Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
harper

Scottish Independence ...

Not sure what the timeframe is, post referendum to progress to independence but the are major issues throughout the UK that need equal attention, Sam and they need attention now.
As much as I hate the Tories, quite frankly, I'd be appalled if Westminster dropped everything to focus on a debate with Alex Salmond. Independence is but one agenda within the UK. Let the Scottish ministers and representatives get on with it.

It would be a blessing in disguise if Westminster stopped doing what it is doing. The dismantling of the welfare state and the transfer of benefits from the poorest to the middle classes is staggering. The stealth privatisation of the NHS in England and Wales (how much does Alistair Darling get to represent these companies wanting to privatise the NHS?) carries on regardless, the privatisation of Royal Mail carries on regardless, you see a theme here, carries on regardless. Now, the tories remain in close touch with labour in the polls, the tories have made their rallying call to the bitter brigade, we promise each of you will get an immigrant to kick, we will hold a referendum to exit the EU and of course we will get rid of that pesky Human Rights Act.

I cannot, however, find anywhere anyone asking that Westminster drop everything to deal with independence? I am not quite sure what your point is with that regard.

Denise Mina not too happy about the debates about Independence. Writing in New York Times

"

Some people, very laudably, hope that as a smaller country we will be able to take a lead in eco-tech, developing sustainable energy sources and electric cars.

But sadly, we’re not really discussing any of these things. We’re discussing yes or no.

The rest of Britain is baffled, but senses the anger. Nigel Farage, a British member of the European Parliament who roughly equates with America’s own dear Rand Paul, except really smug and annoying, was chased out of Edinburgh earlier this year by an angry mob. He put it down to “anti-English” feeling, despite the protesters’ making their objections very clear in their chants of “racist” and “homophobe.” He tried to escape in two different taxis, both of whose drivers asked him to get out.

So, let’s hurry up and blame the media: adversarial debate is full of drama and arrives at a conclusion in time for the adverts. Tweets are short and good for the rhythmic call and response of angry debate.

Make no mistake, the only clear side of this debate is that intelligent public discourse matters, and that we’re not getting any of it."

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/03/opinion/does-scotland-want-independence.html?_r=2&

The woman is brilliant so it should follow that I agree wholeheartedly...but...i'm not sure if the previous referendum had debates, or endless what will happen to this that and everything else but my guess is that there were those things and my view is to say..."who knows" ? When the US declared independence all they wanted was to be rid of England. My limited knowledge says they may have had committees to discus many things but the idea seemed to be, let us win our freedom and decide our future...the gaul of thais upstarts, eh, they even invented and produced their ain currency.

Were there debates in regards tae what wull happen when the document frae Arbroath was drafted ?

Thought you might enjoy that, tam. I think there are a lot of many important issues at the moment not being addressed with the attention they deserve because of the referendum ballyhoo.

so independence (where we can govern our own future) shouldnt be on the agenda because there are more important torie cuts to discuss?

dont think about the future just grieve about the things thats happening just now?

stop talking about what MIGHT happen and just grovel in the sh@t thats happening already?...

should i let the grand kids know we where too busy talking about how hard done by we where to do anything that would actually change it?

is that what we should do?

Should be on the agenda and is on the agenda, tig. But it's all a bit pear shaped. For example most people think that it's all about Alex Salmond.

And yes I do think there should be talk about the cuts and challenges made. Also Scotland is currently has a parliament. The job there is: addressing, rectifying and developing matters relating to today and the future - whether that be within an independent Scotland or otherwise. There's a lot of hot air and rivalry between parties using up time and energy on the issue of Independence. Could this be detrimental to the day job. I think it probably is.

Should be on the agenda and is on the agenda, tig. But it's all a bit pear shaped. For example most people think that it's all about Alex Salmond.

And yes I do think there should be talk about the cuts and challenges made. Also Scotland is currently has a parliament. The job there is: addressing, rectifying and developing matters relating to today and the future - whether that be within an independent Scotland or otherwise. There's a lot of hot air and rivalry between parties using up time and energy on the issue of Independence. Could this be detrimental to the day job. I think it probably is.

Then most people need to get educated about what the most important opportunity for their children and grand children is about.

No wonder Better Together prefers the dark corners of project fear and unfounded scare stories.

Shine a light on their arguments and they are shown up for the falsehoods they are.

"As the Edinburgh City Leader for Business for Scotland I attend a large number of business presentations and events focussed on independence. Last night as we came to the end of an independence debate hosted by Edinburgh marketing company Nth Degree, the No campaign got a bit of a shock. The audience were asked (post debate) to say how they now intended to vote"

They're seriously polite in Edinburgh. They wouldn't want to spoil th e party. Meanwhile in the real world the Nationalist for independence lost to Labour and now don't have a councillor in Govan. Luckily enough they still have Nicola Sturgeon as their MP. Possibly she couldn't tear herself away from the failing och aye the noo campaign to help out in a council election.

How to win votes or even mer votes, for the YES campaign: 101

Give people the information they need to make an informed decision.

Answer questions and concerns, clearly, directly and without any trace of a sneer or a naff historical reference.

Don't call people stupid or feart because they currently hold an opposing view.

Try grasping the notion that you have to convince people to change their mind, not castigate them for not agreeing with you.

Give Donald Trump a complete body swerve.

Dot the Is and cross the Ts on the major issues, such as defence, membership of the European Union, currency before pronouncing that it will be alright on the night....

Stop whinging about the tactics of the Better Together campaign and get on with it.

Easy peasy, lemon squeezy. B)

How to win votes or even mer votes, for the YES campaign: 101

Give people the information they need to make an informed decision.

Answer questions and concerns, clearly, directly and without any trace of a sneer or a naff historical reference.

Don't call people stupid or feart because they currently hold an opposing view.

Try grasping the notion that you have to convince people to change their mind, not castigate them for not agreeing with you.

Give Donald Trump a complete body swerve.

Dot the Is and cross the Ts on the major issues, such as defence, membership of the European Union, currency before pronouncing that it will be alright on the night....

Stop whinging about the tactics of the Better Together campaign and get on with it.

Easy peasy, lemon squeezy. B)

Get people to bother their backside to look for the answers instead of constantly complaining that information that has already been made available isn't there.

How to hide the fact yer feart 101

Grasp the most spurious ridiculous comment made by Better Together and pretend that its FACT

Demand the Scottish Government disprove said FACT

Ignore when said FACT is disproved

Complain that Scottish Government isn't presenting positive argument but spends its time counter false FACTS

he is right though lol

i would add

complain there is too much uncertainty while living in the solid rock of a certain future that is the UK

*raised eyebrow*

It's not about being right, tigs, it's about being smart and treating your target voter, ie, the people you are trying to get on your side, with respect.

Ok.... how about, How to win Friends and Influence People? ....The Art of Selling?

i see your point harper

i think the yes campaign has been bogged down in defending total misnomers spouted by the no campaign.

the vid i posted above tries to explain why that is...its a well know political tactic....attack attack attack with little or no basis what so ever so deflecting away from the real issues of would it be better.

we are more better off than England presently (free med,an actual nhs, free education etc etc etc) with only half the lawful powers PLUS we're subsidising the UK at the same time.

so how much better off would we be if we had all the powers and spent all the revenue on us?

I don't disagree with you tigs, I just think the SNP need to be running a skilful and respectful campaign. regardless of what the YES campaign are doing. Misinformation can be challenged and floating voters can and should be treated with respect.

i believe floaters are respected when they ask reasonable logical questions on what might happen but when they repeat the down right lies the no campaign comes out with then they should be rightly accosted for their actions.

Aye, that will get them on board, right enough. I suppose judging the value of people's questions and concerns is more important than gaining their support.