Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End

Ladies who lunch

I had lunch the other day in Avenue G, the newish cafe in Byres Road. I had delicious mackerel pate, oatcakes and salad. It was around a fiver and there was enough pate to have fed three people. Definitely homemade and delicious. The staff are lovely.

Hope it does well as on this spot cafes seem to come and go at a tremendous rate. It was certainly busy enough when I was there.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I had lunch the other day in Avenue G, the newish cafe in Byres Road. I had delicious mackerel pate, oatcakes and salad. It was around a fiver and there was enough pate to have fed three people. Definitely homemade and delicious. The staff are lovely.

Hope it does well as on this spot cafes seem to come and go at a tremendous rate. It was certainly busy enough when I was there.

What was it before, Pat ?

What was it before, Pat ?

It was the Turkish cafe, which was gorgeous, but didn't last too long and then something else and quite a few other names over the past several years.

I see the Bank building at the bottom of Byres Road also has another new name.

I was also in Little Italy this week. Always utterly dependable no matter what you choose. I had some super pumpkin soup and Jim the minestrone.:)

• 2 weeks later...

I met a couple of friends yesterday for lunch in Stravaigin. Invariably fabulous food.

I see that Tattie Macs in Otago Street is now Crabby Macs. Apparently changed a couple of months back.

Saladin, the Persian Cafe and Deli, on Great Western Road was very short lived and has already closed.

I met a couple of friends yesterday for lunch in Stravaigin. Invariably fabulous food.

I see that Tattie Macs in Otago Street is now Crabby Macs. Apparently changed a couple of months back.

Saladin, the Persian Cafe and Deli, on Great Western Road was very short lived and has already closed.

You're too fancy, pat. I had a roll on scrambled egg in the university cafe and a cup of tea and very tasty it was.

You're too fancy, pat. I had a roll on scrambled egg in the university cafe and a cup of tea and very tasty it was.

:lol: Not too fancy, CL. I like scrambled egg on soft rolls with tomato sauce and bacon rolls on crispy rolls with H.P. Always liked the Uni Cafe.

Lots of interesting to'ing and fro'ing in the West End these days. I am particularly intrigued by the plans to develop the old toilet block in the middle of Anniesland Cross into a Spanish Restaurant. I hope La Pasionara comes to fruition.

You can read all about it and other restaurant goings on in Roy Beers Dining and Drinking

Another empty building that will be back in use is the BBC on Queen Margaret Drive, which has now lain unused for four years. It's been bought by the G1 Group, who will make it their headquarters, moving 100 staff from the Merchant City.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-15766735

Lots of interesting to'ing and fro'ing in the West End these days. I am particularly intrigued by the plans to develop the old toilet block in the middle of Anniesland Cross into a Spanish Restaurant. I hope La Pasionara comes to fruition.

You can read all about it and other restaurant goings on in Roy Beers Dining and Drinking

Another empty building that will be back in use is the BBC on Queen Margaret Drive, which has now lain unused for four years. It's been bought by the G1 Group, who will make it their headquarters, moving 100 staff from the Merchant City.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-15766735

That is a strange wee building at Anniesland Cross. I cannot help but wonder where the diners would park? Although they would not be far from the taxi rank.

I suspect there will be a few disgrunted people with their nose out of joint regarding the plans for the old BBC Building. I am surprised. I thought it would be turned into flats or a fancy hotel.

• 4 weeks later...

I had a lovely meal with friends at Hotel du Vin, One Devonshire. The food is great and you couldn' ask for a more attractive and comfortable setting.

Glad you enjoyed it Pat. I have been rather boring and not getting out much but have had nice lunch at World of Golf near Boulevard hotel and tapas in a place near Bearsden Cross which was great but I can't remember the name. Also dined at The Cabin and as usual the food was delicious. The decor has been tarted up a bit since my last visit 2 years ago but my driver still drove past as he had not realised that there was a restaurant there. As usual, he thought it was a transport cafe type place.

Glad you enjoyed it Pat. I have been rather boring and not getting out much but have had nice lunch at World of Golf near Boulevard hotel and tapas in a place near Bearsden Cross which was great but I can't remember the name. Also dined at The Cabin and as usual the food was delicious. The decor has been tarted up a bit since my last visit 2 years ago but my driver still drove past as he had not realised that there was a restaurant there. As usual, he thought it was a transport cafe type place.

I've never been to The Cabin, hingmie, but only ever heard good reports about it. I love tapas and best place I've had them is Pinxto's in Partick. You've put me in the mood. :)

I went along the other day to Antonio Carluccio's restaurant / deli. What a brilliant atmosphere and very nice food. It's a very lively and popular restaurant so a good idea to pop in and book and then hang out in the style mile until your table is available.:lol:

It's at the West Nile Street end of Drury Lane.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone dining in should try HomeWok if you like Chinese food. There is one on Byres Road and one on Great Western Road at Anniesland. The food tastes very fresh and is great value and no bother delivering. We had it twice last week. You get large portions so think about sharing or you will have a lot of leftovers.

Anyone dining in should try HomeWok if you like Chinese food. There is one on Byres Road and one on Great Western Road at Anniesland. The food tastes very fresh and is great value and no bother delivering. We had it twice last week. You get large portions so think about sharing or you will have a lot of leftovers.

Very handy for us, rory. I can back up what you say about it and students get a great discount.

I hear Antipasti is no more. :(

Very handy for us, rory. I can back up what you say about it and students get a great discount.

I hear Antipasti is no more. :(

Little Italy seems to be thriving, as ever. We had some lovely pasta and pizza at tea time after a long walk and checking out the allotment.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

And whit is a tchai latter when it's at hame?

I baffle coffee establishments by asking for a flat whyite coffee. They always look at their lists of Mocachinos, Babychionos, Americaos and don't have a clue how to supply a simple cup of coffee with hot milk, no froth. I am sure someone has done a sketch about the no froth coffee. :lol:

And whit is a tchai latter when it's at hame?

I baffle coffee establishments by asking for a flat whyite coffee. They always look at their lists of Mocachinos, Babychionos, Americaos and don't have a clue how to supply a simple cup of coffee with hot milk, no froth. I am sure someone has done a sketch about the no froth coffee. :lol:

Chai latte isnae coffee. Flat white certainly doesn't sound in any way exotic. I like black coffee with hot milk on the side or Dino's cappuccinno, which is just fantastic.

The coffee in Sonny and Vito's is also lovely and so is their hot chocolate.

No coffee? Well, what is it then? I'm all intrigued... :lol:

It's milky tea with spices like clove, cardamon and ginger. I first tasted it in Canada many years ago and you can now get it in Tinderbox, Smug and either Costa or Starbucks (or maybe both).

Looks like Cafe Nardini on Byres Road is set to open its doors any day now.

I had a peep through the blinds, very art deco and looking swanky.:)

Read Roy Beers Special Feature on Persia I love this restaurant.

Great article on Persia. Who could resist it now. :lol:

I've been keeping an eye on Nardini's. The ice cream cafe a couple of shops up must be none too pleased.