Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Pat

Scottish Education

I was intrigued by the news on BBC tonight about the primary school at Inversnaid, which has only two pupils, one ten and one eight. Their mum is the headmistress and other staff include:

a part-time classroom assistant, a part-time teacher and a part-time cleaner. It costs £108,000 a year.

The nearest school is in Aberfoyle - 15 miles away.

Stirling Council said it was committed to providing a "high quality education" to all children

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-11111187

What are they going to do next year when the boy goes to the 'big' school?

I'm not sure why she needs a part time assistant and a classroom assistant, this doesn't make sense. Does she have a conversation with herslef on parent/teacher nights.

The intinery for this school states

Primary 1 pupils are invited to meet and work with their new teacher and class mates on a

number of occasions during May and June. Our school operates a very successful buddy

system.[/quote]

That wouldn't be very hard

Perhaps ra maw/headie diz all the ithur jobs tae........and gets paid fur them as well

Hmm never thought of that Nota

Guest larrytrooper

I was intrigued by the news on BBC tonight about the primary school at Inversnaid, which has only two pupils, one ten and one eight. Their mum is the headmistress and other staff include:

a part-time classroom assistant, a part-time teacher and a part-time cleaner. It costs £108,000 a year.

The nearest school is in Aberfoyle - 15 miles away.

Stirling Council said it was committed to providing a "high quality education" to all children

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-11111187

What are they going to do next year when the boy goes to the 'big' school?

What is wrong with the schools in Gartocharn, Balloch, Alexandria or Drymen?

Could it be different councils ?

There is no public transport from Inversnaid to Aberfoyle in less than 3 hours !!

What is wrong with the schools in Gartocharn, Balloch, Alexandria or Drymen?

Could it be different councils ?

Think Drymen is Stirling. Balloch and Alexandria are West Dunbartonshirs as is Gartocharn, where they have 83 kids in the primary school so different scenario.

There is no public transport from Inversnaid to Aberfoyle in less than 3 hours !!

Three hours to travel 15 mile - that seems a long time. Still they would be cheaper laying on the transport for the weans. Must cost less than paying all those salaries not to mention the upkeep of the school.

Is there no a janny at the school? If the weans are sick do the staff still go in?

I've read this story with interest because I've just had a fairly trying couple of weeks trying to figure out what the flying flip our taxes are being used for by Glasgow City Council's Education Dept.

What's happened is this; on returning to 6th year after the Higher results, there's been a hellish scenario going on at the wean's school (and also other schools in GCC area that I'm aware of). Kids with As at Higher are being REFUSED the opportunity to sit Advanced Highers in certain subjects at certain schools. At the wean's it's Chemistry, Physics, Music and Modern Studies that we know of.

Private school children in Scotland are 8% of the total--- yet take 16% of Advanced Highers so yeah, a costly education indeed. I've spent the last fortnight looking at moving the wean to an alternative school which was the last thing I wanted to do but would have done it if I had to. :D

As it happens, despite her being told by her Year Head to 'take another two Highers instead', she made a direct approach to the Principal Teacher of the subject concerned, who has taken the trouble to intervene--and reorganise her entire timetable to accommodate the wean---with the proviso any free periods are spent solely on the Advanced Higher coursework. That's what I'd call a good teacher... :D

Other children have been less fortunate and many will now be moving school-- a complete disruption in their lives at a crucial time.

Now, it seems to me from observation of the wean's school that there's no shortage of special needs/remedial teachers, no shortage of ethnic minority liaison teachers, no shortage of resources to buss in kids from detention centres---which is something we'd all agree is a good thing. But if that means a shortage of resources that doesn't allow the academically bright hard-workers a chance to further their studies----something is WELL wrong if our able kids are being held back.

I hope the wean'll be alright--but if she succeeds it will be DESPITE the values GCC seems to attach to academic attainment, not because of 'em.

<you can tell I'm angry---you wouldn't like me when I'm angry... :lol: >

Guest westtender

I've read this story with interest because I've just had a fairly trying couple of weeks trying to figure out what the flying flip our taxes are being used for by Glasgow City Council's Education Dept.

What's happened is this; on returning to 6th year after the Higher results, there's been a hellish scenario going on at the wean's school (and also other schools in GCC area that I'm aware of). Kids with As at Higher are being REFUSED the opportunity to sit Advanced Highers in certain subjects at certain schools.

???

Why??

What's happened is this; on returning to 6th year after the Higher results, there's been a hellish scenario going on at the wean's school (and also other schools in GCC area that I'm aware of). Kids with As at Higher are being REFUSED the opportunity to sit Advanced Highers in certain subjects at certain schools. At the wean's it's Chemistry, Physics, Music and Modern Studies that we know of.

Private school children in Scotland are 8% of the total--- yet take 16% of Advanced Highers so yeah, a costly education indeed. I've spent the last fortnight looking at moving the wean to an alternative school which was the last thing I wanted to do but would have done it if I had to. :D

As it happens, despite her being told by her Year Head to 'take another two Highers instead', she made a direct approach to the Principal Teacher of the subject concerned, who has taken the trouble to intervene--and reorganise her entire timetable to accommodate the wean---with the proviso any free periods are spent solely on the Advanced Higher coursework. That's what I'd call a good teacher... :D

Other children have been less fortunate and many will now be moving school-- a complete disruption in their lives at a crucial time.

Now, it seems to me from observation of the wean's school that there's no shortage of special needs/remedial teachers, no shortage of ethnic minority liaison teachers, no shortage of resources to buss in kids from detention centres---which is something we'd all agree is a good thing. But if that means a shortage of resources that doesn't allow the academically bright hard-workers a chance to further their studies----something is WELL wrong if our able kids are being held back.

I hope the wean'll be alright--but if she succeeds it will be DESPITE the values GCC seems to attach to academic attainment, not because of 'em.

<you can tell I'm angry---you wouldn't like me when I'm angry... :lol: >

Hassle the weans and the parents can do without, especially when they've just been through the stress of working for exams then waiting for results.

I thought that the moves towards introducing baccalaureates for sixth year students was a move towards placing greater focus on the more able students.

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/News/Releases/2008/06/05095816

???

Why??

There's a few factors, I think.

Partly because of the perceived lack of jobs (and the competition to get into FE) a lot more kids than usual are staying on beyond 16 to do Int 1s and Int 2s--which fall between Standards and Highers.

There are teachers at her school who have to take 'composite' classes, meaning they're teaching kids at Int 1 and 2 simultaneously, or Int 2 and Higher. Advanced Higher (equivalent roughly to the A level) is about the same level as first year Uni, so in subjects where there's a big demand at Int1, Int 2 and Higher, there's not enough teacher time to dedicate to the Advanced Higher courses.

Whereas in at least one other local authority I know of, there were kids taking Advanced Higher music in third year, because the class sizes were approx 10:1 and lessons could be more focussed on individual need.

I wonder why there is a school in Inversnaid at all. Why was it built? Surely there was never a large enough population to warrant it.

Hassle the weans and the parents can do without, especially when they've just been through the stress of working for exams then waiting for results.

I thought that the moves towards introducing baccalaureates for sixth year students was a move towards placing greater focus on the more able students.

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/News/Releases/2008/06/05095816

This quali is not available in all schools in Glasgow as yet. And for those who are introducing it, it's only for students who fit into certain subject criteria.

While this may help some---it doesn't help all who wish to have a rounded education across many disciplines at Advanced Higher.

There are kids I know who have As in one science that they're really into (and good at) and wish to further that to Advanced. Likewise kids who have A in a modern Language who don't fit in to this latest 'fast-tracking' Language initiative.

Fiona Hyslop, btw, is now the Culture Minister. How easily the Education Brief is shifted between those who know little and probably care less.

This quali is not available in all schools in Glasgow as yet. And for those who are introducing it, it's only for students who fit into certain subject criteria.

While this may help some---it doesn't help all who wish to have a rounded education across many disciplines at Advanced Higher.

There are kids I know who have As in one science that they're really into (and good at) and wish to further that to Advanced. Likewise kids who have A in a modern Language who don't fit in to this latest 'fast-tracking' Language initiative.

Fiona Hyslop, btw, is now the Culture Minister. How easily the Education Brief is shifted between those who know little and probably care less.

It sounds as though the schools need more teachers with a wider range of disciplines. Also sounds like a huge mess. Anyway, glad you managed to sort things out for the girl but looks as though she is one of the luckier ones. Going to be a lot of disappointed kids and furious parents. Not exactly an even playing field in Scottish education.

I wonder why there is a school in Inversnaid at all. Why was it built? Surely there was never a large enough population to warrant it.

It was build pre-1869, hingmie. I expect weans attended from outlying farms and villages but don't think it was ever a built up area. :D

It sounds as though the schools need more teachers with a wider range of disciplines. Also sounds like a huge mess. Anyway, glad you managed to sort things out for the girl but looks as though she is one of the luckier ones. Going to be a lot of disappointed kids and furious parents. Not exactly an even playing field in Scottish education.

Well now, that wins the Rolo Prize for Understatement of the Year!

By the way, the wean sorted it out for herself....sometimes 'luck' has nothing to do with it.

It was build pre-1869, hingmie. I expect weans attended from outlying farms and villages but don't think it was ever a built up area. :D

Pre 1869 eh. Well they must have fallen under someones radar when you think of all the changes, closures, amalgamations and re zoning that has taken place, even in the last 40 years. I also wonder if what RoloTomassi is concerned about re her daughter's education has to do with the introduction of the "Curriculum for Excellence". Not that I really know a thing about it, just heard it mentioned and to be honest no one was able to explain what it actually meant as to how or what the real differences in how children would be educated at school. (In comparison to my education or the comprehensive type, you understand.)

Well now, that wins the Rolo Prize for Understatement of the Year!

I would say droll.

By the way, the wean sorted it out for herself....sometimes 'luck' has nothing to do with it.

Yeah, I got that but by the sounds to me as if she was lucky to have her wishes listened to and some teachers willing to compromise.

Perhaps that view is not up your street. I apologise in advance - sounds as if you are in a mood right enough.

Good luck to your lassie. Even though it would appear she doesn't need it.

Re Curriculum for Excellence, Hingmie;

Why not try Googling it?

There's plenty of that going on hereabouts, after all.

I cannot be bothered to be honest. I only tried to put forward a notion as to why things were difficult for your child. I have done my time, both as a pupil and as a parent of the education system. I will say that I do not believe we, as a family, were terribly short changed. My education was pre comprehensive, the qualifying exam was in vogue. I was fortunate and went to a High school. Which I had to travel 8 miles to. To a town I was unfamiliar with and on public transport and at age 11/12 that was pretty scary. Sadly, in retrospect, I mucked it up but was fortunate to return to education as an adult learner. My children went to comprehensive schools. All 3 were different in their approach to education. e.g. My youngest had a really unfortunate attitude and relationship with his head teacher. He is now a successful tradesman(£££). My eldest has a degree and the middle child,just plods along but still makes a living and is happy. (lucky him, yes?)

Some of youse want to try and go by car from aberfoyle to inversnaid,maist o it is B- road single track then try it on public transport....if its available...plus no doubt the jobs at the school provide much needed rural income!

Some of youse want to try and go by car from aberfoyle to inversnaid,maist o it is B- road single track then try it on public transport....if its available...plus no doubt the jobs at the school provide much needed rural income!

Maybe need to invest in a tractor or horses. There cannae be too many heidies wi' two weans in their class. I can understand you stickin' up for them.

I still can't figure out why two pupils need a headmistress a teacher and a classroom assisitant ?

Well welcome to the club, Maggs. "The totally bemused". I cant believe an isolated place like Inversnaid needed a school in the first place.

Inversnaid did have four pupils until last month - but Michelle and Craig McPheat decided to instead send their kids Morgan-Leigha, eight, and Blair, five, to Aberfoyle Primary almost 15 miles away.

Mum-of-three Michelle, 29, of Stronachlachar, said: "They started off well when they joined the school but there were eights kids then.

"Since then the other children left, leaving just my two and Mrs Carter's. After that it just got worse and worse.

"Her two kids would get the best parts in the school plays. And Morgan-Leigha got into trouble for working too slowly. They couldn't do anything right.

"In the end it just got too much - they would come home upset and say they didn't want to go back." Michelle said her children are "much happier" being at Aberfoyle. She added: "I'm glad we took them out of Inversnaid."

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/news/3113623/Inversnaid-school-is-more-expensive-than-Eton.html#ixzz0xwjB44ia

I know I shouldn't but this made me laugh, even with just 4 pupils there was acrimony about the school play, how pathetic.

I know I shouldn't but this made me laugh, even with just 4 pupils there was acrimony about the school play, how pathetic.

I have been at school plays, hell I was even in some... If my mum was in charge I would have been the STAR... Human nature. lol