Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
Hingmie

Ladies who lunch

I had two delightful lunch dates this week. The first was in Booly Mardy's on Vinniecomb Street, where I met up with a couple of Ayrshire laddies. Great company and what a lovely meal. They go to a lot of trouble with their presentation and portions are very generous. I had a BLT, which came with a delicious little cup of soup, chips on the side and a huge roll with salad and bacon.

Avoid all the hustle and bustle of Byres Road Cafes – maybe shouldn't have said that. You'll all be camping on on the comfy booths now.

Second up was Le Chalet Beaumartin, Great Western Road, Kelvinbridge - my goodness, the full Swiss apres ski experience. We stuck with the alpine theme and had Raclette, you get to prepare yourself and whoever knew that melting cheese could be such fun. :) To follow, what else, but chocolate fondue and fresh fruit.

Fairly warms you up on a cold day. Here's my review: http://www.glasgowwestend.co.uk/le-chalet-beaumartin-glasgow-west-end-review-pat-byrne/

Had a lovely lunch in The Drygate Brewery, Nr Duke Street. Went along to the Work in Progress, Masters Students GSA Exhibition. AlgoRhthm. Very interesting. Then we had coffee and deli snack in the restaurant – lovely mushroom, truffle chorizo and celeriac. Very tasty with sourdough bread and oil to dif. It's a brilliant place. Very spacious and you look right through to wear the beer is being brewed, as they say: "fearlessly" :)

I have eaten out at lunch time the last 4 days. Monday was pretty mundane but still tasty at Sainsburys where i had soup, summer vegetable wi nice bread and a free read at the daily papers.

Tuesday, I traveled to the Dumbuck House Hotel which was very quiet, with only about 6 people (including me and friend) in a very large, attractive eating area. I had the steak n onion sandwich on ciabatta bread accompanied by side salad and chips. Tasty and the service was excellent. To tell the truth, the big guy taking orders and serving seemed grateful for something to do.

Wednesday, I was at Bibi's, near the Partick police station. Mexican style grub and I loved it. My eye was too big for my belly so couldn't finish but I had cream cheese stuffed jalapenos, breadcrumbed and deep fried. Smashing. Followed by beef chili nachos wi sour cream, salsa and guacamole. Absolutely the best and the staff are on their toes, very attentive.

Today I was in a wee Italian restuarant in Clydebank , Cafe Citta. Again, staff on their tootsies but not in your face. I had minestrone soup to start followed by chicken breast strips with peppercorn sauce. The sauce was delicious, peppery but not too hot, really creamy. The chips were very good, I think they were real, not frozen. The only critiscism I could possibly make is that there was a wee sad looking, meagre portion of salad on the side. However, I could get used to this life !! Toast with poached egg, beans or pate does not seem the same.

Had dinner in Dumbuck. Wholesome fare and loads of it.

I was in Sonny and Vitos' in Park Road on Sunday for an excellent scone and tea.My friend had bakewell tart and coffee which was declared delicious.The staff are lovely,and the two owners bake all these wonderful cakes!I thought it was great

I was in Sonny and Vitos' in Park Road on Sunday for an excellent scone and tea.My friend had bakewell tart and coffee which was declared delicious.The staff are lovely,and the two owners bake all these wonderful cakes!I thought it was great

I love Sonny & Vito's, willie. Called after the owners, Annemarie and Marco's twin boys. The food is delicious. The best decaff coffee I've ever tasted and, as you say, very nice staff. Say hi to them from me, Rita too, next time you're in. Or even better - see you there. :)

I'd have finished that off with a pokey hat and raspberry sauce:)

Quite right too. :)

Yesterday I had a light bite in Bar Gandolfi, oatcakes and salad with goqt's cheese and pumpkin pate – very tasty. Later on we had toasted scones and Americanas in Trans European Cafe at the Trongate. It's a very cool place with great music.

I'm usually in St Louis, Cafe /Bar in Partick for a literary or musical event but yesterday I met a friend there for lunch. Lovely bruschetta with goat's cheese and thai fish cakes. The food was lovely, great coffee and it's got such a relaxed atmosphere. Quite a few people dining on their own. The staff are also very friendly and I've been their when it's mobbed – the remain unfazed and very efficient.

Nice to have some place so good along at Thornwood, rory.

The Transeuropean Café at Trongate is brilliant. They've got great chocolate cake and you're not hurried along as if the waiter's got a hot date waiting.

Other good thing about this place is the music, CL. Some amazing blasts for the past but very tasteful. Well, my taste. ha ha

Not written in here for a wee while. I seem to have been enjoying tea and scones more than lunch but today was an exception. Went along to The Drugstore Social, just opened on 7 October in Old Dumbarton Road, Yorkhill. My heavens what an unusual menu – they've even got wild mushrooms collected by Maxim, the French forager. My lunch was a work of art with homemade flatbread with duck and decorated with edible flowers and glorious brambles.  Amazing. Sounds a bit pretentious but the atmosphere is very friendly and relaxed.   I'll be going back.  

http://www.glasgowwestend.co.uk/drugstore-social-cafeand-cocktail-bar-yorkhill-glasgow/

Might one suggest Mother India's Restaurant (Westminster terrace) for a lunch? Not a soup and sandwich place but check it out and you'll find it's well worth the visit. Try 2/3 small plates. I'll guarantee you'll want to return for a full dinner at some time. Open for lunches Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays.

http://www.glasgowwestend.co.uk/mary-irvines-blog-cellar-mother-india/

Edited by maryspetses
forgot link!

Yes, you're right, CL.

Today I had lunch in Cafe Monza in Vine Street in Partick.  Great choice of panini and croissants with delicious fillings. The cafe is looking very bright and cheery for Christmas. Great vibe with people working on wifi, mums and toddlers, folk on their ownsome (like me) and couples. I'll definitely go back. Handy for the bus and train station.

Perfect place for tea and scones – The Butterscotch Bakery 175 Hyndland Rd, Glasgow G12 9HT

tea and scones butterscotch bakery.jpg

Went to Eusebi for dinner. The Parma board was sensational, the venison pasta delicious and yummy cheesecake.  Love this restaurant. 

Hoping to get into try out Celino's in Partick very soon. Looks fabulous

Finnieston is absolutely jumping these days. Seb and Mili - very attractive and friendly coffee shop.

seb and mili.jpg

Celino's Deli and Resturant, 235 Dumbarton Road, Glasgow . G11 6AB

Very impressive deli and restaurant at Partick Cross. It's busy!

I was back at Celino's this week.It really has got a lovely lively atmosphere.  I was up in Milngavie and went to Finsbay in the town centre. Very quirky decor and unusual menu. I had a kind of Scottish Croque Monsieur with black pudding.   I'm dying to try Eusebi's new brunch.