Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
Hingmie

Ladies who lunch

I have eaten out at lunch time the last 4 days. Monday was pretty mundane but still tasty at Sainsburys where i had soup, summer vegetable wi nice bread and a free read at the daily papers.

Tuesday, I traveled to the Dumbuck House Hotel which was very quiet, with only about 6 people (including me and friend) in a very large, attractive eating area. I had the steak n onion sandwich on ciabatta bread accompanied by side salad and chips. Tasty and the service was excellent. To tell the truth, the big guy taking orders and serving seemed grateful for something to do.

Wednesday, I was at Bibi's, near the Partick police station. Mexican style grub and I loved it. My eye was too big for my belly so couldn't finish but I had cream cheese stuffed jalapenos, breadcrumbed and deep fried. Smashing. Followed by beef chili nachos wi sour cream, salsa and guacamole. Absolutely the best and the staff are on their toes, very attentive.

Today I was in a wee Italian restuarant in Clydebank , Cafe Citta. Again, staff on their tootsies but not in your face. I had minestrone soup to start followed by chicken breast strips with peppercorn sauce. The sauce was delicious, peppery but not too hot, really creamy. The chips were very good, I think they were real, not frozen. The only critiscism I could possibly make is that there was a wee sad looking, meagre portion of salad on the side. However, I could get used to this life !! Toast with poached egg, beans or pate does not seem the same.

Slevers (slebbers frae where I grew up) and sputum are 2 things I can't cope with, I start boaking as I nam doing now. !!! Thanks HH , lovely

Serves you right for stuffing aw that grub intae yir gub aw week.

Pee ess, you must be an awfy dry kisser, btw. :)

Serves you right for stuffing aw that grub intae yir gub aw week.

How very dare you ! You have no idea of my personal circumstances !

How very dare you ! You have no idea of my personal circumstances !

I would like to get to know you better, though only in a biblical sense of course, pucker up, missus. :)

I would like to get to know you better, though only in a biblical sense of course, pucker up, missus. :)

You wish ! How does Jo put up with you ?

She don't, of course, much to my chargrin. Lissin' what I'm saying is, Pats away for the day, thurs nae mods abbot, what say you & me get down to some patty fingers?

I'd even take you to the Dalmuir Iulluminations this weekend, we could go dutch btw. Who's gonna know?

She don't, of course, much to my chargrin. Lissin' what I'm saying is, Pats away for the day, thurs nae mods abbot, what say you & me get down to some patty fingers?

I'd even take you to the Dalmuir Iulluminations this weekend, we could go dutch btw. Who's gonna know?

Me, the owner of my thoughts and actions, that's who. You are taking a lot for granted, who is to say I would want your company ? BTW I am already going to the Dalmuir illuminations, of course. I still live in dear old Clydebank and my weans n grandweans think the park is the businness. Tis known by the grandweans as Granny's park.

So what's with all the lunching oot Hingmie, trying to avoid the tally man :lol:

No Maggs, I am just incredibly popular ! :lol:

Actually, I am returning to work after longish absence and trying to cram in all the "meet ups" I had promised to do before then. Time has a way of escaping, doesn't it ?

No Maggs, I am just incredibly popular ! :lol:

Actually, I am returning to work after longish absence and trying to cram in all the "meet ups" I had promised to do before then. Time has a way of escaping, doesn't it ?

It certainly does, I have been of work for 5 weeks, returning next week. I had ideas I would have lots of lovely catch up lunches, unfortunately it didn't work out that way. Have to say though wouldn't mind working just a couple of days a week, this not having to set the alarm is luxurious.

It certainly does, I have been of work for 5 weeks, returning next week. I had ideas I would have lots of lovely catch up lunches, unfortunately it didn't work out that way. Have to say though wouldn't mind working just a couple of days a week, this not having to set the alarm is luxurious.

I am doing a "phased return" which means shorter working week to begin with gradually building back up to full time. I am going off again mid november for another op but recovery time should not be so long for this one.

I am doing a "phased return" which means shorter working week to begin with gradually building back up to full time. I am going off again mid november for another op but recovery time should not be so long for this one.

Make sure the phasing is nice and gentle, Hingmie and don't you go rushing back before you are ready, Maggs.

I had a very nice lunch date on Monday at Mother India's Cafe, first time I had been there and was highly impressed. The food was delicious.

Make sure the phasing is nice and gentle, Hingmie and don't you go rushing back before you are ready, Maggs.

I had a very nice lunch date on Monday at Mother India's Cafe, first time I had been there and was highly impressed. The food was delicious.

I was at Mother India cafe last week. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Some friends are going tonight and I think another poster mentioned going there too. Another place recommended by a friend yesterday was La Bodega in South Street. Tapas and salsa music and dancing. Sounded like a really fun night.I have" put my name down" for next visit which I hope will be soon.

I was at Mother India cafe last week. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Some friends are going tonight and I think another poster mentioned going there too. Another place recommended by a friend yesterday was La Bodega in South Street. Tapas and salsa music and dancing. Sounded like a really fun night.I have" put my name down" for next visit which I hope will be soon.

I've heard La Bodega is great fun. Look forward to you reporting back, Hingmie. Just don't wear yourself out. Your work awaits you, you know. :lol:

All of a sudden it's your park? Sheesh! Just like a woman. Cancell the popcorn btw. B)

Hingmie, how were the illuminations in your park?

Hingmie, how were the illuminations in your park?

Park was very busy last night for the switching on ceremony, The lights are lovely. Busy again tonight. the dry weather has been a bonus. Will have another wee wander around again tomorrow night with some friends.

Park was very busy last night for the switching on ceremony, The lights are lovely. Busy again tonight. the dry weather has been a bonus. Will have another wee wander around again tomorrow night with some friends.

I've got a lot on tomorrow but maybe I can figure out how to pop along for a wee while. We used to have great fun there years ago when we were young. Spotting the talent. B)

I've got a lot on tomorrow but maybe I can figure out how to pop along for a wee while. We used to have great fun there years ago when we were young. Spotting the talent. B)

Still a very popular hangout for young teens. They arrive in droves on weekend nights. Can get noisy and a bit rowdy, lots of under age drinking going on. What their parents make of the state of them when they arrive home, I don't know. Of course maybe the parents are in a state aswell :(

Still a very popular hangout for young teens. They arrive in droves on weekend nights. Can get noisy and a bit rowdy, lots of under age drinking going on. What their parents make of the state of them when they arrive home, I don't know. Of course maybe the parents are in a state aswell B)

God knows, I feel for them. We couldn't drink, we were in charge of bicycles. :(

When you think back it kind of brings it home how much things have changed as maybe the odd wild boy had a can or two but definitely none of the girls touched alcohol.

God knows, I feel for them. We couldn't drink, we were in charge of bicycles. B)

When you think back it kind of brings it home how much things have changed as maybe the odd wild boy had a can or two but definitely none of the girls touched alcohol.

We couldn't afford to buy drink and there was never any lying about the home that could be "borrowed". I know my parent's had to save up for the new year drink and can remember whisky glasses were like largish thimbles. They were decorated with things like Highland dancers or Scottish scenes and I think I even bought my mum a set for her Christmas once. Another thing I remember buying was "cocktail cigarettes", the cigarette paper was not the usual white but all different pastel colours . Thought they were the height of sophistication, so I did.

We couldn't afford to buy drink and there was never any lying about the home that could be "borrowed". I know my parent's had to save up for the new year drink and can remember whisky glasses were like largish thimbles. They were decorated with things like Highland dancers or Scottish scenes and I think I even bought my mum a set for her Christmas once. Another thing I remember buying was "cocktail cigarettes", the cigarette paper was not the usual white but all different pastel colours . Thought they were the height of sophistication, so I did.

I remember the wee 'short' glasses, Hingmie, and the Sobranie fags. Don't think they did me as much harm as the Gauloises, they were the fuming accessory of choice at a later stage. B)