Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End

................... There's also a young black guy coming through the ranks of the labour party who inspires a wee bit of confidence in me (damned if I can remember his name) :-(. ....................

Chuka Umunna? I had to look that up. I've only heard him on telly but he comes across as very impressive for such a young man.

Forgive me G12, I named someone else before and had it deleted so I thought I should change it a wee bit, I assumed most would have an idea who I meant.

So, if I understand correctly, you knew who you wanted to name but were afraid it'd be censored so you plucked another name out of thin air???????????

Chuka Umunna? I had to look that up. I've only heard him on telly but he comes across as very impressive for such a young man.

That's the guy, bloody driving me nuts trying to remember his name. He has been on question time a few times and been very impressive.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/royal-cuts-could-make-charles-the-richest-king-in-british-history-2112315.html

Thank goodness we have our priorities correct, Gawd Bless Yer Mam (tugs forelock)

[Walks off whistling the International]

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/royal-cuts-could-make-charles-the-richest-king-in-british-history-2112315.

Thank goodness we have our priorities correct, Gawd Bless Yer Mam (tugs forelock)

[Walks off whistling the International]

Glad something has cheered you up, samsc, but you need to fix that link. :lol:

In the meantime something in the same newspaper has my blood boiling. Wide sweeping changes indeed with government plans to sell off huge areas of British woodland; making changes to laws that date back as far as the Magna Carta. Looks like they're set to 'go ape' with our land.

"Caroline Spelman, the Environment Secretary, will give the go-ahead to sell half of the 1.85m woodland acres run by the Forestry Commission". A third of the land is expected to be disposed of before 2015. The remainder will be sold off by 2020 and what's left given to community groups.

The land sales will be opposed by the Forestry Commission Trade Union, who state: "once it's sold it never comes back". The public will be denied access to land for which they feel ownership. Conservationists and the Green Party are not going to be at all happy.

Wonder if this will include Hampstead Heath?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/huge-areas-of-woodland-to-be-sold-by-government-2115153.html

There was a wonderful programme on BBC1 Scotland between 8pm-9pm tonight, Sunday, about Scotland's forests and trees with special mention of the Forestry Commission which, I now understand, was set up post WWI primarily to ensure a supply of timber in the event of another major world conflict.

That notwithstanding, the work that's being done in parts of Scotland to try to return tracts of land to grow a variety of trees is truly wonderful. Often the work is done by volunteers with a bit of Lottery money or public donation. The project at Carrifan is a perfect example of this. These folk go out on a regular basis to "re-create in the Southern Uplands of Scotland an extensive tract of mainly forested wilderness, with most of the rich diversity of native species present in the area before human activities became dominant".

Little of this will be truly visible for 100 years or so. They'll never see it, nor will we. Makes their efforts all the more praiseworthy, don't you think?

Last night it was not clear how much of the £200m Crown Estate profits the monarch would be entitled to each year.

That's good news, maybe she can use some of it to give her staff a Christmas party after all

There was a wonderful programme on BBC1 Scotland between 8pm-9pm tonight, Sunday, about Scotland's forests and trees with special mention of the Forestry Commission which, I now understand, was set up post WWI primarily to ensure a supply of timber in the event of another major world conflict.

That notwithstanding, the work that's being done in parts of Scotland to try to return tracts of land to grow a variety of trees is truly wonderful. Often the work is done by volunteers with a bit of Lottery money or public donation. The project at Carrifan is a perfect example of this. These folk go out on a regular basis to "re-create in the Southern Uplands of Scotland an extensive tract of mainly forested wilderness, with most of the rich diversity of native species present in the area before human activities became dominant".

Little of this will be truly visible for 100 years or so. They'll never see it, nor will we. Makes their efforts all the more praiseworthy, don't you think?

My friend Issi goes every year for a week with other volunteers to plant trees as part of the Trees for Life project.

She usually writes up her adventures for the website - I'm sure her 2010 adventure will arrive any day :lol:http://www.glasgowwestend.co.uk/people/issiadventures.php

http://www.treesforlife.org.uk/

Talking of cuts, my ear is still bleeding from when I shaved it earlier, new blades and ear hair, they just don't mix, btw.

Talking of cuts, my ear is still bleeding from when I shaved it earlier, new blades and ear hair, they just don't mix, btw.

Tip: stick a wee bit of hard toilet paper on it. :lol:

Eh?

I'm sure you've seen men with wee bits of paper stuck to their chin after a less than careful shave. I'm pretty sure they were tearing up the Izal. Anyway, hope it's not too sore, HH.

Patrisha is tryin to tell you that yer an arse! :lol:

Heidie, that is the height of misinterpretation. I was aiming to be helpful. :lol:

Heidie, that is the height of misinterpretation. I was aiming to be helpful. :lol:

Mibbes aye mibbes naw but it still hauds guid he is an arse.....hehehehehe :lol:

Ah mean who still cuts thumsel shavin at 64 years of age!

Mibbes aye mibbes naw but it still hauds guid he is an arse.....hehehehehe :lol:

Ah mean who still cuts thumsel shavin at 64 years of age!

No, HH. He's only 50.

Guest larrytrooper

Excellent program, the presenter has not been himself recently, the success has perhaps gone to his head as he seems to becoming a bit of a thespian om recent episodes.

Angela Eagle is asking if it's "panic stations at the Treasury?" B)

Looks like plans to cut child benefit could be unworkable. Child benefit is usually paid to the mother and she is under no obligation to tell the father that she receives this. There's nothing to force her to tell the taxman that her husband earns above the level whereby she would be no longer entitled to child benefit.

"In other words – it will become extremely hard for anyone enforcing the cut to figure out who is eligible and who isn’t, because they don’t know what the household earns."

http://liberalconspiracy.org/2010/10/28/how-child-benefit-cuts-could-blow-up-in-osbornes-face/

That was well thought out. :D And as if they've not got enough on their plate:

Boris is saying he will resist "Kosovo-style social cleansing".

He's putting his foot down in London where he is emphatic that there will be no families evicted from "where they have been living and have put down roots," on "his watch".

http://www.channel4.com/news/boris-johnson-joins-housing-benefit-row

Guest larrytrooper

Angela Eagle is asking if it's "panic stations at the Treasury?" B)

Looks like plans to cut child benefit could be unworkable. Child benefit is usually paid to the mother and she is under no obligation to tell the father that she receives this. There's nothing to force her to tell the taxman that her husband earns above the level whereby she would be no longer entitled to child benefit.

http://liberalconspiracy.org/2010/10/28/how-child-benefit-cuts-could-blow-up-in-osbornes-face/

That was well thought out. :D And as if they've not got enough on their plate:

He's putting his foot down in London where he is emphatic that there will be no families evicted from "where they have been living and have put down roots," on "his watch".

http://www.channel4.com/news/boris-johnson-joins-housing-benefit-row

Does any one on here think that if a previous Chief constable said 80% of petty crime in Central London was carried out by black youths,living in the centre, then if their families were moved out of the centre, would that reduce the petty crime, or would the vacuum be filled by the others who lived there, or are the plans to put wealthier families into the place the others were moved from and they are perhaps hoping that would mean less crime?

Or is this just a move to have the valuable Central properties sold off or revalued so that higher council tax could then be paid?

Boris is talking shite when he says Kosovo style, if he had seen that he would have had a wee bit more respect for the people referred to in Kosovo.

Angela Eagle is asking if it's "panic stations at the Treasury?" rolleyes.gif

http://liberalconspi...-osbornes-face/

That was well thought out. laugh.gif And as if they've not got enough on their plate:

http://www.channel4....ing-benefit-row

Boris Johnson is an embarrassment to London - a comlete walking disaster.

There is a real problem to be tackled here but they are tackling it from the wrong side. It's landlords that need to be tackled not cash strapped local authorities or families in need of housing.

Guest larrytrooper

Boris Johnson is an embarrassment to London - a comlete walking disaster.

There is a real problem to be tackled here but they are tackling it from the wrong side. It's landlords that need to be tackled not cash strapped local authorities or families in need of housing.

Hi Harper,

You are right, it is landlords who are getting away with these prices, surely though that means the local council can intervene with a license, then Govt., can cap what they will pay out? Would that not help?

Glasgow (which is not a very forward thinking group of councilors have managed to do a lot to stop landlords going over the top) lead the way for Boris????

Hi Harper,

You are right, it is landlords who are getting away with these prices, surely though that means the local council can intervene with a license, then Govt., can cap what they will pay out? Would that not help?

Glasgow (which is not a very forward thinking group of councilors have managed to do a lot to stop landlords going over the top) lead the way for Boris????

Boris may be London Mayor, (not to mention campaigning for re-election) but he is a Tory and is already saying his words were misunderstood.

Most local authorities already have caps on housing benefit based on local property values and letting averages. I am not sure if these are formalised but they certainly exist and claims are frequently queried if they are wide off the mark. The current proposals are unworkable and will not be implemented. Yes, there are some swanky London Boroughs and a few families who may be benefiting from posh addresses funded by HB but that really isn't the norm.

Boris may be London Mayor, (not to mention campaigning for re-election) but he is a Tory and is already saying his words were misunderstood.

Most local authorities already have caps on housing benefit based on local property values and letting averages. I am not sure if these are formalised but they certainly exist and claims are frequently queried if they are wide off the mark. The current proposals are unworkable and will not be implemented. Yes, there are some swanky London Boroughs and a few families who may be benefiting from posh addresses funded by HB but that really isn't the norm.

If it wasn't such a serious issue I would be laughing my head off as the proposals for cuts to the housing budgets all seem to be falling apart at the seams.

The Government appear to be emphatic regarding their plans to continue with "the biggest shake-up to social housing since the welfare state was created, with a series of radical changes to rents and savage cuts to the budget for building new homes".

Last the chancellor announced a cut to the housing budget in England from £8.4 bn to £4.4 bn over the next four years "with any new properties being built by "massively increasing" rent to up to 80% of the market rate".

However, the National Housing Federation, sees a flaw in this plan and points out that this would result in an increased welfare bills as most tenants charged the new rates would have their rents paid for through housing benefit.

Even if people get jobs would they be able to afford the high rents?

Looks like they are planning to trap even more people into receipt of benefits. Odd!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2010/oct/28/housing-benefit-cap-plan-backfire