Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
harper

Scottish Independence ...

Could be punishment for whole families. If parents earning more than £25,000 you're not eligible. What if there are two or three young people under twenty five in a house who are unemployed?

The main focus should be on figuring out how employment opportunities are going to be improved. It seems to me that our young people should have every encouragement and piece of support possible to build their skills and career prospects.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/referendum-news/campaign-for-a-refreshed-union-if-scotland-votes-no.22769224

Panic, panic, panic

The tide is turning and the London gravy train is wobbling on the tracks. Smell the fear in the political elite.

VOTE YES

Did you print all of the TV debates and votes which followed or even the one carried out by Strathclyde University or is it only the rare and getting rarer votes that suit your agenda that you print.

The Bitter Together voices are getting that bit shriller

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/top-stories/scottish-independence-1-000-flock-to-radical-talks-1-3200198

There you go Dex, real activists, recognising the opportunity for real change.

The UK cannot change without something radical, you would have thought the near crash of the financial system brought about by its own greed would have been the catalyst but no, vested interest had its way, bonuses are up, the tax payer foots the bill and the media have pursuaded the very stupid that its the fault of the poor and immigrants. Scotland voting for independence might just be that wake up call for the rest of the UK.

I do love it when you try the snearing condescension then make a complete @ss of it; however, your past contributions have been very poor and as ever, littered with copy n paste.

I'll let you run through your post and spot the spelling mistake.

There's a wee smilie for you :lol:

Boys, boys, boys. Mind the insults and stick with the discussion. :)

I'd rather read today's Scotsman referring to when the current Scottish Government gave £10m to Amazon. A sum that Hugh Andrew suggests would pay his and every other employee's salary in the Scottish book industry. http://www.scotsman.com/news/hugh-andrew-amazon-jobs-come-at-a-high-price-for-scotland-1-1994067

The results for those who got the low paid jobs with Amazon were seen on tonight's Panorama. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25091315

When Amazon opened its largest UK fulfilment centre in Fife it was said to have received more in government grants than it actually paid back into the Treasury. When the Scottish Government were questioned a spokesman for Alex Salmond said there would be no attempt to claim back money given to Amazon in subsidies.

Apparently the Scottish Government believes that all companies operating in Scotland should meet their taxation obligations.

“If there are concerns about any individual company and the tax paid that question should really be directed at the UK Government, which currently controls the corporation tax system in Scotland.”

I think we're all agreed that Amazon won't be leaving Scotland any time soon. For different reasons mind you.

I'd rather read today's Scotsman referring to when the current Scottish Government gave £10m to Amazon. A sum that Hugh Andrew suggests would pay his and every other employee's salary in the Scottish book industry. http://www.scotsman.com/news/hugh-andrew-amazon-jobs-come-at-a-high-price-for-scotland-1-1994067

The results for those who got the low paid jobs with Amazon were seen on tonight's Panorama. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25091315

When Amazon opened its largest UK fulfilment centre in Fife it was said to have received more in government grants than it actually paid back into the Treasury. When the Scottish Government were questioned a spokesman for Alex Salmond said there would be no attempt to claim back money given to Amazon in subsidies.

Apparently the Scottish Government believes that all companies operating in Scotland should meet their taxation obligations.

“If there are concerns about any individual company and the tax paid that question should really be directed at the UK Government, which currently controls the corporation tax system in Scotland.”

I think we're all agreed that Amazon won't be leaving Scotland any time soon. For different reasons mind you.

How much did the Scottish Government under Jack McConnell give Amazon to open up Gourock? Now here's another wee lesson for you Dex. The way those grants work is they only pay when the company deliveres actual full time permanent jobs (not temporary Christmas jobs). Amazon in Scotland got offers of grants for several locations (if you had bothered to do any research at all rather than just copy n pasting) including a web development centre in Edinburgh, a customer and technical support centre in Edinburgh, and two fulfillment centres one at Gourock and one at Dunfermline. If, and only if, the correct number of full time permanent jobs (over 1,300 jobs) are created and maintained for the specified period by the European Union (5 years after payment of grant) will those grants be paid and considered exhausted.

Now, lets look at the levels of youth unemployment in Dunfermline and Gourock. Or will we not bother because that won't fit with your rather childish muck raking. Should we consider the economic impact of taking people from benefits to actually having p0eople get paid and actually pay tax and national insurance, or again will we just not bother because that doesn't fit with the simplistic point you are trying to make.

As for corporation tax, when Scotland is independent we can have reasonable discussions about corporation tax. In the meantime, again if you had did a modicum of research, you would have worked out that Amazon operate what is called a transfer pricing policy with regard to where they report sales. That transfer pricing policy has to be agreed with HMRC in advance. Which party was in power when Amazon came to Scotland and agreed its transfer pricing policy.....here's a wee clue Dexy boy, they also took the UK into two illegal wars which now count the dead at just over 1 million. Do you know the answer? Do you want someone to write it down for you so that you can copy n paste it?

BITTER TOGETHER TOMBOLA

Guess the Bitter Together Headline to counter the Independence white paper.

Will it be:-

a) A vote for independence will mean Ben Nevis needs to be lowered by 500 feet; or

b ) Under independence all of Scotland's drinking water will dry up and Scotland will have to buy its water from the rest of the UK who won't sell it to them; or

c) Expert predicts that in 50 years time an independent Scotland will have aged 65 years

How about some serious input, Sam?

Did today's white paper address people's concerns? Personally, I didn't hear a lot of new detail in the broadcast but admittedly, I haven't read the 670 pages.

Darling managed to read all 670 pages in the 9 mins before he declared it a work of fiction

surprised much?

totally agree

more women immigrants is what we need too :lol:

At the moment the care homes and hospitals are operating, to a great extent, under the steam of foreign staff. Many of them are female so doesn't sound like a bad idea.

At the moment the care homes and hospitals are operating, to a great extent, under the steam of foreign staff. Many of them are female so doesn't sound like a bad idea.

we'd be in the stone age if it wasnt for immigrants in this country.

the constant having a go at them to score political brownie points only increases (originally) non existent tensions

makes me sick that these right wing hate mongers are allowed to lie through there teeth to blame and accuse people who have only benefited us

Sorry, am I missing something here, tigs? I would have thought that Scotland would welcome immigrants and promote women in the work place, regardless of it's UK status. Why will it take independence to achieve this?

And you can tone doon the snarf any time you like:D

Aye, nae snarfing, but I think it is very good to spell out that we need to increase our population. Particularly after all the recent disgraceful promotions to get people to return and the anti-immigration views pushed forward by the likes of UKIP.

I'm also pleased to hear that women's role in the workforce is seen as important and any drive to increase employment opportunities together with the necessary childcare resources seems to me to be a very good move.

I've not actually looked at the white paper but these were aspects of it that were highlighted before it was published.

while we are still under westminster control we have little say on such things though....it the uk decide to change the rules or close the borders then there nothing our gov can do.

there was no snarf intended at all...maybe you read it wrong ;)