Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
Hingmie

Ladies who lunch

I had lunch today in the New York Kitchen, 562 Dumbarton Road, Partick. The restaurant just opened in December but is already building up a reputation for quality food - strictly New York style with fabulous burgers, wings, pizzas, fries and milkshakes. They've got some very tasty sounding breakfasts on the menu and you can even try a cocktail style milkshake with bourbon. If it's going to be all about word of mouth then I predict this place will be successful through recommendation.

I'll definitely be going back. Nice surroundings, happy staff and great sounds - that's apart from the food. :-)

Lots of interesting to'ing and fro'ing in the West End these days. I am particularly intrigued by the plans to develop the old toilet block in the middle of Anniesland Cross into a Spanish Restaurant. I hope La Pasionara comes to fruition.

You can read all about it and other restaurant goings on in Roy Beers Dining and Drinking

An update on what I thought was an abandoned project.

FORMER Rangers player Jorg Albertz is behind a new restaurant venture on the site of a disused public toilet in Glasgow.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-news/restaurant-could-make-albertz-flush.20248966

Good to hear the project is going ahead. If it gets really busy they might need to build a walkway as it's at a busy spot. Although, people made it to the toilet. :)

I love the name:

"The venture will be named Pasionaria, after the nickname of Spanish Republican leader Isidora Ibárruri, who rallied the troops of the International Brigades during the Spanish Civil War, during which 65 Glasgow volunteers died."

I went along with a friend last night to the launch of new west end pub The Richmond, where Bar Bola used to be. It's had a brilliant makeover and looks fabulous – very elegant. The staff are very friendly and efficient and the food is mouthwatering. They served nibbles, including baby burgers, with various interesting sauces and haggis bon bons!! - whoever thought those up is a bit of a culinary genius. :)

I had a lovely afternoon in Cafe Alba, next door to Caledonia Book Shop. It's a particularly attractive space, nice and bright, and lots of gorgeous cakes on display in the glass case. The coffee was delicious and the staff are very pleasant. I'll be back before too long - lunch next time for sure. :)

I met a friend the other day in Smile on Queen Margaret Drive. A couple of Italian friends from a village near Sorrento have created a super bistro with superb sandwiches, coffee and friendly atmosphere. :-)

Met the man in the know, Roy Beers, for lunch today. We tried out Byblos in Park Road. It was brilliant super tasty lamb kofta sandwich with loads of spicy ingredients and home made bread. Joe, the owner, and his wife Silvana, are super pleasant and make you very welcome. We enjoyed the home made baklava - on the house.

Watch out for Roy's verdict in his next feature: http://www.glasgowwestend.co.uk/eating/eatingdrinking.php

I have had lunch twice recently at The Inn at bearsden train station, good food but service slow which is a bother when ye have to get back to work. Would go again

I also visited the new Titan, Hungry Horse where the Boulevard hotel, Clydebank was. The food & service & price was ok but I don't know that I would hurry back.

I popped my head into Tinto Tapas Restaraunt on Hyndland Street today. Just doing a wee nosey and was very impressed. I had a chat with the manager, Gordon Craig, and he invited me to have lunch so I tried a couple of their tapas. I had paella of the day, spiced lamb, and chicken with lemon, garlic and rosemary. It was delicious. It's a lovely bright restaurant with a very relaxed atmosphere and good to see it quite busy on a Thursday, early afternoon. I think the restaurant will do really well as there's been a gap in this style of eating since Pinxto at Thornwood closed.

On a Tuesday tapas are at a special price of £2.50 each Now there's a bragain.

https://www.facebook.com/TintoTapasWestEnd

"Recent months have seen the launch of Assagini at the very bottom of Byres Road, effectively rescuing a site which nobody had managed to turn into a success - the smart money says it is in safe hands with its new owner, the Tony Macaroni chain - - See more at: http://www.glasgowwestend.co.uk/eating/eatingdrinking.php#sthash.w00USH3K.dpuf"

Anyone lose their shirt on the above tip?

it's no now UshRs or something. Is it a high rent that kills them .

"Recent months have seen the launch of Assagini at the very bottom of Byres Road, effectively rescuing a site which nobody had managed to turn into a success - the smart money says it is in safe hands with its new owner, the Tony Macaroni chain - - See more at: http://www.glasgowwestend.co.uk/eating/eatingdrinking.php#sthash.w00USH3K.dpuf"

Anyone lose their shirt on the above tip?

it's no now UshRs or something. Is it a high rent that kills them .

If I was a gambler I may have put a bet on it as, just a few doors up, Tony Macaroni's does so well. A number of restaurants have certainly had no luck on that particular corner. I particularly liked when it was owned by Gordon Yuill but that's going back a while.

Met my friend Steph for lunch in The Hyndland Fox – just opened by Peckhams. Lovely sitting in the sunshine. I had delicious chorizo and mango salad. :)

When I was at Gibson Street Gala I sheltered from the rain and enjoyed some tasty tapas in the new restaurant, El Gusto on Gibson Street. Lovely wee place and great food. They also do a party carry out order service.

Lovely to sit outside The Botanic's Tearoom in the sunshine. The staff are absolutely lovely.

Probably said this before but Smile in Queen Margaret Drive has the best sandwiches in town and the coffee is braw.

I like Smile but it is getting very busy so you cant always get a seat. I sometimes get a sandwich and coffee and take it too the Kibble Palace.

Glasgow Tea Room,Glassford St.

My friend Jackie and me,had tea and cake in this lovely tea room yesterday afternoon.Crisp white cotton tablecloths and napkins,and a large pot of piping hot tea to wash down the delicious cakes.

What put the icing on the cake for me were the staff.It's a family affair run by a mother,Anna,and her two daughters.I hope Anna wont mind me telling this,but this immaculate,slim,perfectly coiffured lady,is..82.She looks and acts 20 years younger,and has a history in her profession stretching back to Guys Restaurant,Frasers Dept.Store,etc.etc.Her equally well groomed two daughters are also warm and welcoming.I was amazed at Anna..a force of nature,and loved the tea shop and wish them great success.

Sounds great, Willie. I will definitely try it out next time I am down town. I love family businesses and think the service always tends to be much better when the owner or family members are actually on the premises.

I think harper might be expecting to try out The Tearoom in September. :)