in the EU than next door's dog. He was speaking out loud in the hope that Catalunya was listening. That Scotland has almost all of Europe's oil, 25% of its wind and tidal resources and a significant chunk of its fishing resources says all you need to know about negotiation positions.

As for the Bank of England, its not England's bank its the UK's bank.

There is plenty of opinion on both of these issues but no clear, indisputable position - and it looks likely to drag on. What is it going to take to confirm beyond doubt the assertions made about currency and EU membership? Surly, it would be an advantage, if not a necessity, to have this pinned down before the referendum?

Seems like the deputy PM will have another chance to floor Alistair Carmichael on tonight's Question Time.

David Dimbleby presents the topical debate from Falkirk, with Scotland's deputy first minister Nicola Sturgeon MSP, Liberal Democrat secretary of state for Scotland Alistair Carmichael MP, former leader of the Scottish Conservatives Annabel Goldie MSP, Labour's shadow Scottish secretary Margaret Curran MP, co-convenor of the Scottish Greens Patrick Harvie MSP and the singer-songwriter and member of Artists for Independence Eddie Reader.

There is plenty of opinion on both of these issues but no clear, indisputable position - and it looks likely to drag on. What is it going to take to confirm beyond doubt the assertions made about currency and EU membership? Surly, it would be an advantage, if not a necessity, to have this pinned down before the referendum?

Absolutely and the UK Government can seek a ruling from the commission and have a similar discussion with BoE. They refuse to, wonder why?

Catalonia seems to be getting a wee warning from the Spanish Prime Minister. The Edinburgh Agreement seems to be pretty significant. UK should be entering into negotiations in good faith to avoid putting Scotland in an awkward position.

Goodwill of others seems to be an issue. Is the Spanish Prime Minister going to veto the vote. Might be damaging to Spanish tourism. :blink: